'Simplified Article' Note-Clipper Format - Some Notes Contents Align Left, some Align Centre -Random?

RavBoy

I'm using EN 6.15.4.7934 (307934) Public (CE Build ce-53.4.6770), on a Windows 10, 64-bit laptop.

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed that when using the 'Simplified Article' option on the EN Web Clipper (I use latest Chrome Browser 70.0.3538.77) that some notes that get created have ALL its contents centre-aligned whilst others are Left-aligned, anyone one else get this and found how to control???

Images don't appear to be a factor in whether or not the note ends up as centre or left-aligned, so appears to be random.  In the past when I clicked on 'simplified article' (prior to saving/clipping the note) the chrome browser screen would centre all the page-contents and remove all the page-noise so as to make readability very easy...and then the subsequent note created would follow this centre alignment format.

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  When you say "centre aligned",  do you mean there's a ragged margin at both sides,  or that there are wide margins on the left and right of a central column of text?

We had a similar query a little while ago - although then it was: why is the clip showing such wide margins when it used to be left-aligned?  IIRC we found that when clipping there were wide left and right margins,  but the saved note was properly left-aligned.  Don't know that there was any intermittent switch between the two.

41 minutes ago, gazumped said:

When you say "centre aligned",  do you mean there's a ... wide margins on the left and right of a central column of text?

Yep, that's what I mean.

43 minutes ago, gazumped said:

IIRC we found that when clipping there were wide left and right margins,  but the saved note was properly left-aligned.  Don't know that there was any intermittent switch between the two.

Yeah, exactly...I'm getting an intermittent switch of how the saved 'simplified-article' note's contents are aligned.  In the past a webpage clipped via the 'simplified article' option would always be saved 'centre-aligned' (wide margins left & right)...but now it seem to be random, some are left aligned, some notes are centred...strange. In any case i do prefer the left-aligned view....cheers

I'm just running a couple of tests...and tried to clip a web-page, again only using the 'simplified article' option in webclipper. The page I clipped was https://www.dogschool.com.au/  for the 1st time the clipper not only failed to show me a simplified view (prior to saving) but the resulting saved file/note was garbled and looks like a 'full article' clip...is it the site I tried clipping or is it my clipper?...I have EN clipper Version: 7.6.1.4-edbe2a2

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  So here's my history and theory of clipping.

TL:DR - sometimes you need to be flexible when clipping... :)  Edit:  but see your notes online vs in the desktop app to be sure!

> I used to use Firefox clipper,  which saved to my local database rather than the cloud.
> I briefly switched to Chrome because the clipper had more options,  but then went back to Firefox because Chrome couldn't save locally
> (My preference for local saving being because some 'simplified' saves still include too much: I clipped part of a page, then copy/ pasted the rest)
> Then Finagles Theory of Harmonisation* kicked in,  and Firefox got the extra features that Chrome had - but also saved to the cloud only
> And I got fed up with both Chrome and Firefox because they ate too much of my (unexpandable) 8MB of RAM and moved to Vivaldi** - a cut-down Chrome clone
> Vivaldi has a built-in page grabber*** (great feature: see below*) which clips to PNG or JPG rather well,  so on occasion I'll JPG a page rather than clip it
> Here's my experience with your link

* Actually,  that's the Finagle-Gaz theory that I just created: briefly - anything working cross-platform will include the plain standard features of all platforms,  but none of the really great features of any single one.

** Vivaldi does lots of nice things,  but won't work with the formatting links in the Forum - hence the ">" rather than bullets... Irony,  huh? ?

*** Other page-grabbers are available.  Nimbus do a nice one...

This is what the Clipper looks like for Article clips... (the actual note is unusable - no images survived)

https://www.evernote.com/l/AAIPbddwLAlBsJ4XbclWhOlKXQmsbZhDiiU/

EDIT:  The note is unusable in the app,  but readable in the web version!

2007068881_Clipper-article.jpg.41fb980f18b48e517a71eaae10100e84.jpg

This is a Simplified clip... (note again unusable - no images and distorted text)

https://www.evernote.com/l/AAKDscgffI9ChbbM0dFd-jRO7z4AghluJvQ/

1234297456_Clipper-simplified2.jpg.4cbda496b3340eb33e8eef0df851f287.jpg

And this is a straight JPG from Vivaldi's Capture Page - the note works for me.

2038204298_straightpagegrab-edited.thumb.jpg.227e3acad733d6bba94d391bbea32711.jpg

• Level 5*

Hmmph.  Just found out that messing around with those clipped notes also crashed my Evernote!  ?

EDIT:

<Sigh> but then I got the app back (after the obligatory crash form) and moving / sharing the notes works fine - see post above!

9 hours ago, gazumped said:

sometimes you need to be flexible when clipping... :)  Edit:  but see your notes online vs in the desktop app to be sure!

** Vivaldi does lots of nice things...

This is a Simplified clip... (note again unusable - no images and distorted text)

https://www.evernote.com/l/AAKDscgffI9ChbbM0dFd-jRO7z4AghluJvQ/

1234297456_Clipper-simplified2.jpg.4cbda496b3340eb33e8eef0df851f287.jpg

Hey @gazumped thanks a lot for your history/theory of clipping...very insightful. I hadn't heard of Vivaldi, but when I checked it out just now it looks really good....just not sure if I'm sufficiently motivated to endure the pain of swapping when 'if it ain't broke...' floats in my mind.  

I use EN-for-Windows 95% of the time, so checking EN Web to see if a 'simplified-article' note formats-or-looks different on the Web App v Desktop, wouldn't be practical for me.  Interesting to see how clipping this page via 'simplified-article' also failed for you...so I guess it depends on how the underlying website is structured/codes and its interaction with the clipper.

Final question: Did you ever learn of or find a way to control whether a saved-note created via the Clipper 'simplified-article' option could have it's margins (contents alignment) controlled or altered after the fact?

Thanks again Gazumped...love your input...cheers

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, RavBoy said:

Did you ever learn of or find a way to control whether a saved-note created via the Clipper 'simplified-article' option could have it's margins (contents alignment) controlled or altered after the fact?

Nope,  sorry - once something as complicated as a web page is clipped,  your last,  desperate hope is to edit the actual note content - which is not a task that anyone undertakes unless reasonably desperate and very clued-up.  There's no options within Evernote.  There has been some discussion,  but...

5 hours ago, gazumped said:

.....not a task that anyone undertakes unless reasonably desperate and very clued-up.

Indeed!  I just read the post you linked to and tried editing the .enex file in Notepadd++  ...Geez Louise good luck with that unless you've done computer science, you're a coder, or some other type of computer boffin head

• Level 5*

Yup.  You can change the file extension to HTML if you like,  and have a go in a web editor,  where the code makes slightly more sense,  but I've tried before and had... mixed... results.  Like I said.  Desperate!

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, gazumped said:

Yup.  You can change the file extension to HTML if you like,  and have a go in a web editor,  where the code makes slightly more sense,  but I've tried before and had... mixed... results.  Like I said.  Desperate!

Yeah, and you have to delete the header info that gets added to the note, edit the create date if you want, and add whatever tags back.  With Notepad++ IAC. 

I only do this for clips that are totally hosed relative to formatting.  Image of before note and note after simply opening and saving with Notepad++.  FWIW.

ScreenClip.png.4cc140159359dce818dab7193c1e3fd9.png     ScreenClip.png.7d55c216aab68165e2dde37a369eaede.png

Archived