Multiple Notes in tabs but with unhelpful titles ("All Notes")

I understand it should be possible to open multiple notes in different tabs in the Mac desktop client (I'm running 7.5.2 and High Sierra)...I've seen screenshots in this forum to that effect.

I'm having trouble getting this to happen in a reasonable way.

1. There are two ways I can open multiple notes in tabs:
    1. By selecting multiple notes in the All Notes pane, right clicking and selecting "Open Notes in New Tabs"; this works, but the tabs are entitled "All Notes" rather than with the title of the notes I opened (see screenshot attached).  I can't think of any situation where this is useful2018-10-27_evernote1.thumb.jpg.6851a0521244dd7423c01bc9a879be8b.jpg
    2. By selecting multiple notes in the All Notes pane, right clicking, and selecting "Open Notes in New Windows"; this works and is more useful, because it opens a new window with tabs for each selected note, appropriately titled.
  2. There doesn't seem to be a way to do what I really want to do, which is to have a note open and then be able to open a second (or third...) note in that same window but in a new tab.  Can that be done?
  • Level 5*

There are two types of windows, which leads to two types of tabs;
1. note list window and note list tabs
2. note window and note tabs

>>By selecting multiple notes in the All Notes pane, right clicking and selecting "Open Notes in New Tabs"

You selected individual notes, but each tab represent a list of notes.  
The title shows the criteria of the note list

Here's my note list tab example89238615_ScreenShot2018-10-27at17_09_47.png.b035833286fd4a11b8d8bb187ee0cb0e.png
The title coresponds to the list selection:
All Notes, Notebook @Inbox, Notebook Filing?

>>By selecting multiple notes in the All Notes pane, right clicking, and selecting "Open Notes in New Windows";

You can do individual notes as "New Windows"  You can even consolidate the windows as tabs.
Here's my note tab example923045598_ScreenShot2018-10-27at17_20_23.png.d8c30bb4d5c4955894647de2edcc3132.png

Window > Merge All Windows

There are two typs of tabs;
1. note list tabs
2. note tabs

This is a very helpful distinction.  Thanks!

You selected individual notes, but each tab represent a list of notes.

I see that, but I don't understand why things work this way.  If I right-click on a note in the "All Notes" pane and select "Open note in new  tab," I'm expecting the NOTE to open in a new tab (because that's what the context menu says!), not to have a new LIST of notes open in a new tab, with the note I selected in the right hand pane.

You can do individual notes as "Open as New Windows"  You can even consolidate the windows as tabs.
Here's my note tab example923045598_ScreenShot2018-10-27at17_20_23.png.d8c30bb4d5c4955894647de2edcc3132.png

Window > Merge All Windows

This is helpful!  It isn't entirely intuitive the way this works, but now that I know the drill, I can use it.  (I suspect what is happening here is that I have set the system to open windows in new tabs, so when I select "Open as New Windows" Evernote is following the system setting.  Just for curiosity, if I did NOT have the system set this way, would there be any way to get multiple notes in a tabbed window other than using Window > Merge All Windows?

Thanks again for your help.

• 1 year later...

I am having the same issue. If the content of one tab is a single note, I don't see why Evernote is not showing the title of that note, no matter how I got there. This is unhelpful because you cannot recognize what the content of each tab is, and inconsistent with the mental model that users have of how a tab should behave (browser navigation).

• Level 5*
26 minutes ago, LucaBen said:

If the content of one tab is a single note, I don't see why Evernote is not showing the title of that note, no matter how I got there.

If the content is a single note, the note title is shown   
If the content is a note list (like AllNotes), the list title is shown

If I search within all notes using keywords and then select a note within the group, there's no value in having the tab title display "All notes". First of all, it's wrong, because it's not showing all notes, but rather a specific search result within those notes. Second, I don't see why the name of the tab should be based on what appears on the middle pane. If I select one note within that pane, I expect to see the name of the selected note as a tab name. That would help me recognize the note that I need and open it when multiple notes are opened in multiple tabs, regardless how I got there (normally through search, most of the times). While having all tabs named "All notes" it completely pointless.

• Level 5*
34 minutes ago, LucaBen said:

If I select one note within that pane, I expect to see the name of the selected note as a tab name.

Open the note in it's own window - the name of the note appears as the tab name837152486_ScreenShot2020-06-19at10_02_58AM.png.d3fbbf121763ab83c5a9e8170ac66140.png

>>I don't see why the name of the tab should be based on what appears on the middle pane.

That's exactly what I expect to see
I'd prefer it actually show the query context

This is clearly a UX flaw and should be fixed. I suspect it won't, as the team at evernote doesn't seem very keen on hearing the users' feedback. So I am probably wasting my time here. Thank you for your reply, but such workarounds are just cumbersome.

• Level 5*
35 minutes ago, LucaBen said:

This is clearly a UX flaw and should be fixed.

There is a request posted at the note linked below   
To indicate your support, use the vote button at the top left corner of the request discussion   
There are currently 21 votes

• 9 months later...

I would like to upvote this suggestion and add one thing to it.  Put a switch in preferences that allows the user to choose whether they want note titles or notebook titles in the tab title area.