Evernote OneNote integration

Gear64

Despite my disdain for OneNote, I work in Microsoft ecosystem. At a minimum I need to use OneNote as a shared resource in specific group contexts. Additionally whether a fact or just drinking the Kool-Aid in an MS world; I think professionally OneNote is perceived to be more secure.  With that in mind I was curious if anyone knows of direct integration between the two. I suppose direct integration may circumvent any additional security perceptions, but maybe a way that the better search of EN could get me more easily to desired OneNote note.  It looks like I could potentially create links (like the internal links of EN), and paste them to EN notes.  Does anyone else do this as a potential buffer to more sensitive data an employer may be more comfortable with being stored in OneNote?

• Level 5*

Not a direct answer to your question, but I just keep all work items in local notebooks.  That takes care of the security concern.  I rarely need to access work notes from any device other than my work laptop so this approach works ok for me.  That said I wish they would implement notebook level encryption.  I would find that a better overall solution.

11 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

Not a direct answer to your question, but I just keep all work items in local notebooks.  That takes care of the security concern.  I rarely need to access work notes from any device other than my work laptop so this approach works ok for me.  That said I wish they would implement notebook level encryption.  I would find that a better overall solution.

That alternative didn't occur to me.  The only draw back is that I have two regularly used work computers.  A desktop that get's used more administratively, and a laptop that's gets used in more project related activities, but really multi-tasking enough both are open and fully loaded with various software anytime I'm in the office.

• Level 5*
35 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

That said I wish they would implement notebook level encryption.

My preference is end-to-end database encryption; completely transparent to the user.
Currently, I'm encrypting sensitive data on a one-of basis; and trusting Evernote with the rest of my data. 

I lnow Evernote wants to expand into the business market and I think this should be the first requirement.

39 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

I'm warming up to this idea. The usage of shared OneNote is almost negligible in my day to day activities.  90% of work related stuff I put into Evernote is publicly available, I'm just indexing it for easy reference. It could be feasible to have just customer/project related notes in a local notebook just on my laptop. Thanks.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Gear64 said:

Additionally whether a fact or just drinking the Kool-Aid in an MS world; I think professionally OneNote is perceived to be more secure.

Don't know if it is worth the effort, but you could put your EN data base in a VeraCrypt (or the like) container.  That should protect EN data on your devices, local or synced notebooks, usual away from the computer protections in place.  Don't know which of the EN or MS servers are the safest.

FWIW, not something I have done with EN.  Though I do use the method from my personal financial software:  1 for protection, and 2 so I can back up to DropBox after each use.  DropBox just sees a 2GB blob.  

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, Gear64 said:

I'm warming up to this idea. The usage of shared OneNote is almost negligible in my day to day activities.  90% of work related stuff I put into Evernote is publicly available, I'm just indexing it for easy reference. It could be feasible to have just customer/project related notes in a local notebook just on my laptop. Thanks.

You are welcome, also don't forget the user is on the hook to back up any local notebooks since they stay out of the cloud. 

Archived