CTRL + ALT + N : the new note doesn't "pop to the front". Can this be solved?

Hi everyone,

I just learned that the CTRL + ALT + N keyboard shortcut allows you to create a new note from everywhere in Windows (I'm using Windows 7, 64bit by the way).
But when I do this, the new note doesn't pop to the front of my desktop. It's minimized and lumped together with all my other opened Evernote windows, and blinking yellow: see screenshot.

image.png.486b075633677afc48bad53b4576316c.png

What I want is to be able to start writing immediately. I don't want to have to click on my Evernote icon and look for the new note (among all my other opened notes).

Does anyone know how to solve this?

• Level 5*

Hi.  Evernote > Tools > Options > Note,  tick 'create new note in a new window'

Edit:  sorry - didn't read that through.  If the problem is that a new note is opening but it's one of several notes you have open,  I'm not sure there is a way to make the new one jump to the top of the pile...

Hey gazumped,

Thanks so much for responding.

Unfortunately, my problem is indeed that the new note so created (with 'create new note in a new window' CHECKED) doesn't pop to the "top". It actually does jump to the top of the pile among all Evernote notes, but it doesn't jump to the top of my desktop if _any_ other program windows are in front of it (Chrome browser, Firefox browser, Windows explorer folders, etc).

And that's what I'd like to have: to have the new note jump to the top of my desktop so that I can simply start writing.

Can anyone else help?
Does it maybe have to do with any settings of my taskbar?

I'm not sure there's anything we can do. It works for some users (me and others) and not for others. As far as I can tell, it's Windows.  Changes in Windows have made forcing yourself to the top much more difficult. (In the past, I've often cursed out other programs that do that because I'm happily typing away and suddenly this other program is taking my input.)

• Level 5*

Apropos?

BOOL SetForegroundWindow( HWND hWnd );

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/api/winuser/nf-winuser-setforegroundwindow

Remarks

The system restricts which processes can set the foreground window. A process can set the foreground window only if one of the following conditions is true:

• The process is the foreground process.
  • The process was started by the foreground process.
  • The process received the last input event.
  • There is no foreground process.
  • The process is being debugged.
  • The foreground process is not a Modern Application or the Start Screen.
  • The foreground is not locked (see LockSetForegroundWindow).
  • The foreground lock time-out has expired (see SPI_GETFOREGROUNDLOCKTIMEOUT in SystemParametersInfo).
  • No menus are active.

An application cannot force a window to the foreground while the user is working with another window. Instead, Windows flashes the taskbar button of the window to notify the user.

A process that can set the foreground window can enable another process to set the foreground window by calling the AllowSetForegroundWindow function. The process specified by dwProcessId loses the ability to set the foreground window the next time the user generates input, unless the input is directed at that process, or the next time a process calls AllowSetForegroundWindow, unless that process is specified.

The foreground process can disable calls to SetForegroundWindow by calling the LockSetForegroundWindow function.

Archived