Unable to save HTML to disk.

I'm trying to backup my 17000+ notes by selecting them all and exporting them. But I immediately get the error "Unable to save HTML to disk." It doesn't matter which disk I ask it to save to (so it's not a disk error). Anyone else seen this or have an idea for a resolution?

• Level 5*

I'm not having a  problem with my daily/weekly exports, but I've seen reports from other users.

Can you isolate the problem to specific notes; possibly select  a small  collection of  notes.

HTML export works on some of my smaller notebooks, but it fails with the larger ones (that have thousands of notes). ENEX export works on the larger ones, but that's not very useful for importing into Zoho Notebook (as a backup in case EN goes belly-up). Each time I try to HTML export of the larger notebooks, it gives me a new note that it says is the problem. I delete / move one note and it gives me another as the cause. Feels like HTML export struggles with Notebooks over a certain size.

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, cameronreilly said:

I submitted a support ticket four days ago but haven't heard back yet. Does that sound unusual?

You should have received an automated response with a ticket number.
There's no timeframe for a response; four days is not unusual unless it was a critical issue.

Just reporting back on this issue. After working through it with Evernote Support for a few days, it seems to be related to a character limit on note titles.

"This issue with titles being larger than 246 characters running into export issues relates to how Evernote writes files to disk and titles longer than this limit would create folders with names longer than the file system allows."

Apparently I'll have to go through all of my notes and reduce the size of their titles.

Unfortunately, they didn't provide me with a solution, apart from trying to export, getting an error, find that note, change the title of that note - then repeat. So far I've had to change the titles on 20 notes and I'm still going. Only 17,000 notes to go. A script to sort notes by size of the titles would be handy.

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, cameronreilly said:

A script to sort notes by size of the titles would be handy.

How about using tag "LongTitle" to identify the notes

tell application "Evernote"
     set theNotes to selection

repeat with theNote in theNotes

set theTitle to title of theNote

set theLength to length of theTitle

if theLength > 200 then

assign tag "LongTitle" to theNote
          end if

end repeat
end tell

I was unable to export files just yesterday, and it turned out to be an untitled note that was the hold up.  I gave it a title, and all then exported smoothly.  I was only exporting one notebook with about 102 notes, though.

On 11/3/2018 at 12:13 AM, DTLow said:

How about using tag "LongTitle" to identify the notes

tell application "Evernote"
     set theNotes to selection

repeat with theNote in theNotes

set theTitle to title of theNote

set theLength to length of theTitle

if theLength > 200 then

assign tag "LongTitle" to theNote
          end if

end repeat
end tell

Wow, thanks DT. I actually asked one of my kids who is studying Python to work something out like this earlier today. I've never used Applescript before, and certainly not to script EN. But I'll give it a go!

• Level 5*
40 minutes ago, cameronreilly said:

@DTLow - that script seems to work for the most recent note (I added a few test notes with long titles) but it's not adding tags beyond the most recent note. Any ideas? Thanks.

The line    set theNotes to selection   refers to notes selected in Evernote
This can be one note, 10  notes, all notes, ...  You control this by selecting the notes before running the script.

Archived