Lanse1430

Simple way to reach the Templates, and to edit and rename

Idea

I would really like to simply have a button on the left navigation which directly opens a separate page with all the templates. There they can be edited, renamed etc..

As far as I can see, the only way to find the templates is to create a new note and then click on the Templates button. And if you want to edit an existing template you need to make a new note, apply a template and then edit it. And save it again under a new name..

• Like 2

18 replies to this idea

Is this for a particular Evernote client? E.g., Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, web?

I'm using Evernote for Mac and I don't know how templates work on Windows. But I guess the same functionality would be requested on Windows as well. I also use evernote on my Android phone, but I haven't found the need to open a new template there yet.

Agree - tried to do this today and figured I should be able to edit existing templates. Either I am missing how to do this or it can't be done. 

You have to be kidding that cannot edit saved templates.  This is a must have feature and should be simple to allow.  Creating a new note, applying a template, modifying it, saving it under a new name and deleting your original note is absurd.  I though this was a program promoting efficiency????

Bump

I'm on the Windows client.  You can access the template browser when applying to a new note, and you can rename there, but as far as I can tell there is no way to edit templates?  Am I dumb or is this a design flaw?  Please give us access to edit templates rather than resaving and deleting.  To many extra steps that make the template feature not worth it.

Also, can I ask for a feature request to have tags carry with templates?

Thanks!

I would love to see the ability to edit a template. The supplied ones are good but some have great features that when added to another template, would be perfect for the intended purpose. A design your own option would be awesome for iOS iPad penultimate

Seriously, the Evernote staff really did not think the use of this feature through if they haven't provided a means to edit existing templates.  I am a bit disappointed.  I thought the feature would be great. 

However, Evernote folks - if there is a way to edit templates - please let us know.

On 1/22/2019 at 9:52 AM, jborden said:

if there is a way to edit templates - please let us know.

I don't see one either other than uploading a new template and deleting the old one.  Seems strange to me ... I've upvoted this one too.

On 1/22/2019 at 9:52 AM, jborden said:

However, Evernote folks - if there is a way to edit templates - please let us know.

Easy - roll your own. Just save a note somewhere safe / convenient, and when you want a new instance, use the note copy or duplicate functionality to make a copy. In the WIndows client, you can preserve tags when you make a copy.

On 1/22/2019 at 2:52 PM, jborden said:

Seriously, the Evernote staff really did not think the use of this feature through if they haven't provided a means to edit existing templates.  I am a bit disappointed.  I thought the feature would be great. 

What about open as a new note, make amendments and save again as a template ?

3 hours ago, seaspray said:

What about open as a new note, make amendments and save again as a template ?

and then you need to delete the old templete ...yes, that is the only way to currently do it.  A better option would be to provide a way to directly edit the existing template.  As currently implemented I see no advantage to the template feature over the roll your own method we had been using.

I don't understand how the function to be able to edit your templates can't exist. I would like to have it as well.

I agree.  I would like to be able to modify and grow my templates as my needs change.  Please fix this?  I'm on a Mac.

• Like 1

On 2/14/2019 at 6:15 AM, s2sailor said:

A better option would be to provide a way to directly edit the existing template.  As currently implemented I see no advantage to the template feature over the roll your own method we had been using.

On 2/18/2019 at 3:44 AM, loynis.armitage said:

I don't understand how the function to be able to edit your templates can't exist. I would like to have it as well.

As per the above request, Evernote has not implemented a Template editor.
Personally, I have no problem using the standard note editor; (yes, it requires editing a note)

Actually, all my templates are saved as notes; they start as notes and I store them in both formats.  

Both formats have advantages and I use them interchangeably.

2 hours ago, DTLow said:

Both formats have advantages and I use them interchangeably.

Maybe I'm missing something.  What advantage do you see to using the new feature?  I see none, only extra steps especially if I decide to later update the template.

9 hours ago, s2sailor said:

Maybe I'm missing something.  What advantage do you see to using the new feature?  I see none, only extra steps especially if I decide to later update the template.

This is a switch; I'm usually explaining the advantages of templates-as-notes.

For the many users who can't handle the template-as-notes process,
the advantage is Evernote's Template process is a simplified process.

For myself, starting a new note, I now have an alternative process to pulling in a template.  
I like choices.

17 hours ago, DTLow said:

the advantage is Evernote's Template process is a simplified process.

Until they try to edit one ...

• Haha 1

I like choices too but I don't see why in this case the "simplified" templating function should need to be awful to edit in order to be simple. From my point of view the simplified process can stay the way it is now, with all its advantages. All that is really needed to support the not uncommon use case of editing a template is an option to access the list of templates without having to create a new note and a context menu entry to edit a template without having to create a new note. I don't see how that complicates anything, on the contrary the way it is implemented now is a major complication of the simple process of editing a template.