Lanse1430

Simple way to reach the Templates, and to edit and rename

Idea

I would really like to simply have a button on the left navigation which directly opens a separate page with all the templates. There they can be edited, renamed etc..

As far as I can see, the only way to find the templates is to create a new note and then click on the Templates button. And if you want to edit an existing template you need to make a new note, apply a template and then edit it. And save it again under a new name..

• Like 2

17 replies to this idea

Is this for a particular Evernote client? E.g., Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, web?

I'm using Evernote for Mac and I don't know how templates work on Windows. But I guess the same functionality would be requested on Windows as well. I also use evernote on my Android phone, but I haven't found the need to open a new template there yet.

I would love to see the ability to edit a template. The supplied ones are good but some have great features that when added to another template, would be perfect for the intended purpose. A design your own option would be awesome for iOS iPad penultimate

I agree.  I would like to be able to modify and grow my templates as my needs change.  Please fix this?  I'm on a Mac.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, DTLow said:

the advantage is Evernote's Template process is a simplified process.

Until they try to edit one ...

• Haha 1

Agree - tried to do this today and figured I should be able to edit existing templates. Either I am missing how to do this or it can't be done. 

You have to be kidding that cannot edit saved templates.  This is a must have feature and should be simple to allow.  Creating a new note, applying a template, modifying it, saving it under a new name and deleting your original note is absurd.  I though this was a program promoting efficiency????

Bump

I'm on the Windows client.  You can access the template browser when applying to a new note, and you can rename there, but as far as I can tell there is no way to edit templates?  Am I dumb or is this a design flaw?  Please give us access to edit templates rather than resaving and deleting.  To many extra steps that make the template feature not worth it.

Also, can I ask for a feature request to have tags carry with templates?

Thanks!

Seriously, the Evernote staff really did not think the use of this feature through if they haven't provided a means to edit existing templates.  I am a bit disappointed.  I thought the feature would be great. 

However, Evernote folks - if there is a way to edit templates - please let us know.

On 1/22/2019 at 9:52 AM, jborden said:

if there is a way to edit templates - please let us know.

I don't see one either other than uploading a new template and deleting the old one.  Seems strange to me ... I've upvoted this one too.

On 1/22/2019 at 9:52 AM, jborden said:

However, Evernote folks - if there is a way to edit templates - please let us know.

Easy - roll your own. Just save a note somewhere safe / convenient, and when you want a new instance, use the note copy or duplicate functionality to make a copy. In the WIndows client, you can preserve tags when you make a copy.

On 1/22/2019 at 2:52 PM, jborden said:

Seriously, the Evernote staff really did not think the use of this feature through if they haven't provided a means to edit existing templates.  I am a bit disappointed.  I thought the feature would be great. 

What about open as a new note, make amendments and save again as a template ?

3 hours ago, seaspray said:

What about open as a new note, make amendments and save again as a template ?

and then you need to delete the old templete ...yes, that is the only way to currently do it.  A better option would be to provide a way to directly edit the existing template.  As currently implemented I see no advantage to the template feature over the roll your own method we had been using.

I don't understand how the function to be able to edit your templates can't exist. I would like to have it as well.

On 2/14/2019 at 6:15 AM, s2sailor said:

A better option would be to provide a way to directly edit the existing template.  As currently implemented I see no advantage to the template feature over the roll your own method we had been using.

On 2/18/2019 at 3:44 AM, loynis.armitage said:

I don't understand how the function to be able to edit your templates can't exist. I would like to have it as well.

As per the above request, Evernote has not implemented a Template editor.
Personally, I have no problem using the standard note editor; (yes, it requires editing a note)

Actually, all my templates are saved as notes; they start as notes and I store them in both formats.  

Both formats have advantages and I use them interchangeably.

2 hours ago, DTLow said:

Both formats have advantages and I use them interchangeably.

Maybe I'm missing something.  What advantage do you see to using the new feature?  I see none, only extra steps especially if I decide to later update the template.

9 hours ago, s2sailor said:

Maybe I'm missing something.  What advantage do you see to using the new feature?  I see none, only extra steps especially if I decide to later update the template.

This is a switch; I'm usually explaining the advantages of templates-as-notes.

For the many users who can't handle the template-as-notes process,
the advantage is Evernote's Template process is a simplified process.

For myself, starting a new note, I now have an alternative process to pulling in a template.  
I like choices.