Note doesn't stay open if you leave an come back

If I'm editing a note on iOS, and I go away to another app. When I come back, there's a slight delay, and then it brings me to my notes list, so I have to reopen the note again. It's really annoying because I have to keep reopening the note. I feel like this is new, and it didn't used to happen. Did it??

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Has anyone reported this as a bug? If not, I will.
iOS 8.16.6.366049 on iPhone 6 with plenty of free space.

I had all my notes for a 6-week adventure, and this bug was a real PITA. I had to stop multiple times a day to wait for EN to take me away from the place I needed to read next (or where I wanted to add new content to existing notes), wait to get to the All Notes screen, find the note I just had open, wait for it to open, scroll (or search) to the place I just saw, but couldn't access, then resume what I was going to do. Often this was in a crowded spot, where I'd have to step to the side and look like the tourist I was hoping to not look like by having my research in Evernote.

• Level 5*
16 hours ago, jbrennan said:

Has anyone reported this as a bug? If not, I will.
iOS 8.16.6.366049 on iPhone 6 with plenty of free space.

I had all my notes for a 6-week adventure, and this bug was a real PITA. I had to stop multiple times a day to wait for EN to take me away from the place I needed to read next (or where I wanted to add new content to existing notes), wait to get to the All Notes screen, find the note I just had open, wait for it to open, scroll (or search) to the place I just saw, but couldn't access, then resume what I was going to do. Often this was in a crowded spot, where I'd have to step to the side and look like the tourist I was hoping to not look like by having my research in Evernote.

FYI, if you go to the Shortcuts screen, the star icon, recent notes are displaed there.  Workaround to get to last viewed note should EN recycle last position.

• Level 5*
On 11/11/2018 at 3:27 AM, jbrennan said:

Thanks. Same delay to get to recent notes.

Yeah, performance in general on the IOS app has dropped off precipitously in the last couple of releases.  On an older iPad EN is getting to the point of being useless, unless I open the app a couple of minutes before I need it.  Not so bad on a newer iPhone, but still much  slower than a year ago.  And I DON’T use offline notebooks.  Nothing to do with context changing, but a lot to do with dealing with it when it does. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I noticed same issue a few months ago.  Maybe started after the Sept 2018 update.  I also switch back-and-forth from EverNote to other Apps.  When I return to my “open” EverNote App, after a significant period of time, I’m taken back at EverNote “All Notes.” In order to get back to the Last Note I was working on, my hacks are:

HACK #1:

1) on IOS / iPhone:  Press “back Arrow” located upper left corner.

2). On IOS, Back Arrow takes me to:  “RECENT NOTES.”  The Notebook related to the last note I was viewing will be the first of the three “recently” opened notebooks.

3). Kind of a PITA because after I open the Notebook, I have to remember the Note Title & scroll to it.  Or, if I don’t remember Note name, I use Hack 2.

HACK 2: 

1) using Hack 1 Instructions 1 & 2:  With Last notebook OPEN, click on the 3 dots in the upper right corner (IOS), click on Note List Options.  Then click on “Date Open” & that will put Last Opened files on top of List.

I prefer my notes to automatically open to the last note I viewed, but something changed with EV & it doesn’t do that anymore.  Maybe there is a way to change how EV opens ?

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
2 minutes ago, kate0508 said:

I noticed same issue a few months ago.  Maybe started after the Sept 2018 update.  I also switch back-and-forth from EverNote to other Apps.  When I return to my “open” EverNote App, after a significant period of time, I’m taken back at EverNote “All Notes.” In order to get back to the Last Note I was working on, my hacks are:

HACK #1:

1) on IOS / iPhone:  Press “back Arrow” located upper left corner.

2). On IOS, Back Arrow takes me to:  “RECENT NOTES.”  The Notebook related to the last note I was viewing will be the first of the three “recently” opened notebooks.

3). Kind of a PITA because after I open the Notebook, I have to remember the Note Title & scroll to it.  Or, if I don’t remember Note name, I use Hack 2.

HACK 2: 

1) using Hack 1 Instructions 1 & 2:  With Last notebook OPEN, click on the 3 dots in the upper right corner (IOS), click on Note List Options.  Then click on “Date Open” & that will put Last Opened files on top of List.

I prefer my notes to automatically open to the last note I viewed, but something changed with EV & it doesn’t do that anymore.  Maybe there is a way to change how EV opens ?

It's random for me when returning to EN from another app, sometimes the last viewed note is there, sometimes it isn't.  My hack when not there is to click on the Star on the bottom of the screen which brings up recent notes and then go from there.

• 1 year later...

It’s aggravating enough that I have to keep finding where I left off in the middle of writing a fairly lengthy piece—particularly as I often jump around within a note—but I also lose all my undo stages, so if I accidentally obliterate a chunk of work, I better remember what it was or I’m screwed! 

I feel like this problem is the result of poor memory allocation on the iPad, as it takes forever to open my photos from within the app. It takes so long I think the app is frozen! This isn’t a problem on the iPhone.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have similar problem. I use Evernote for recipes. So I have a recipe on Evernote open in front of me in the ktchen. I turn away to get the tin of flour or whatever. I come back and evernote has closed my note. It has even cleared the search terms that I used to find the note! so to get back to my recipe I have to search for the note all over again!!!

😤MAJOR PITA. Isn't there a setting where I can set a default awake time so that this doesn't happen? ridiculous!

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...

Actually I do have exactly the same issue. Also for me cooking with recipes stored in Evernote got such a pain that I started taking a screenshot of the note and accessing it via Apple Photos app. 

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...

This is still a problem in June 2020. Evernote even closes the current note if you switch to landscape and back to portrait.

I spent so many hours to put the data in but it's such a pain to get back out. I like the suggestion above to screenshot the recipe so you can avoid having to use Evernote live.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

I am having the same issue, specifically when cooking, too, as I need to refer to the recipe repeatedly.  I've taken to screenshotting the part of the recipe I need and then opening that from photos - but this is an awful workaround, and Evernote should definitely keep the note open.  I now have my ipad specifically for cooking and have the screen timer auto-off to 'never' and keep it plugged in - so the screen is always on and the recipe note always open.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, tongsan said:

it's infuriating that evernote doesn't even acknowledge this issue. And I stupidly got a paid subscription. I won't renew it. 😡

Worse than that, they DO acknowledge it:

Aivan S. (Evernote Help and Learning) 

Aug 5, 2020, 11:41 PM PDT 

Hi Amy,

Thank you for contacting Evernote Customer Support. My name is Aivan, and I'll be assisting you with your concern.

I understand that when you leave the note you are working on, your note is no longer in edit mode when you return to it. This makes it hard to find where you left off.

I apologize for the inconvenience this is causing on your end. The development team are aware of this issue and are looking into addressing it.

While I don't have a definite time frame of when it will be resolved, please keep an eye out for future updates.

I appreciate your continued patience and understanding.

Most sincerely,

Aivan S.
Customer Support Representative

I have just posted this question that could/might be linked to the same issues.

I run Evernote on a iPad Air bought in 2014 that is up to date with all Apple updates.

I have an annoying syncing issue.

every time I look at Evernote it syncs. So I have to wait while this happens. This is not just syncing after I have changed a note. I swop between Evernote and other things very often and this delay every time I come back to Evernote is really irritating.

I also run Evernote on a 2nd devise Hawaii phone P30 lite and only syncs when I have changed a note.

how can I stop this unwanted sync. Thanks.

I’ve been a Premium user for 5 years now and the product has only gotten worse. They roll out more and more features that nobody seems to ever really test—or request—and they completely ignore the numerous pleas to fix the most irritating and frustrating issues that affect basic functionality—like keeping a note active in the background! As infuriating as this is—as it brings the creative process and flow to a dead stop every single time—it’s made so much worse by the EN dev team being “aware” of it while being completely incapable of fixing it. Seems like it should be pretty straightforward, but not if the dev team can’t ***** in a lightbulb. Maybe if they just said, “Sorry, we understand you’re having this problem, but we’re still figuring out how to use a toaster,” we’d stop using this forum to complain and go buy a pen and a pad of paper. 

• Like 1

I also have this issue, which is super annoying, and makes Evernote borderline unusable for what should be some of its killer applications - e.g., referring to a recipie while cooking, or checking items off a list as you complete them. Evernote still has some great core functions that are not available anywhere else and I love many of its features, but this needs to be fixed.

Thanks, I updated to 10.0 as soon as I saw your reply, and I agree it seems to be working better. Sometimes I get a weird flashing of the “Edit” button when I switch back to Evernote from another app, but it does seem to be staying on the same note, which is a major quality of life improvement. Weird that this has been annoying me for months, and I finally decided to post about it the same day the update dropped.

I installed the new version 10 on my iPad and iPhone and tested if I could reproduce this issue. And it looks like it’s solved! I can now switch between other apps and Evernote and Evernote retains the note and place in the note when I come back to Evernote. Very happy with this 🙂

Okay, I Installed 10.0 on my iPad. On the plus side, my note actually stayed open in edit mode in the background! So that’s awesome. On the bummer side, I keep getting a dialog at the top of my note that a copy has been made due to a conflict. The “view note” link in the box loads a note with the same title, but with empty content. I thought I’d finally gotten rid of the message by manually syncing the note, but I just went back, only to discover the app doing a fresh reboot, and now I have six copies of that same note—along with the conflict message at the top. 

But at least the note stays open! 

ADDENDUM: 13 hrs later and I now have 12 copies of that same note! 😱

420A0A3F-B061-4E3A-85A0-17D69C416F29.jpeg

Edited by Amystoneus
Info update

Yep, sync conflicts all over the place with this new IOS version. Can't use mobile at all now. I've installed fresh on every device, still the same. Also, left ipad open overnight to download offline notebooks and a tiny fraction of notes were downloaded. Connection is fast here. What is going on?

22 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

@bounce Probably this is not related to EN. iOS since ver 13 does cut background activity after a few minutes, to save system resources and improve battery lifetime. Downloads will only continue if you keep the app active - any app.

Heya, I was referring to Amystoneus's comment about sync conflicts on ios 14. I develop some ios stuff so very familiar with RAM management in ios 13. Evernote *is* is retaining it's note position longer in ios 14.  I can't use it on ios 14 because I get exponential note copies due to sync conflicts - on three different devices. Close all devices except one and still get sync conflicts simply tapping edit on a note. That's off topic to this thread though.

2 hours ago, bounce said:

Heya, I was referring to Amystoneus's comment about sync conflicts on ios 14. I develop some ios stuff so very familiar with RAM management in ios 13. Evernote *is* is retaining it's note position longer in ios 14.  I can't use it on ios 14 because I get exponential note copies due to sync conflicts - on three different devices. Close all devices except one and still get sync conflicts simply tapping edit on a note. That's off topic to this thread though.

For a minute it was really nice feeling like Evernote and I were finally playing well together, thanks to my note actually staying active while I replied to an email. Then I discovered my note was haplessly reproducing behind my back! The sole reason I’m using this app is to maintain fluidity and consistency across my pad, phone and laptop! By the end of yesterday I had 12 copies of my note, each with one less word or character than the successive version. WTF! But since the note is staying open, I’ve now moved over to the conflicting note/multiple copy issue, which is now the new outlet for my Evernote contempt. Does anyone test this software before rolling it out? 

Sounds about right.I was enjoying the note retaining position longer too until I noticed a sync conflict was created with only one ios device open to Evernote. That note duplicated near 30 times and clicking delete on it did nothing. @Amystoneus are you also downloading offline notebooks to your ipad or phone? I'm on a blazing fast connection and left ipad open to Evernote all night and the downloads have only moved a millimeter on the screen. I'm guessing servers are slammed on their end, this could be part of the issue.

• 3 months later...

Same problem using the EN app on a MacBook. If you switch back and forth between EN and another app - say Chrome -  when you go back to EN it opens your full list of notes, not the actual note that you've been working on. Even though that note is still open as a separate window. It may highlight the note in the list and show it on the side panel, but it brings you back to the top of the note. 

Real PITA and productivity issue. 

I thought EN was meant to take notes, it actually makes it harder. 

Yes that is a very nasty and annoying behavior of the new iOS version.

Flow of work between more than one, non multitasking apps while note taking and constructing  is permanently disrupted, forcing to use other solutions for better workflow. This probably will not even be a good argument to gain new paying  (power) users, not to talk about acceptance with existing users.

• 10 months later...
  • Level 5

Funny how different user experience can be: When I leave the app with a note open, go to another app, even open yet another, and later come back to EN, it opens on exactly the same note where I had left it.

Just don’t close the EN app before switching over.

Or maybe you just said „Echo, echo“ instead of trying it first ?