New version - adding tags

OpalGill

Just been trying to use the 'new look' Evernote on a PC and I cannot find how to move a note to a particular Notebook or add a Tag to a note.  Worked fine when I switched back to the original version.  I feel really stupid as i must be missing something obvious!  Any help appreciated.  Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5*
On 10/15/2018 at 9:55 AM, OpalGill said:

Just been trying to use the 'new look' Evernote on a PC and I cannot find how to move a note to a particular Notebook or add a Tag to a note.  Worked fine when I switched back to the original version.  I feel really stupid as i must be missing something obvious!  Any help appreciated.  Thanks

There are a number of ways to move a note to a notebook in the Evernote for Windows version:

• If the note is visible in your note list, and the notebook is visible in the left panel, you can just drag the note to the notebook.
  • if you're viewing the note, then you should see its notebook in the note header, on the left size. Click on it, and a list of available notebooks should appear. Click one. The Alt+Shift+B shortcut does the same thing.
  • In the note header, you may see the note info tool, on the right side; it's a lowercase i in a circle. Click on it, and you should see a notebook dropdown that lets you select a new notebook.

For tags, it's similar:

• You can drag a tag from the tag list in the left panel onto your note.
  • Conversely, you can drag a note onto a tag in the from the tag list in the left panel
  • In the note header, you should see a prompt to "Add tag...". Click on it, and you can start typing, and tags will appear that match what you've typed so far. Click on one of them.
  • The Ctrl+Alt+T shortcut key allows you to assign tags to multiple notes, however many you have selected in your note list. This will bring up a dialog that lets you assign tags to the selected notes.
  • There are probably other ways, but this should do it for now.  If you can't use any of these methods, it would be good to know what happened...

Okay so- see comments in orange - switching back to old view again!

• If the note is visible in your note list, and the notebook is visible in the left panel, you can just drag the note to the notebook. Doesn't work tried taking a screen shot but didn't capture it but as you drag item across the circle with a diagonal line through it appears
  • if you're viewing the note, then you should see its notebook in the note header, on the left size. Click on it, and a list of available notebooks should appear. Click one. The Alt+Shift+B shortcut does the same thing. Doesn't work - neither does short cut
  • In the note header, you may see the note info tool, on the right side; it's a lowercase i in a circle. Click on it, and you should see a notebook dropdown that lets you select a new notebook.  Does work

For tags, it's similar:

• You can drag a tag from the tag list in the left panel onto your note. Can't see tag list - if i click on Tags at left hand side it shows me my tags but i can no longer see the note
  • Conversely, you can drag a note onto a tag in the from the tag list in the left panel as above
  • In the note header, you should see a prompt to "Add tag...". Click on it, and you can start typing, and tags will appear that match what you've typed so far. Click on one of them. below note - this works - but i like to see my used tags so i don't forget what i have used before
  • The Ctrl+Alt+T shortcut key allows you to assign tags to multiple notes, however many you have selected in your note list. This will bring up a dialog that lets you assign tags to the selected notes. shortcut doesn't work
  • There are probably other ways, but this should do it for now.  If you can't use any of these methods, it would be good to know what happened...
  • Level 5*
4 hours ago, OpalGill said:

You can drag a tag from the tag list in the left panel onto your note. Can't see tag list - if i click on Tags at left hand side it shows me my tags but i can no longer see the note

Clicking on the Tags header opens the Tag view, which replaces your note list and current note display with a multi-colum list of tags. You need to open that Tags list by hovering over the Tags header, waiting a second for the little triangle icon to appear at the left of the Tags header, and clicking on that. This will open up the  tag tree in the left panel.

The Ctrl+Alt+T shortcut key allows you to assign tags to multiple notes, however many you have selected in your note list. This will bring up a dialog that lets you assign tags to the selected notes. shortcut doesn't work

Unless it's been overridden somehow by some other shortcut/hotkey, this should work. It's been in Evernote for Windows for a fair number of years, invoking substantially the same dialog.This is the same as Note / Tag... in the Evernote menu.

In the note header, you should see a prompt to "Add tag...". Click on it, and you can start typing, and tags will appear that match what you've typed so far. Click on one of them. below note - this works - but i like to see my used tags so i don't forget what i have used before

Not sure what you mean here: tags that are used in the note should appear already, to the left of what you clicked on ("Add tag..."). Existing tags  that match what you've typed will be suggested as you type. What other 'used tags' are there?

If the note is visible in your note list, and the notebook is visible in the left panel, you can just drag the note to the notebook. Doesn't work tried taking a screen shot but didn't capture it but as you drag item across the circle with a diagonal line through it appears

That means that there's some reason you cannot move that note to that notebook. But this doesn't jibe with the following:

In the note header, you may see the note info tool, on the right side; it's a lowercase i in a circle. Click on it, and you should see a notebook dropdown that lets you select a new notebook.  Does work

If this works, then the other methods of moving to a different notebook should also work. If not, then it may be a bug in Evernote.

Thank you for your further help

Clicking on the Tags header opens the Tag view, which replaces your note list and current note display with a multi-colum list of tags. You need to open that Tags list by hovering over the Tags header, waiting a second for the little triangle icon to appear at the left of the Tags header, and clicking on that. This will open up the  tag tree in the left panel.  Tried a lot of hovering but no triangles appear

Short cuts are not working but i don't normally use shortcuts anyway so that's not a problem if i can do this another way.

Re the tags - what I meant is I find if I can't see previous tags at left hand side then i am likely to create extra ones e.g 'red wine' instead of 'wine, red' for example...it is Friday afternoon and nearly 'home time' !

I think definitely a bug for your last point - can you tell me how to report it or do the bug fixers look at these boards?

Have a good weekend

• Level 5*
49 minutes ago, OpalGill said:

Clicking on the Tags header opens the Tag view, which replaces your note list and current note display with a multi-colum list of tags. You need to open that Tags list by hovering over the Tags header, waiting a second for the little triangle icon to appear at the left of the Tags header, and clicking on that. This will open up the  tag tree in the left panel.  Tried a lot of hovering but no triangles appear

So nothing that looks like this?

image.png.828aec200f1a46ce838a4e02f6b8208b.png

What version of Evernote are you using?

50 minutes ago, OpalGill said:

Re the tags - what I meant is I find if I can't see previous tags at left hand side then i am likely to create extra ones e.g 'red wine' instead of 'wine, red' for example...

If you have a significant number of tags already, say 40 or more, it's likely you won't be able to see them all in the left panel's tag list anyways; that approach doesn't tend to scale well.

Side note: I'd never create tags like "red wine" or "wine, red" myself.  Something like that always suggests  use of separate tags, for example "wine" and "red". Then you can add "white" and rose" later on, and you can classify wines easily (searches like, e.g.: tag:wine --> all wines, tag:wine tag:red --> all red wines, tag:wine -tag:white --> all wines that are not white, etc.), and reuse "red", "white", etc. to describe other items that have colors. Of course, how you want to tag is your business.

2 hours ago, OpalGill said:

I think definitely a bug for your last point - can you tell me how to report it or do the bug fixers look at these boards?

Well, this will most likely be read by an Evernote staffer, but if you really want to pursue it: you can start here: Best practices: submitting a support ticket 

• Level 5
On 10/15/2018 at 9:55 AM, OpalGill said:

11 hours ago, OpalGill said:

Okay so- see comments in orange - switching back to old view again!

For tags, it's similar:

• You can drag a tag from the tag list in the left panel onto your note. Can't see tag list - if i click on Tags at left hand side it shows me my tags but i can no longer see the note

Looking at these, I also wonder, as @jefito did, which version of Evernote you're using. Are you using the standalone Windows program? Or are you using the Web interface in a browser on a Windows computer? What you describe sounds to me more like the Web browser version, which I think has had a makeover recently. This forum is for the standalone Windows program, and that may be causing some confusion. There is a Web version help forum here: https://discussion.evernote.com/forum/235-web-client/.

Ah....that would explain it @Dave-in-Decatur..I am using  the new Evernote Web Beta on a Windows PC...I only ever use it web based so never occurred to me that there would be a different board. Sorry to have bothered you....they obviously need to do some more work on it though so i get my missing triangle back! . PS @jefito  I don't actually use my wine tags as i said in my post...was just searching for an example ...another one would be forgetting whether I used the tag  'books'  or 'reading'. You now know the interests of my life as a librarian....cataloguing, books and wine! ?

Archived