MrEvernoteMcGee

Apple Pencil and Note Taking With Evernote

A couple of years ago, I owned an iPad (it was old back then, barely works now) and I used the Notability app to take notes for my evening classes at school. It worked quite well in terms of marking-up PDF's with a highlighter, but my rubber tipped stylus wasn't the best for writing.

Fast forward to 2018, and I'm looking at purchasing a new iPad and an Apple pencil to take notes at work. I have no doubt Notability is up to the task, but there are a couple of concerns. First and foremost, we're a large company and everything here is Windows/Microsoft. I would need a way to sync my notes to Evernote periodically (maybe after each meeting/maybe at the end of each day) so they are available to me on more than just a single device. Plus, Evernote is where I house everything so I'd like everything to end up there. I understand this is possible with the share sheet in iOS or potentially even an IFTTT recipe. I just wonder if it'll be too much fumbling around getting pdfs into Notability, then writing on them (and around them) and then over to Evernote.

Now, because we are in a Microsoft environment, we do already use OneNote quite a bit. This could also work but I have concerns here also. Firstly, I've read online there are no horizontal boundaries in OneNote, so you're notes can potentially end up being crazy wide and all over the place. I do recall this happening to me even with typed notes. There have been occasions where I find the note I'm looking for, but it's blank. It took me a few mins to realize I needed to scroll sideways about 5 feet to see my content. I also don't like the way OneNote handles PDF notations. I can highlight and take notes on the PDF file, but the moment I move the file around the page all my annotations stay in the same spot -- they aren't "attached" to the PDF. This to me, is entirely useless.

I guess what I'm getting at is, I want to get to a point where I just take my iPad and Apple pencil to a meeting, and everything is available to me later in the cloud; preferably not using Notability as the repository because I need to see those notes on Windows too. Evernote would be my preferred 'home base' for everything. Is Evernote going to be at a point soon where I can write notes directly in the app and mark-up PDF's as well, or do I need to find another solution.

I'm just wondering who out there has been through this and what advice you'd offer.

12 hours ago, MrEvernoteMcGee said:

I have no doubt Notability is up to the task, but there are a couple of concerns. First and foremost, we're a large company and everything here is Windows/Microsoft. I would need a way to sync my notes to Evernote periodically (maybe after each meeting/maybe at the end of each day) so they are available to me on more than just a single device. Plus, Evernote is where I house everything so I'd like everything to end up there. I understand this is possible with the share sheet in iOS or potentially even an IFTTT recipe. I just wonder if it'll be too much fumbling around getting pdfs into Notability, then writing on them (and around them) and then over to Evernote.

I'm a Notability user on an iPad Pro and Mac.  The Apple Pencil is a great improvement.
Notability is my go-to editor for note taking; the latest version supports handwriting transcription.

My process is to imediately send the document to Evernote using the share sheet menu.
I save to Evernote in pdf format.  The original remains in Notability.

I also use the share sheet menu to transfer PDFs into Notability for markup.

>>Is Evernote going to be at a point soon where I can write notes directly in the app and mark-up PDF's as well, or do I need to find another solution.

imho  You're limiting yourself if you intend to use Evernote as your one-and-only editor.
It's fine for basic notes, but will never offer all the features of a dedicated editor.

This applies to note taking, word processing, spreadsheets, ...
I avoid depending on an all-in-one solution; and depending on the free editor that came with my filing cabinet.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, DTLow said:

imho  You're limiting yourself if you intend to use Evernote as your one-and-only editor.
It's fine for basic notes, but will never offer all the features of a dedicated editor.

This applies to note taking, word processing, spreadsheets, ...
I avoid an all-in-one solution; and the free editor that came with my filing cabinet.

I agree with @DTLow . I follow a very similar workflow, although I use GoodNotes. Any handwritten notes I take in GoodNotes are stored indefinitely in Evernote.

I use a Shortcuts workflow that I invoke from the iOS sharesheet to use to append meeting information from the original meeting request along with the GoodNotes notes. The GoodNotes notes are fully searchable in Evernote. Works very well. Though, the Shortcuts step isn't necessary. Just as easy to go direct from GoodNotes to Evernote.

My system is designed around Evernote being my "everything box". Long term storage is EN, but I can have a variety of note inputs -- many typed directly in Evernote, GoodNotes (as above), notes written in the Drafts app, documents scanned in, etc. I seek frictionless input with quick future access/searchability!

• Haha 1

Evernote has the ability to enhance sketch into a writing Apple Pencil solution and add templates to enhance the writing feature. The annotation along is in need of a serious upgrade with Apple Pencil. 

However, whomever is leading the product roll out of feature updates is really out of touch with the current needs of its users. Evernote is starting to show its slow relative response to mustbhave features instead they change fonts and templates? That’s a clear sign that the priorities are askew. It’s time to address what users want this was needed before they tanked penultimate support via no updates for years and seemingly not adding more value to the product. FYI a new device adds new feature a new service must also and Evernote is missing the mark being late to the party creating pretty fonts avoiding what’s its paid audience wants.

People are getting annoyed. 

There are various feature requests  for enhansing the sketch feature, and Apple Pencil integration.

Your're welcome to indicate your support using the voting buttons.

Sample

We have been asking for this for years good sir. We have yet to even get a darn cross out / deleted action for checked off completed task bullets via to do lists.

its just maddening that features like this are on notion but not Evernote. What is EN waiting for?

Again, there's a forum to post feature requests.

We are working on technical issues in this forum.

Hi. I think you’ll find GoodNotes or some other dedicated app is simply better, and it is exceedingly unlikely that Evernote will somehow leapfrog them to become a superior one. This is true of any app (apple notes, for example, is also inferior), because, especially in iOS, apps that specialize tend to be more useful than ones that try to do everything for everyone.

Is Evernote the problem? Maybe. Penultimate was never a good fit for my workflow (PDF annotations and notetaking in multiple languages, including vertical, left to right ones). But, it did work well for some folks. So, when Evernote bought it, I guess there was some potential there for something. Similar to Skitch, though, it seems to be a tough thing to turn it into aan industry leader without losing focus. Eventually, Evernote sloughed off most of its app ecosystem, and here we are today—I doubt Evernote is likely to go back to intensive development of multiple apps, which is the only realistic way they could compete with other dedicated apps.

At any rate, GoodNotes with backups in PDF to Dropbox makes everything available to any device (even Windows), the content is OCRd, and it is easy to get into Evernote.

7 hours ago, GrumpyMonkey said:

Hi. I think you’ll find GoodNotes or some other dedicated app is simply better, and it is exceedingly unlikely that Evernote will somehow leapfrog them to become a superior one. This is true of any app (apple notes, for example, is also inferior), because, especially in iOS, apps that specialize tend to be more useful than ones that try to do everything for everyone.

Is Evernote the problem? Maybe. Penultimate was never a good fit for my workflow (PDF annotations and notetaking in multiple languages, including vertical, left to right ones). But, it did work well for some folks. So, when Evernote bought it, I guess there was some potential there for something. Similar to Skitch, though, it seems to be a tough thing to turn it into aan industry leader without losing focus. Eventually, Evernote sloughed off most of its app ecosystem, and here we are today—I doubt Evernote is likely to go back to intensive development of multiple apps, which is the only realistic way they could compete with other dedicated apps.

At any rate, GoodNotes with backups in PDF to Dropbox makes everything available to any device (even Windows), the content is OCRd, and it is easy to get into Evernote.

I currently utilize Notability, however i could easily not use it anymore if the EN writing feature was literally 1.1% better then it was now at basic writing and infinite page masking in a note book. The bar is very low to just be able to stay into Evernote instead of multiple apps to send back into EN.