Inline PDF sizing does not sync properly

In many of my notes, I include inline images that are critical for the context of the note. Sometimes the images are in PDF format. Evernote usually imports them in a humongous "fit-to-size" mode, which I shrink down to make the note readable by right-clicking and zooming out.

The problem is that the resizing of inline PDFs does not sync across my devices. I am currently accessing a note created on my work computer (Mac) from my home computer (also Mac), and it is completely unreadable because every PDF image has blown itself up to take up the entire screen. This means I can't work from a different device, because I can't read my notes.

As a side note, this also happened once when I upgraded to a new version of Evernote, and I lost an entire day of work just trying to make my notes readable again.

Sure. I'm using Evernote for a lab notebook, where I have to insert a lot of pictures (as you point out, they're better than words). I prefer to save and insert them as PDFs so I can annotate reversibly using Preview. (If I annotate jpgs or pngs, the annotations become a permanent part of the image)

This is what a sample section should look like:
1359088169_Untitled2.png.58fa890eee94eaa732bdf01b11ea5c66.png

The pictures are interspersed with paragraphs, providing context for each sentence. But when I open this same file on my home computer, it looks like this:

Untitled.png.e37a50bc296b381655a0c1470e6fc39b.png

The pictures have blown up to fill the entire screen, so I can't see an entire thought or even skip back a single sentence without scrolling. Generally when Evernote imports a PDF image, it looks like the second screenshot above, so I right click and zoom out on the PDF until the image size is more manageable, as in the first screenshot above. Unfortunately, this size adjustment does not carry across devices.

22 hours ago, car2nwallaby said:

If I annotate jpgs or pngs, the annotations become a permanent part of the image

I can annotate images just fine and afterwards I can clean the annotation again.

Before:

image.thumb.png.adc18bcda3f506770c0d4d367250eed5.png

do annotation:

image.thumb.png.b4255ddfc8722a7d92bc1b0cf2cc9d5f.png

after annotation:

image.thumb.png.3d3c30c958ce6384af960e7a5003a7ff.png

Now let's try to undo the annotation.

context menu --> annotate this image --> clear annotations

image.png.4f3bbc3f50effe90e3f548e42ba7ea81.png

and afterwards it looks like that:

image.thumb.png.c33cea8fb3d100051a70257875a88209.png

That is what you need, right?

PDFs do not resize properly between machines. True. In fact it cannot even be done on WinMachine, guess it is not a real feature.

Archived