Evernote for Windows 6.16 beta 1

Iriska

• Ex Employees

Today we released Windows 6.16 beta 1. It's available here

What’s in 6.16 beta 1?

Fixed:

- Upgrade button should not show up for 'Plus' subscription users or reappear in toolbar after it's removed and app is relaunched.

- Client crashes unexpectedly when dragging notes to notebooks

- Unable to rename personal hidden tag from the note toolbar

- Intermittent issue where the cursor jumps to the beginning of note when typing in a new note

- Template creation fails if an apostrophe is in the note title

- Table fits to page even if content doesn't take up full width

- "YouTube" clip option cuts off video thumbnail image on Windows

- Attachment updating is not reflected on single shared note via workchat

- If your sidebar is in light mode, hovering over a notebook causes the note count to be invisible. It is the same font color as the hover color

- New notes don't sync up to the service immediately after being created

- Unable to drag and drop email content from Microsoft Outlook to note content in Evernote

- Some PDF files are lost when attached

- Accented and other international characters are not displayed properly in Note title

- Please note that emoji in the note title will appear as squares. Emoji in the note body will render properly

Updated:

- We've updated the Note List header to align with our new branding and for consistency across platforms

• Level 5*

The keyboard shortcuts for the "select notebook" and "filter by tag" in the new Note List header doesn't work.

I checked and the following bugs still exist as well:

- Copy+pasting text from a Word document only preserves rich text formatting sometimes and sometimes only for a part of the copied text.

- Double tapping on a word on a touch screen is recognized as a right click instead of select, where the right click menu blocks the selection arrow behind it. (very annoying as a tap to remove the right click menu could de-select the word..)

- Assign tags window (Ctrl+Alt+T) does no longer display the full tag names, as they are cut off if longer

- The scroll bar in the side/top list still doesn't work.

- The new Notebooks view is still way to slow to be of any use.

1 hour ago, gustavgi said:

The keyboard shortcuts for the "select notebook" and "filter by tag" in the new Note List header doesn't work.

We discovered this too late to make this beta. The fix will be in the next one.

Could you create a real page on evernote.com with the releases list + detailled changelog,  please please please? Something simple.. well structured, well formated and consistent for each release. 

The issue with the "Screenshot" button, CTRL key, and CTRL + V creating Merging notes dialog box, before displaying pasted context, have been fixed. Thank you, Evernote.

Just for reference, the issue was  described in the following post:

P.S. Pulled the trigger too soon. Unfortunately, the problem is still present. 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, ej8899 said:

I saw that the color fix for invisible note counts on white left panel was fixed.. and got my hopes up that this fix would also fix the invisible tags.... but no such luck.  

Make your tags bold with the default color.. and they'll go "invisible". 

Reported March 21 2018.  https://www.evernote.com/l/AJDRYO7yD5pNGqe8lTVHvR9A-JyKoYf4NZA/

Do newly bolded tags go invisible as well? I had this problem several months ago as well, but it seems to work now.. In that case, I think you will have to manually re-bold your tags as those are "corrupt", and that will not be solved by a bug fix.

34 minutes ago, gustavgi said:

Do newly bolded tags go invisible as well? I had this problem several months ago as well, but it seems to work now.. In that case, I think you will have to manually re-bold your tags as those are "corrupt", and that will not be solved by a bug fix.

Yes - newly created tags still go bold - I do have to sync with another Windows PC to get them to go "invisible" (white on white)... and it only replicates on "default color" (when bold) - if I force tags to specific colors everything works fine.  

• Level 5*
13 hours ago, ej8899 said:

Yes - newly created tags still go bold - I do have to sync with another Windows PC to get them to go "invisible" (white on white)... and it only replicates on "default color" (when bold) - if I force tags to specific colors everything works fine.  

So, it's a syncing issue? Hopefully that is new useful information for this bug.

So, it's a syncing issue? Hopefully that is new useful information for this bug.

It's definitely "triggered" with syncing between computers...  I indicated that on my first report 6 months ago - I should probably keep pointing that out each time I note the bug is still existing.

minor quirk... styled notebooks don't update in the shortcuts list.  Seems limited to notebooks in a stack and in the shortcuts list.  I was changing the notebook styles within the stack on the shortcut.  This process behaves as expected on other notebooks in the shortcut list.

Image captured after applying color and bold to each of those "inbox 0x" notebooks -- style popup shows the set style on 02.

A shutdown of Evernote (& subsequent restart) has the styles applied as expected. 

ScreenClip.png.eb6d184a9e0c67cf385d16dc748a35ed.png

On 10/6/2018 at 7:59 AM, gustavgi said:

This was the critical information (I kept trying to repro on my local machine). Ah the perils of using a special value as a default value... (for you programmers out there, "(COLORREF)-1". And the color synced is json: "color='#ffffff'". I think you can see where I'm going with that...)

It will be fixed in the next Beta.

After I installed the beta, I was immediately struck by the size of the "Search Bar" - it's taking up a LOT MORE real estate than it used to - I'm pretty sure. 

I don't see the "value add" to breaking out all the functions on the right - I prefer it bar not taking up as much real estate and the more compact "all functions on one menu/button" functionality.  Any chance for a fix/redesign?  

Thanks as always.

Evernote 6.1 Beta Search Bar Real Estate.png

Question: if we must have New Note and All Notes at the top of the Left Panel, why is New Notes pinned, but All Notes is not, when scrolling down on the Left Panel?  

On the iOS and Android versions at least, All Notes is pinned.

Since I need to undo tags/saved searches often, I returned to using the all notes button on the tool bar. 

Not a huge pain, just strange design decisions.

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, Don Dz said:

Since I need to undo tags/saved searches often, I returned to using the all notes button on the tool bar. 

F6 should take you to all notes (i.e., an empty search)

Minor gripe.. but I still think there needs to be a better error handling system when there is a connectivity issue.
On this particular system - I may or may not have internet depending on my status - VPN or no VPN and even wifi or not (running in a mobile environment).  I see this popup a lot and it slows down work flow having to click 'ok' -- sometimes repeatedly.  

Yes, I'm set to purge rarely used content - so it does need to fetch on occasion such as pictured here where I briefly forgot how to search for encrypted notes. ScreenClip.thumb.png.f9646878f3ff4f1d193da8a9cbe92f8e.png

• Level 5*
12 hours ago, JeffreyC said:

After I installed the beta, I was immediately struck by the size of the "Search Bar" - it's taking up a LOT MORE real estate than it used to - I'm pretty sure. 

I don't see the "value add" to breaking out all the functions on the right - I prefer it bar not taking up as much real estate and the more compact "all functions on one menu/button" functionality.  Any chance for a fix/redesign?  

Thanks as always.

Any chance of a screen shot with search results showing?  That looks quite a bit different than today, and a chunk of vertical real estate lost.

ScreenClip.thumb.png.a7f016bd586d1382c18c68b8edb98a58.png

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, dconnet said:

Sorry, no. That's the new design to make the Windows client conform to how our other clients look.

Like the new web version?  Argh and yuck.  I know it's not you, just one down vote from the wilderness.  Why can't form and function cohabitate?  (rhetorical question)

ScreenClip.thumb.png.ce8bb5b4081e30d6790c37560ace205d.png

• Level 5*
57 minutes ago, CalS said:

Any chance of a screen shot with search results showing?  That looks quite a bit different than today, and a chunk of vertical real estate lost.

ScreenClip.thumb.png.a7f016bd586d1382c18c68b8edb98a58.png

But only for top list view; the others split horizontally, so no (or little) screen space is lost there. Hopefully those views remain rather than being subsumed by some One True UI push...

• Level 5*
34 minutes ago, jefito said:

But only for top list view; the others split horizontally, so no (or little) screen space is lost there. Hopefully those views remain rather than being subsumed by some One True UI push...

The example above from newest web is snippet view and the search bar extends across the screen, with the search term in some largea$$ font.  Agreed on the subsumption, put the above on IOS and there won't be any screen left.  :unsure:

Did you ever see the movie King of Hearts?

15 hours ago, JeffreyC said:

Evernote 6.1 Beta Search Bar Real Estate.png

Any chance you could share that picture again with some more data showing, or at least headers not blurred?  Some innocuous tag search should do it.

My screen looks nothing like that except in Top List view or hiding the Note Panel, and the above doesn't seem to be that. 

I am not quite certain dconnet really noticed that picture with that search bar is not normal, because of the way the other columns look.

32 minutes ago, Don Dz said:

Any chance you could share that picture again with some more data showing, or at least headers not blurred?  Some innocuous tag search should do it.

My screen looks nothing like that except in Top List view or hiding the Note Panel, and the above doesn't seem to be that. 

I am not quite certain dconnet really noticed that picture with that search bar is not normal, because of the way the other columns look.

You bet.  In this screenshot, I simply did a CTRL+Q, entered "Evernote" and selected my "Evernote Notes" notebook.  No "search" active.  

Graphic_10_9_2018 11_42_46 AM.jpg

1 hour ago, JeffreyC said:

You bet.  In this screenshot, I simply did a CTRL+Q, entered "Evernote" and selected my "Evernote Notes" notebook.  No "search" active.  

Graphic_10_9_2018 11_42_46 AM.jpg

Thanks for sharing.  I was able to reproduce that look only with card view while hiding the note panel.  If that is what you are doing, I am relieved, we are not being invaded by head snatching aliens. ?

I don't remember whether it always looked like that, but since I never hide the Note Panel, I am personally ok with that view, as long as it doesn't appear everywhere . . . :blink:

• Level 5*
22 minutes ago, Don Dz said:

I don't remember whether it always looked like that, but since I never hide the Note Panel, I am personally ok with that view, as long as it doesn't appear everywhere .

Ditto. though the newest web client gives pause if there is s forced same look move afoot.

3 hours ago, Don Dz said:

No, I recognized that. It just looks weird because the note view is off, so the notelist is really wide.

• Level 5*

So I pulled out my backup laptop and put 6.16 beta on it.  Below are screen shots from 6.15 and 6.16 beta, wide monitor for 6.15 and laptop screen for 6.16, so not in perspective. 

1. It would appear the search information area is taller in 6.16 beta. 
  2. Also, to my way of thinking anyway, the search description is jumbled in 6.16.  You can just read it in 6.15, x notes in y context with z search parameters.  In 6.16 you have to visually bounce around to determine what's up. 
  3. The breakout of sort from the view drop down.

So a little harder to understand and one or two less lines in side list view.  Not sure I get what is better about this layout.  Some guidance would be appreciated.

ScreenClip.thumb.png.58ce3c12745a8998d2f18ca87d263042.png

ScreenClip.png.00808b9ff400fcc836be15ae251067b4.png

44 minutes ago, CalS said:

Not sure I get what is better about this layout.

It does resemble the iOS layout somewhat (Android not so much).

While icons from mobile are being added, a reminder's view icon pinned at the top of the notes list might be nice, if it behaves like in iOS, though the Android behavior shows more options.

How about a todo view icon? Could be in the three dot menu with Export Notes.

Ok, I'll stop now . . .

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, CalS said:

So a little harder to understand and one or two less lines in side list view.  Not sure I get what is better about this layout.  Some guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks for the helpful screen shots, btw. Anyways, pending information from  Evernote folks, my theory is:

1. They wanted to consolidate the existing icons in the panel (notebook view, tags) and add a new one (sort order), plus the '...' menu where they can hang more commands off (and maybe add more tool icons?).
  2. They moved the note count to a separate line, and added the new tool cluster to it to save some space; they don't particularly go together, but they shouldn't really conflict space-wise, unless your note list is quite narrow. The note count is smaller, which is fine by me, since I rarely care about note count.
  3. They also moved the context to its own line at the top; and made it stand out by using a taller font, perhaps thinking that context is paramount. There's also more space for it if your notebook/stack context has a long name. I don't mind it being on its own line, particularly since I only very rarely use top list, and never disable the note panel, so not that much wasted space.. Can't remember whether the context went away if you turned off search information in prior release (I never did it!), but it definitely doesn't now.
  4. With the above, the reduced search info (no more context or  note count) has more room available now. The search information is really important,  in my opinion. A real help when a search doesn't turn up what I expect.

In my opinion, they would do better by moving the note count + mini toolbar down to the bottom of the search panel, as it currently splits up the note context and search box + search explanation. The note count is the result of the search, so (given a Euro-centric left-to-right, top-to bottom worldview) it should be underneath the search specifiers. In addition, the mini toolbar just seems weird floating in the middle of the panel. I think that that would give things a little better flow.

Repeat after me: I am not a UI designer. I am not a UI designer...

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, jefito said:

Repeat after me: I am not a UI designer. I am not a UI designer...

Repeat after me. I am a UI user, I am a UI user.  ?

If these changes stick it will be another in a string of EN UI enhancements that make it less productive for me.  

I mean, what are the pluses to this design?  The icons?  Maybe more obvious than the view drop down I suppose.  The search description and context?  Egads, can’t create a reason those are better, they’re not even prettier. 

Sounding more snarky than I like, but just trying to provide some clear feedback.  

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, CalS said:

I mean, what are the pluses to this design?  The icons?  Maybe more obvious than the view drop down I suppose.  The search description and context?  Egads, can’t create a reason those are better, they’re not even prettier. 

Hey, I was just guessing at the motivations behind the changes (from my software-developer-not-a-UI--designer viewpoint). If and until Evernote folks come forth and explain themselves to us, you're free to do same. I do think that they wanted to get context up top, and prominent; at a guess, current context is the cause of some confusion for users in general, possibly backed by their support request history, Most of it's a don't-care for my usage, but I think it can be improved (which I noted). So long as the search information is all there, as a UI user, I'm pretty much ok with it -- I can't see it making a dent in my productivity. Others may disagree, of course...

• Level 5*
51 minutes ago, jefito said:

Hey, I was just guessing at the motivations behind the changes (from my software-developer-not-a-UI--designer viewpoint). If and until Evernote folks come forth and explain themselves to us, you're free to do same. I do think that they wanted to get context up top, and prominent; at a guess, current context is the cause of some confusion for users in general, possibly backed by their support request history, Most of it's a don't-care for my usage, but I think it can be improved (which I noted). So long as the search information is all there, as a UI user, I'm pretty much ok with it -- I can't see it making a dent in my productivity. Others may disagree, of course...

Yeah, I get it.  Not the first time a UI change has generated some head scratching followed by "... why are we painting a room when one of the walls has fallen down?.." conversations. 

Insert Gloria Gaynor quote here, but I still don't get some of the design thinking from a productivity app.  Should be streamlining and removing clicks and presenting information clearly.  As you say, others may disagree....

18 hours ago, CalS said:

So I pulled out my backup laptop and put 6.16 beta on it.  Below are screen shots from 6.15 and 6.16 beta, wide monitor for 6.15 and laptop screen for 6.16, so not in perspective. 

1. It would appear the search information area is taller in 6.16 beta. 
  2. Also, to my way of thinking anyway, the search description is jumbled in 6.16.  You can just read it in 6.15, x notes in y context with z search parameters.  In 6.16 you have to visually bounce around to determine what's up. 
  3. The breakout of sort from the view drop down.

ScreenClip.thumb.png.58ce3c12745a8998d2f18ca87d263042.png

ScreenClip.png.00808b9ff400fcc836be15ae251067b4.png

That is perfect!  Thanks for providing that @CalS

> That's a great comparison and shows all the extra Real Estate that is being consumed.

> Why that drop down for Notebooks?  Isn't that what the nav on the left is for?

I only skimmed all the above awesome posts (sorry; trying to "multitask" at work), but I think my sentiment is the same - why the UI change - especially to something that is not a value add.

Thanks all and thank you Evernote for all you do. :)

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, JeffreyC said:

Why that drop down for Notebooks?  Isn't that what the nav on the left is for?

Actually, I use the drop down in the search explanation more than the one in the left panel.  Just got used to it I suppose.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, JeffreyC said:

> Why that drop down for Notebooks?  Isn't that what the nav on the left is for?

I use both.  On Macs, a long press on the sidebar notebook/tag icons gives you the notebook/tag hierarchies.288412828_ScreenShot2018-10-10at12_13_25.png.4f8df3439587e793e2b59d8aa7c9ff58.png

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, JeffreyC said:

Why that drop down for Notebooks?  Isn't that what the nav on the left is for?

Context is part of search, so it's nice to have it right there in the search box.

1 hour ago, CalS said:

Actually, I use the drop down in the search explanation more than the one in the left panel.  Just got used to it I suppose.

ITYM the one that used to be in the search explanation. :) I also use that one more than the one in the left panel.

• Level 5*
38 minutes ago, jefito said:

Context is part of search, so it's nice to have it right there in the search box.

ITYM the one that used to be in the search explanation. :) I also use that one more than the one in the left panel.

Not yet, still have 6.15 on the prime laptop.  Hoping sanity returns before 16 becomes official.  

download.jpg.e8a9be8437fa085b9eb6f6f894bd6ceb.jpg

2 hours ago, CalS said:

Curiosity / Cat - where in the old (well, current I guess) UI are you selecting Notebooks?  That "Notebook" drop down wasn't there before - as far as memory serves.  

• Level 5*
15 minutes ago, JeffreyC said:

Curiosity / Cat - where in the old (well, current I guess) UI are you selecting Notebooks?  That "Notebook" drop down wasn't there before - as far as memory serves.  

In searches I would select here.  Most of my searches start out All Notes so I refine using the drop down.

ScreenClip.png.41efd163caeb1ba9561c5e1e7f3768a5.png

While exploring EN hotkeys in Online Help, I noticed some of the Application-wide hotkeys do not work at all while editing a note, like Shift-Alt-N  and Shift-Alt-T, to name a few

Since I don't normally use hotkeys I might be doing something wrong, just following the online help for now.

• Level 5*
58 minutes ago, Don Dz said:

While exploring EN hotkeys in Online Help, I noticed some of the Application-wide hotkeys do not work at all while editing a note, like Shift-Alt-N  and Shift-Alt-T, to name a couple

Those don't appear to be working at all in the current beta...

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Don Dz said:

While exploring EN hotkeys in Online Help, I noticed some of the Application-wide hotkeys do not work at all while editing a note, like Shift-Alt-N  and Shift-Alt-T, to name a few

Since I don't normally use hotkeys I might be doing something wrong, just following the online help for now.

They seem to be working for me in 6.15 Public.  Shift+Alt+N opens the notebook drop down and Shift+Alt+T opens the tag selector, both in the search information window, whether it is open or not when the hotkey is pressed.

Edit:  Clarify in 6.15 Public

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, CalS said:

They seem to be working for me in 6.15 Public.

But not in 6.16.1. Guessing that something broke when they rejiggered the search panel, and it's on the list to be fixed, because hotkey power users...

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, Don Dz said:

Adressed in the first and second post.

• Level 5*

I found an issue with navigating through tables using the keyboard arrows. Not sure if this is changed behavior, or whether it's been reported before:

1. So, start with a multi column table, each column filled in with numbers/text/whatever. With the mouse, locate to the first character in the first column of one of the rows.
  2. Now, using the right keyboard arrow, start moving through the text in that column. When you hit the end, you (and the cursor) are now located in the first colum of the next cell over. So far so good.
  3. So now press the right arrow one time. Rather than being on the next character over, you are now in the next cell. Surprise!
  4. Subsequent right arrows will move cell-by-cell, not character-by-character

Another related issue:

1. Now, repeat the above up through step 2. You are now located at the first character of the second cell.
  2. Press the left arrow. You are now located at the last character in the second cell, not at the end of the first cell. Surprise!

So it looks like the actual character location and cursor location don't match up when you skip to the next cell, leading to surprising behavior.

49 minutes ago, jefito said:

So it looks like the actual character location and cursor location don't match up when you skip to the next cell, leading to surprising behavior.

I have noticed some quirky cursor behavior, but I can navigate through tables normally, cannot reproduce, I wonder if it makes a difference whether the note is new or old, I find sometimes it makes a difference with weird behavior, especially combining tables and bullet lists.

On 10/10/2018 at 2:52 PM, CalS said:

In searches I would select here.  Most of my searches start out All Notes so I refine using the drop down.

ScreenClip.png.41efd163caeb1ba9561c5e1e7f3768a5.png

"I see," said the blind man!

That screen shot now helps me tie together @jefito's and others comment.  Thanks for that, @CalS.

Yeah, lol, I never turn that thing (the Search Explanation) on.  I'm more the "command line parameter" type of guy! :) 

• Level 5*
7 minutes ago, JeffreyC said:

Yeah, lol, I never turn that thing (the Search Explanation) on.  I'm more the "command line parameter" type of guy! :) 

The thing of it is that, you can treat the search edit box as your command line; search explanation is there to tell you how you messed up your command line. Indispensable, in my case. :) 

And as a bonus, you can change some of the parameters there as well as well...

• Level 5*
37 minutes ago, JeffreyC said:

"I see," said the blind man!

That screen shot now helps me tie together @jefito's and others comment.  Thanks for that, @CalS.

You are welcome.  I have to have it on since I'm liable to forget the search in no notes and need the help.  :wacko:

• Level 5*

I find the search explanation useful, but I think it would be really helpful if they added an advanced search dialog where you can easily select any of the available search options including the esoteric reminder ones.  I would wager that most users are unaware of the searches that Evernote is capable of.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, s2sailor said:

I find the search explanation useful, but I think it would be really helpful if they added an advanced search dialog where you can easily select any of the available search options including the esoteric reminder ones.  I would wager that most users are unaware of the searches that Evernote is capable of.

They're not particularly discoverable, are they? Some sort of query builder UI could be helpful, but it would need to be nicely designed, as there are a fair number of available options; those things can get bulky and overloaded pretty easily. A direct link from the search panel to a web page that explains the search options could be helpful, too.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, jefito said:

Some sort of query builder UI could be helpful, but it would need to be nicely designed

Agreed and if done well think how useful it would be and helpful to those especially new to Evernote.

Who can really remember things like "resource:application/pdf" or "reminderTime:day -reminderTime:day+7" ??  Definitely not me.

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, s2sailor said:

Who can really remember things like "resource:application/pdf" or "reminderTime:day -reminderTime:day+7" ??  Definitely not me.

I don't use them very often, so me neither. That's why I keep them in a special note, tagged with "Evernote".

Now there's an idea for an Evernote template note...

• Level 5*
54 minutes ago, jefito said:

I don't use them very often, so me neither. That's why I keep them in a special note, tagged with "Evernote".

Of course, I do the same but shouldn't one of Evernote's most important features be easier to use and be more discoverable?

2 hours ago, jefito said:

Now there's an idea for an Evernote template note...

This is why one of my Evernote 'wishlist' items is that they'd let us have working search links, saved search links, tag links and notebook links inside a note!

2 hours ago, DTLow said:

I include the search parametere in my note contents.  Here's a sample from one of my templates 1548319076_ScreenShot2018-10-13at07_16_33.png.74fbb5606778dd02e2cbcfb836fc5efc.png
I copy/paste into the searchbox1186049224_ScreenShot2018-10-13at07_19_48.png.959475d9ca50348985f75e0045d95d78.png

I do the same... it would just be so much easier to have 'one click' to run those searches from within a note instead of copy & paste... and instead of cluttering up the shortcuts list for multiple 'versions' (ie searches for different projects/etc).

1.  Can't say if this is specific to this version, as I'm just noticing this now....  but tags shared to someone (via shared notebooks) are losing their 'owner' details.  See arrow tag in below screen shot. There are several other examples even in this tag view that I just haven't pointed out.

2. I'm the "ej8899" in this tags list - I have a lot of tags... and even sharing one notebook really can clutter up the recipient's evernote system.   There should really be a way that the recipient of a shared notebook(s) can have this under control.  Suggestion would be a fixed "parent owner" tag that all these default under.

Image.thumb.png.3751b0d91870a80ddf71dc17421a312e.png

On 10/9/2018 at 7:36 AM, dconnet said:

Sorry, no. That's the new design to make the Windows client conform to how our other clients look.

Forgive me for disagreeing, but I do not think that answer is appropriate. I agree that the "search information" bar takes up too much vertical real estate, and although the view tab has a setting to turn it off, it is not functional. The design of the "search information" bar is also inefficient. you don't need it to take up that much space. To be candid, YOU might have some reason that the Windows client needs to conform to your other clients, but that doesn't mean I want it that way, and I'm the paying user. What would be so terrible if we were able to toggle this feature on/off? 

• Level 5*

Spell check bug:

1. Spell a word wrong
  2. right-click and select the wrong thing
  3. Press CTRL-Z to undo your selection

The spell checker (red line) will now not be on and you cannot right-click to select the right thing. Pressing CTRL-Z should trigger the spell checker to note that word is not spelled right.

quite minor.. but I'd call it a bug none-the-less...

Alt-Shift-D doesn't work in the title of a penultimate note.   I'd like to think it should work since I can type whatever I want into the title, but understand the rest of the note to remain locked.

Any chance Evernote is revamping pen input in the main application?  It really isn't all that good on my surface devices which has me "look elsewhere" for options.

ScreenClip.png.f05ff20b9a9b00298f5c56ccf5d5db77.png

BUG:  For some reason, the view in sort options shown after clicking on a notebook stack name, seems to have changed from a view into a search, so that if i try to select "Always View" in sort options, it responds by offering to save it as a search. 

Ok I thought, if it will stick, fine.  But when I return, it asks for this again, and when I tell it to save, it refuses, saying it already exists. 

Clicking on notebook names doesn't have this problem, couldn't both be the same, for consistency and convenience?

• Level 5*
13 minutes ago, Don Dz said:

BUG:  For some reason, clicking on a stack name has been changed from a view into a search, so that if i try to select "Always View" it responds by offering to save it as a search.  Ok I thought, if it will stick, fine.  But when I return, it asks for this again, and when I tell it to save, it refuses, saying it already exists. 

Where are you clicking on a stack name? If I click on one in the left panel, I see all the notes in that stack. Not sure what the difference is between a "view" and a "search" is; are you referring to "View settings" I don't see any "Always view" option anywhere.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Don Dz said:

BUG:  For some reason, clicking on a stack name has been changed from a view into a search, so that if i try to select "Always View" it responds by offering to save it as a search.  Ok I thought, if it will stick, fine.  But when I return, it asks for this again, and when I tell it to save, it refuses, saying it already exists. 

Clicking on notebook names doesn't have this problem, couldn't both be the same, like before, for consistency and convenience?

Wasn't a stack always handled as a search in this way? I have 6.14 on a second machine and it's a search there as well and I think it always has..

You have to save the search and then navigate to the saved search (and not the stack) to be able to save the view for that saved search (the stack).

39 minutes ago, jefito said:

Where are you clicking on a stack name? If I click on one in the left panel, I see all the notes in that stack. Not sure what the difference is between a "view" and a "search" is; are you referring to "View settings" I don't see any "Always view" option anywhere.

It's "Always use" under "Sort options" and "View options". A "view"(is a container: notebook, tag or saved search) can have it's view customized and saved, a search cannot have it's view customized and saved unless the search is first contained in a saved search(a "view").

2 hours ago, jefito said:

I have edited it to try to clarify, I am referring to "Always show" in sort options.

5 minutes ago, gustavgi said:

You have to save the search and then navigate to the saved search (and not the stack) to be able to save the view for that saved search (the stack).

So the problem has always been that way? 

Feature or bug, interesting question, would be nice if it was treated as a bug.

12 minutes ago, gustavgi said:

It's "Always use" under "Sort options" and "View options". A "view"(is a container: notebook, tag or saved search) can have it's view customized and saved, a search cannot have it's view customized and saved unless the search is first contained in a saved search(a "view").

It just seems odd that of all items present in the Left Panel (aside from saved searches), only the stack view is treated as a search and not a view.

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, Don Dz said:

It just seems odd that of all items present in the Left Panel (aside from saved searches), only the stack view is treated as a search and not a view.

Well the "Always use" feature was implemented not that long ago, but the way stacks function has been around since the early days. So my guess would be that it's a limitation of the system.

But since a stack works pretty much as "saved" search in itself (it has its own name and everything), I don't see why it couldn't be treated as a container that could have its saved view.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Don Dz said:

I have edited it to try to clarify, I am referring to "Always show" in sort options.

Thanks for the clarification.

2 hours ago, gustavgi said:

Ditto.

Well the "Always use" feature was implemented not that long ago, but the way stacks function has been around since the early days. So my guess would be that it's a limitation of the system.

But since a stack works pretty much as "saved" search in itself (it has its own name and everything), I don't see why it couldn't be treated as a container that could have its saved view.

My guess here is that stacks, which are just kind of evanescent things in terms of the underlying Evernote API (a stack is just a name in a notebook, and no more) are excluded intentionally. Tags, notebooks and saved searches all have GUIDs, but stacks do not. THat being said, there's nothing about styles in the API either; which makes me thing that styles aren't sync-able either. I could be wrong on all of that, though. We think of stacks as containers, but under the hood, as the woman said, there's no there there...

• Iriska unpinned this topic
37 minutes ago, jefito said:

there's nothing about styles in the API either; which makes me thing that styles aren't sync-able either. I could be wrong on all of that, though

Well, there is a previously mentioned sync bug in connection with styles, bold specifically, that causes invisible tags, so I guess styles do sync.

Whether that has any bearing on the current issue, I leave for the programming types to figure out.

• Level 5*

Well, there is a previously mentioned sync bug in connection with styles, bold specifically, that causes invisible tags, so I guess styles do sync.

In this topic here? I see a problem with styles, but it seems to be local, and not a sync issue. I can actually test this, though, by adding my work account to my home setup; we'll see whether the styles I have set there sync to here. May take a little while to sync over...

Whether that has any bearing on the current issue, I leave for the programming types to figure out.

True enough -- Evernote for Windows may do things locally that are not supported by the API. There's a couple of search behaviors, at least. If styles are  not syncable items, then they've got to be stored locally somewhere, maybe in the database; I haven't seen any obvious candidates in there so far, though.

I'm not saying that styling stacks is impossible, mind. They just have kind of a minimal presence in the underlying data; no real independent existence of their own.

1 minute ago, jefito said:

In this topic here? I see a problem with styles, but it seems to be local, and not a sync issue. I can actually test this, though, by adding my work account to my home setup; we'll see whether the styles I have set there sync to here. May take a little while to sync over...

I've posted on this every release since March...  new version just dropped now though.. and they say it's fixed.  
Downloading now!

27 minutes ago, jefito said:

Search the word invisible on this page, and also for *cough*, should ring a bell . . .

40 minutes ago, ej8899 said:

Ack!  6.16.2  just killed all my color styles  :(

Hmm, I just updated, mine are still all there. 

Maybe it's a reset of some kind.  You should be able to restore them manually, though I see you do have a lot of them. :(

If the colors are still there in the tags and notebooks, you could try removing and restoring the shortcuts, not a lot better I guess.

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, ej8899 said:

Before on the right, after on the left.

All color styles were preserved for me, but I have my shortcuts in the toolbar and there they are b/w either way. I tried moving it to the left panel and the colors are still there.

Did it only affect the styles in your shortcuts or everything? 

On 10/13/2018 at 8:09 PM, RMRuby@gmail.com said:

Forgive me for disagreeing, but I do not think that answer is appropriate. I agree that the "search information" bar takes up too much vertical real estate, and although the view tab has a setting to turn it off, it is not functional. The design of the "search information" bar is also inefficient. you don't need it to take up that much space. To be candid, YOU might have some reason that the Windows client needs to conform to your other clients, but that doesn't mean I want it that way, and I'm the paying user. What would be so terrible if we were able to toggle this feature on/off? 

I jumped on my PC a couple of times today (lately been living more on the iOS client than anything) and, ugh, I DO NOT like that new distraction at the top.

I echo what RMRuby says; please let us turn that thing off.

Thanks as always for listening.

On 10/17/2018 at 8:36 PM, ej8899 said:

Before on the right, after on the left.shortcuts.thumb.png.0fd00ecd5f0f10043e194a95feb16a8c.png

6.16.2 Mine disappeared on two different computers. I reset them and now they are gone again.

12 hours ago, v_ramos said:

Mine disappeared on two different computers. I reset them and now they are gone again.

This will be fixed in the next release. I did a major DUMB. And the code review missed it. (Instead of saving the color on the synced-to machine, I cleared the color if a color was set. After looking at the code, I properly put on the dunce hat and sat in the corner while my reviewers approved the change. (the issue was instead of comparing to the incoming color to update the color, I compared to NO_COLOR :headdesk:))

On the machine that lost the colors, do not modify the attributes there. Once the fix is in place, tweaking a setting on the machine that still has colors will cause those colors to properly sync across.

• Level 5*
29 minutes ago, dconnet said:

This will be fixed in the next release.

The next release being 6.16.3? (this is the 6.16.1 topic, 6.16.2 is out there already). 

Anyways, sympathies for your whoopsie... and for the poor folks who got whoopsed all over.  Time to turn that dunce cap back into a wizard's cap! Oh, and blame it all on QA...

Archived