Templates Locked?

TheDBar

I just downloaded a useful looking meeting template, but once saved to my Evernote I can't edit the note, it only lets me alter the title. Is this the expected behaviour?

Get template, print out, go to meeting and write on it, scan back into EN. Seems more complicated than just type into the note itself.

No, you should be able to type into them. I have mine stored in a separate notebook called Templates, just right-click on the one I want and then hit copy, which makes a new one that I use, leaving the original blank for another time. But I just checked and I can type in the original as well if I want.

I'm using the Windows desktop client, not sure about other platforms

• Level 5*
10 hours ago, catsknit said:

I have mine stored in a separate notebook called Templates, just right-click on the one I want and then hit copy, which makes a new one that I use, leaving the original blank for another time. But I just checked and I can type in the original as well if I want.

Are you referring to the new Templates feature (https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/116292-introducing-templates-for-evernote/), or just normal notes that you keep separately and create new copies using note copy or note duplicate operations? Those are two different things.

@TheDBar I am on Windows 10 and using it in the desktop.  Have you tried that?  When I try it on the web client, first I get the notice that the new version is not supported by my browser (Firefox) and since I don't have Chrome on this laptop (and refuse to install it), it offers to use an older version.  When I do that, I can still type within the template itself, BUT I can no longer right-click and get the option to copy it so I don't mess up the original.  I assume that's b/c it's an older version.

Hmm, just to check again I went to download a few more new templates. I click on Save Template, it says it was saved and offers to open Evernote.  When I click on that, EN opens on the web and there is no new template.  Figured that might be due to using the older web version so I checked my desktop app as well, synced it, still no new templates.  Tried this with 3 different ones, none are saving now, although a few days ago I was able to save several.

new bugs I guess....

It's a weird process.  You may be trying to edit the master vs. you're own note.  When I tried in browser client I ended up opening like 7 tabs, before I remembered how I did it in desktop app.  Initially when you save, it doesn't save to note.  It save's to a 'cloud library'?  You must access your library to get it to note.  So if starting from note never having saved any templates it takes you to website, when you save it, it saves to library which doesn't seem to be directly in your interface.  That library also has refresh button.  You won't see it if you don't refresh right away.  Once your library is refreshed if you make a new note you will see saved templates from your library.  When you choose it goes into note where you can edit.  Optionally you can browse for more.  It's pretty convoluted until you get the sequence.  Wish I could explain better.  Maybe I can do screenshots this evening if not addressed before then.

Whoops looks like you got to the note.  By another client? I don't see the button to launch the process in old web client.  I used the process I described from the new client, but if I switch to old client it's editable.

• 3 months later...

Hello, I ran into this same issue and found how to fix.

Apparently EV now stores the "template" as a new kind of note instead of previously, where you just used a blank note that you like as a template by making a new copy.

Once you download the templates from EV (the ones that show they are locked), you need to view the note and click the three dots in the upper right, then click save as template.

To use the template, start a new blank note and notice that there's now a little button to click called Template. (I'm using desktop version 6.15.4.7934)

1259353471_Newnoteusingtemplate.PNG.52a9ad7909692b4d80d8f9e008548f51.PNG

When you click the Template button, the note you started now has the Template content and it is editable.

This doesn't explain how to make new templates like this, but I do like the approach.

With this new process, I don't have to worry about bashing my templates by forgetting to make a copy before using it.

James 

• 2 months later...

I worked on this for a while, them kinda gave in.  I highlighted the entire contents of the Template, Copied, Pasted into a New Note, Named it to something I was comfortable.  That worked....

Archived