Text displayed in one narrow column (Solved)

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, andthepharaohs said:

Apart from a few lines at the top, my note is shown like this:

I have tried simplifying and removing formatting, but it makes no difference. What's up?! Any helpful suggestions welcomed.

Would that be a Table with  two cells?

• Level 5

To supplement @DTLow's question, did you create the note from scratch, or paste from the clipboard? In the latter case, it seems (just barely) conceivable that some table formatting might have come through from the source. Lots of stuff on Websites is formatted in invisible tables these days.

Hi - I entered this manually a couple of months ago and had taken a copy of it into a Word file for sending to a friend - and that's still as it was, of course. There is no evidence of it being a single-cell table. Hmm...

It's not drastic, as I could copy the Word content back into a note, but I don't like not knowing what's wrong!

• Level 5*

There's actually no mystery.  Behind the text, there's enml/html code. 
I could look at the code and see exactly what the problem is, and possibly fix it.
I'm surprised the simplify/plain-text solutions didn't resolve the issue.

Thanks - I've looked again at the copy I made and there is a single-column table there, but in the note, there are no borders, just the pulsing right vertical bar when the text is selected. The table management help page provides no enlightenment. 

Would I be able to look at the underlying code myself? I've been a techie since I was sorting cards in the late 60s (!), so could probably fix it myself if I could see it. Otherwise, how would you see it? 

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, andthepharaohs said:

Would I be able to look at the underlying code myself? I've been a techie since I was sorting cards in the late 60s (!), so could probably fix it myself if I could see it. Otherwise, how would you see it? 

Export the note to either Evernote format (.enex) or to HTML. Both of those will result in external files that you can then examine in a text editor. .enex is probably better, because if you then are able to fix the issue, you can import that file back into Evernote.

• andthepharaohs changed the title to Text displayed in one narrow column (Solved)
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, andthepharaohs said:

Now exported, hacked and reimported looking like it used to! Ta very muchly.

Glad you you got it worked out.  I often go into the code and do tweaking.
On Macs, we have direct access to the content.enml file; we don't have to do the export/import.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, andthepharaohs said:

Thanks again, Sam

Ha-ha, missed your screen name initially. My band plays Woolly-Bully occasionally, just for a fun thing to do.

Anyways, you're welcome. I don't often go into .enex and tweak notes, but I know it's there and available if I ever need it. In case you're interested, the following describes the format, though not the conventions used for things like tables and such, and I don't know how up to date it is. http://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/enml.php

Archived