Goodbye Evernote

roll1234

Idea

Your latest 'improvement' of only being able to choose a shared notebook as the default notebook for new notes makes it impossible for me to continue. I have a very slow, limited bandwidth satellite connection and this change is simply unworkable for me.

Goodbye!

4 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi.  Since not all users have shared notebooks,  I'd be very surprised if that's not a settings issue on your device;  but other Mac users may be able to comment further - I'm a Windows users so no experience here...  

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, roll1234 said:

Your latest 'improvement' of only being able to choose a shared notebook as the default notebook for new notes makes it impossible for me to continue.

I don't think there's been a change to the default notebook; it's always been a sync'd notebook.
A Local Notebook doesn't work well since the account may be used on multiple devices.
(default notebook is an account setting; not a device setting)

>>I have a very slow, limited bandwidth satellite connection

A cloud service might not be the best choice.

• Level 5*

Sorry - misunderstood 'shared' to mean 'shared with another user',  not synced with the server.  And yes,  in Windows its exactly the same - one notebook has to be synced so Evernote knows the account exists. 

It is however possible to create a local notebook and create new notes exclusively in that notebook,  leaving the synced notebook with no content.  Not sure in that context what happens with notes containing content clipped from a website,  since the clipped data goes straight from the browser to the server and is then synced to the local device.  But locally created image and text content should be fine.  Caveat: this content only exists on the device on which it was created - remember to keep frequent backups!

What is a local notebook?

45 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I don't think there's been a change to the default notebook; it's always been a sync'd notebook.
A Local Notebook doesn't work well since the account may be used on multiple devices.

>>I have a very slow, limited bandwidth satellite connection

A cloud service might not be the best choice.

I have been an Evernote user for close to 8 years. Until a couple of months ago the preferences settings allowed me to chose any default notebook, local or synced. Very handy for me to chose a local default, and then at my leisure and convenience, decide what I wanted to sync to the server.

Starting fairly recently the new preferences settings let you only chose synced Notebooks which does not work for me. 

I understand that a forced cloud service is not the best choice, hence goodbye EN.

Screen.jpg

Archived