How to change the auto-title feature?

When I change the first line of an existing note the Title now automatically changes to that first line of text. I can't find the checkbox to turn this maddening "feature" off. Any suggestions?

Many thanks for your assistance.

• Level 5
2 hours ago, dconnet said:

The way to "turn it off" is to type the title you want. There's no option so say "Don't use the first line if I don't type a title"

Which is unfortunate. I find that there are times when I have to make the first line of my note be what I want for the title, simply because I know that's what's going to happen anyway, even though I'd rather not have that text in the note body because it's redundant.

Obviously I could avoid this if I had Tools > Options > Note > "Set new note focus to title" turned on, and just titled each note before I created it. I think I turned that off because of a bug introduced in v. 6.5 that caused the focus to shift constantly to the title when the note is open in a separate window if that option is enabled. I am going to update to the current version soon, which seems to have fixed a lot of the bugs introduced since 6.5, and maybe I can revert to turning that option on and title my notes as I wish.

Nonetheless, and I'm sure this has been requested before, I think having a simple "do/don't use the first line as title" setting in Options would be reasonable. It would be great if it could be determined on a note-by-note basis (maybe a "use first line as title" button in the toolbar), but that might be more work to program than it would be worth.

• Level 5
1 hour ago, Major Major said:

Just guessing here, but maybe not having a title would cause the program problems, and some people might forget to add one, hence the default?

Not sure. In the Android app, at least, it is possible to create a note with no title, to which the program gives the title "Untitled Note."

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, Major Major said:

maybe not having a title would cause the program problems

AFAIK you can have as many duplicate note titles as you like and a default "untitled note" title could apply to most of your account... but it wouldn't exactly be helpful for organisation or searching.  This is just something I work around by typing the title as a first line,  followed by at least one blank line and the note body.  If I need to correct the title later there's not usually any problems...

I vividly remember changing a setting several versions ago that stopped creating an auto title from the first line of the note. I just upgraded to the latest version and now this "feature" is back. I'd really like to turn it back off again.

• Level 5
On 9/27/2018 at 2:50 PM, Dave-in-Decatur said:
On 9/27/2018 at 12:23 PM, dconnet said:

The way to "turn it off" is to type the title you want. There's no option so say "Don't use the first line if I don't type a title"

Which is unfortunate. I find that there are times when I have to make the first line of my note be what I want for the title, simply because I know that's what's going to happen anyway, even though I'd rather not have that text in the note body because it's redundant.

Obviously I could avoid this if I had Tools > Options > Note > "Set new note focus to title" turned on, and just titled each note before I created it. I think I turned that off because of a bug introduced in v. 6.5 that caused the focus to shift constantly to the title when the note is open in a separate window if that option is enabled. I am going to update to the current version soon, which seems to have fixed a lot of the bugs introduced since 6.5, and maybe I can revert to turning that option on and title my notes as I wish.

Nonetheless, and I'm sure this has been requested before, I think having a simple "do/don't use the first line as title" setting in Options would be reasonable. It would be great if it could be determined on a note-by-note basis (maybe a "use first line as title" button in the toolbar), but that might be more work to program than it would be worth.

Updating on this, I have installed the latest version, 6.15, and I have turned on Tools > Options > Note > "Set new note focus to title". So far, there seems to be no problem of the cursor jumping to the note title. As far as I'm concerned, in the current state of affairs this is the fix for auto-titling: create a new note, give it a title right away, then go to the note body and type whatever I want, without concern for the first line becoming the title. But I still think an option to turn auto-titling off would be a good idea.

Archived