Templates Feature Not Working

Etonreve

Idea

I received an email from Evernote about new templates. The old templates, discussed on the blog a while back, never worked. I watched the video and followed the instructions. The option to create a template is not appearing when I create a new note.

I don't care that much about this feature and I'm still having problems with Evernote Desktop, which doesn't open, but here's one more disappointment.

UPDATE, 3 Oct. 2018

I opened Evernote on my Android phone and the template option was offered. I continue to see nothing with the Chrome version of Evernote and I still can't open Evernote Desktop on my  Windows 10 laptop.

• Like 1

32 replies to this idea

7 hours ago, SVHOODS said:

@Etonreve have you upgraded your desktop app to 7.5 on the Mac?  Have you attempted to sign in online ?

This was the problem. When I upgraded to the latest version, the templates show up. I didn't know that there was a later version available. It didn't show up in the App Store. Thanks for the help.

• Like 1
On 9/26/2018 at 2:08 AM, SVHOODS said:

@Etonreve have you upgraded your desktop app to 7.5 on the Mac?  Have you attempted to sign in online ?

I only use Windows with Chrome and have the latest version. I am using the web version because I have not been able to get the Desktop version to work on my new laptop ever since I've had it. I am using the latest full version, not the beta version.

As noted, I watched the video and followed its steps.  When I create a note there is no option to select a template, which I saved.

5 hours ago, Tpro75 said:

Having the same issues.  Have upgraded to 7.5 on Mac but the template option does not appear nor does it appear in the Web version when I run there (neither on Chrome nor Safari).

I'm using Google Chrome on a Windows computer. It's not working.

7 hours ago, Dan Barkley said:

This was the problem. When I upgraded to the latest version, the templates show up. I didn't know that there was a later version available. It didn't show up in the App Store. Thanks for the help.

Evernote Windows Desktop is still not working on my computer. I can't access the templates through the web version, which is the version of EN I've been using almost exclusively for the past five years.

Same.  On Windows 10 with both latest Evernote 6.15 (auto updated) and evernote.com web version.   NO templates.   On template page I'm logged off even if I'm logged in on another screen.  But templates do not appear anywhere.

• Like 2

I'm a long-time premium Evernote customer and am really trying to like this service. Until recently I have simply used Evernote as a "web clipper," bookmarking sites so that I could access them across my devices. Templates (meeting notes, etc.) look like a useful tool but, regardless of how many I "Save to Evernote," none are ever ever available when I create a new note--there's no "Template" icon. Other posters suggest that I should upgrade my Evernote software, but I'm using Evernote through the browser. Are templates only available if I download (one more annoying) app? Why do I not see them when logged in through my browser??

• Like 2
18 hours ago, davidsdesk said:

I'm a long-time premium Evernote customer and am really trying to like this service. Until recently I have simply used Evernote as a "web clipper," bookmarking sites so that I could access them across my devices. Templates (meeting notes, etc.) look like a useful tool but, regardless of how many I "Save to Evernote," none are ever ever available when I create a new note--there's no "Template" icon. Other posters suggest that I should upgrade my Evernote software, but I'm using Evernote through the browser. Are templates only available if I download (one more annoying) app? Why do I not see them when logged in through my browser??

I just looked in my web version of Evernote. I use Google Chrome. I didn't see the template either.

• Like 1
On 9/26/2018 at 6:24 AM, Dan Barkley said:

If you are like me and like to have the latest features as soon as they come out (update when you want to) I recommend uninstalling the app store version and doing a direct download from the website https://www.evernote.com/download

The app store can get behind due to the approval process with Apple. Plus if you like to run betas you can sign up through your settings on the direct download version.

• Thanks 1

UPDATE - SOLUTION

On Windows 10 I have now found a way to make it work.  If one goes to the template page (https://www.evernote.com/templates) and you select a template - it DOES add it to your template library if you are logged into Evernote in a separate window on the same browser.  It is massively confusing because the template page asks to SIGN UP or LOG IN - and if you do so - you immediately lose that page.  I can't find any sequence or solution to showing it LOGGED IN - but it doesn't seem to matter.

When you then go to add a NEW NOTE (in Evernote Windows)  There is a small icon labeled TEMPLATE in the body that allows you to select from those you added on the template page.

At Evernote.com however the OLD evernote does not give you this option.  You must go to YOUR ACCOUNT on the bottom left of the Evernote.com page, and select (something similar to) TRY NEW EVERNOTE WEB LAYOUT).   This will take about 10-15 seconds to load and when you add a new note - it also has the templates you have selected.

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, ChrisTinaBruce said:

I am having the same issue. Tried on my Mac and a Windows laptop using Chrome. The template saved saved but does not. I can not find any other way to load or save and templates.

Please see my updated note on this string.  Hopefully this will help.

• Like 1
On 10/10/2018 at 1:03 PM, Etonreve said:

I just looked in my web version of Evernote. I use Google Chrome. I didn't see the template either.

Please check my new update on this below.  Hopefully it will work for you.

• Thanks 1
On 10/12/2018 at 4:21 PM, rightjb said:

Please check my new update on this below.  Hopefully it will work for you.

Thank you for figuring this out and telling us. Evernote Windows 10 is still not working on my desktop but I will try the browser version sometime, although it seems a little complicated. To be honest, I'm wary of adopting too many new Evernote features. In the past, I used Evernote Food, which created templates to record memorable meals and then it no longer existed. I tried to use Skitch (a graphics program that was never properly explained and I never understood how to integrate it into my other notes) and then that was no longer supported. Best to stick to the meat-and-potatoes of the web clipper.

Evernote has a history of releasing features that don't work or aren't fully or well explained. I had the same problem with a set of templates created for Getting Things Done. The EN blog made a big deal out of them and then I couldn't open them. The Marketing and PR departments too often are out of sync with the departments directly responsible for the functioning of the product.

On 10/10/2018 at 3:16 PM, rightjb said:

I'm a little shocked @EverNote hasn't responded to this after WEEKS passing....

How long have you been a member of this forum? ?

At least recently the number of notebooks was increased, a feature requested for many years. I'm going to bask in the enjoyment of that for the next several months.

12 hours ago, Basil5777 said:

I have the Template option and even saved samples. But when I apply, i got the error message that “Template is not currently available”. This is on my iPad and IPhone 

do we need a paid account for this? 

I was able to do it as a basic member.  Possibly give it some time to appear?

Same as mine.  Updated Mac version 7.5.2, but the template function do not work.  No option on new notes, not saving option on the menu.  I reinstalled, but not work.  I tried web version, found that it only have the option on "new version" of web.  However, I tried to save a template, if save to "Space".  I cannot open my saved saying "No Template".  Even I tried to download and save from the demo template, it didn't work.

I am also an paid member for many years.  And now have few thousand of notes.  How can Evernote killing a loyalty member by such poor quality?  

Once more, after MacOS Mojave, the notes list also display with unwanted "black" Highlight bar.   

I found out after:

1. my version EN 7.5.2, with MacOS 10.14 is not work, but after upgraded to 7.6(beta 1), the "Template" option show up.

2. I am using evernote (International) in China.  When I using "Normal" network, it cannot save template. But if I connected network over the GFW, it can save the template.

Not sure the reason, but I think because of the template is not saving in the same way as note, but separated place which have difficult connection, like I am in China.

Because I was updated to 7.6, before testing the VPN, so I am not sure if 7.5.2 is the same reason. 

The solution suggested by Sayre Ambrosio (thanks, Sayre!) worked like a charm in my case! I am a Macbook user and was unable to add the templates to my notes. Upon downloading (re-installing) the app straight from the evernote website instead of the Mac App Store, this problem was resolved - worth a try for anyone still facing the issue (or future users who might land up on this page like I did just a few minutes ago).

On 10/19/2018 at 5:59 AM, Basil5777 said:

I have the Template option and even saved samples. But when I apply, i got the error message that “Template is not currently available”. This is on my iPad and IPhone 

do we need a paid account for this? 

Hi, I have the same problem. Did you find a solution for this? I can see templates but when I click to use it it says template is not currently available....