Partial search, search pattern within pattern, full text search should be selectable

tonychung

Idea

There have been numerous discussion topics started, and I tried to search this forum for an existing idea to upvote but searching the forums can not be restricted to a specific topic. 

Earlier discussions (attached) mention the design for the search index to search for beginning of strings to protect performance. However, many times we know partial patterns (like the middle or end of an ID number), and search doesn’t return anything. 

Such a search feature should be available, but require a check box or toggle. Then we could have a performant search AND a full character search available for use.

11 replies to this idea

While the contents of my Evernote account are growing, I  more and more rely on the Evernote search function. Searching is a primary feature and should work also for any kind of substrings.

I suggest to add substring-sensitive search, that is searching for substring "note", will also lead me to the entry "evernote", which contains the suffix "note". This does not work in the current version.

Best,

Mike

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, MikeMitch said:

I suggest to add substring-sensitive search, that is searching for substring "note", will also lead me to the entry "evernote", which contains the suffix "note". This does not work in the current version.

I added my vote and merged your note with similar requests

The current search indexing uses various shortcuts like excluding "substrings"   
Also missing are stop words and special characters

There's also a request to enhance the search feature with full Boolean functionality  

I am very diappointed that EN search still seems only optimised for english language. I am a german user and search is pretty worthless as EN cannot handle partial search within words. Even not in title of notes.

Example: "Audioverzögerung" (audio delay). When I search vor "verzögerung" (literally "delay")  which would be the obvious way of searching, I get no results = 0. I cannot understand why EN can even not perform partial search in the title of notes. The needed resources seem to me very low. Every desktop search is capable of doing it (but FULLTEXT). Not to mention it is absolutely no problem for OneNote either for example.

It is a search killer for languages using compound words. You cannot find your stuff because using your native and correctly written language. Somehow EN forgot the international users out of the english universe... not the best way when wanting to be the best EN.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Alxa said:

I am very diappointed that EN search still seems only optimised for english language. I am a german user and search is pretty worthless as EN cannot handle partial search within words. Even not in title of notes.

Example: "Audioverzögerung" (audio delay). When I search vor "verzögerung" (literally "delay")  which would be the obvious way of searching, I get no results = 0. I cannot understand why EN can even not perform partial search in the title of notes. The needed resources seem to me very low. Every desktop search is capable of doing it (but FULLTEXT). Not to mention it is absolutely no problem for OneNote either for example.

It is a search killer for languages using compound words. You cannot find your stuff because using your native and correctly written language. Somehow EN forgot the international users out of the english universe... not the best way when wanting to be the best EN.

Even the addition of wildcard characters like * doesn't help. Annoying.

• Level 5*
On 10/30/2020 at 1:54 PM, Alxa said:

EN has never had in word search, no matter the language..  It has always been a search from the beginning of the word.  The new version did not address that as you have found.

That's it. No development in functionality. I cannot understand why EN celebrates their search functionality. When even basic full (in-)text search is not possible all the other shiny features within search do not offer any benefits to me at all. Search results = 0 by search string cannot be narrowed further by other filters 🙄

What I do not understand is, why they limit the text search that drastically. It is a no brainer to do this type of search and indexing at least at the desktop app level (maybe offline search when they cannot afford the server computing time even for premium users?!). When I want to have full search access to my data I have to search with a desktop search engine within my HTML-Exports of Evernote. It is ridiculous!

• Level 5*
55 minutes ago, Alxa said:

That's it. No development in functionality. I cannot understand why EN celebrates their search functionality. When even basic full (in-)text search is not possible all the other shiny features within search do not offer any benefits to me at all. Search results = 0 by search string cannot be narrowed further by other filters 🙄

What I do not understand is, why they limit the text search that drastically. It is a no brainer to do this type of search and indexing at least at the desktop app level (maybe offline search when they cannot afford the server computing time even for premium users?!). When I want to have full search access to my data I have to search with a desktop search engine within my HTML-Exports of Evernote. It is ridiculous!

Got me.  I know that in word search has been an oft asked for enhancement for the last 10 years.  That and a true Boolean search.

• Level 5*
On 10/30/2020 at 1:54 PM, Alxa said:

search is pretty worthless as EN cannot handle partial search within words

I merged your post with an existing discussion for this feature      
To indicate support, use the vote button at the top left corner of the discussion

On 10/30/2020 at 9:54 PM, Alxa said:

I completely agree. Only searching for a string at the beginning of the word might be annoying for users who have only notes in English, it is a lot more than annoying for user who have notes in other languages with many compound words, such as German and Dutch. This way, EverNote works better for English-language users than for other users, which is not very inclusive.

I would really be helped if EverNote did offer the option to search for strings within strings, even if it was only in the titles and tags.

• Level 5

Just searched (v10.8.5 on Mac 11.2.2):

Searching for „Korn“ finds Einkorn, Rotkorn, Vollkorn, Vollkornmehl etc., but only in pdfs. It does not find it in plain text inside of notes, there it only finds text at the word beginnings.

Mixed search results, as I see it. Because search is essential for EN, this should be fixed. „Find it all“ should not depend on the language, or the exclusive use of 4-letter-words ...

Maybe issue a support ticket ?