encryption

fred2112

Hi, is text encription any better than a few years ago with regard to security or does it still leave traces of unencrypted data on local machines and backups etc. I stopped using it for passwords some time ago but now wondering if I can revisit.

thanks

• Level 5*

I don't know any details on unencrypted data being left.
You should be doing your  encrypting in a Local Notebook otherwise there's upload to the server.
Personally, I do my encrypting outside of Evernote; using the native encryption in PDFs and Office/iWork documents.

• Level 5*
54 minutes ago, fred2112 said:

Hi, is text encription any better than a few years ago with regard to security

There has been no announced changes (that I'm aware of) to how the text encryption within a note works.

okay thanks. From what I remember I think the issue was that a note could be synched whilst it was open or being created and therefore an unencrypted version could find its way into a backup or be accessed by en whilst the encryption was off. Later I read that it could also be held locally (maybe in cache) unencrypted.   I guess that hasnt changed then if that was true. I really want to access on the move so local notebook wont work for me there. There are android apps that work well enough I was just hoping I could return to EN for that.

I keep coming back and then going then coming back again and hoping it's better lol! ... and actually I have been pleasantly suprised that the newest windows version doesnt hang as much so its quite useable :-)  

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, fred2112 said:

a note could be synched whilst it was open or being create

7 hours ago, fred2112 said:

I really want to access on the move

Users are actually a little more comfortable with how this works now - the trick on a desktop is to create your note

• in a local app - notebook or notes - and copy/ paste into a note and encrypt immediately (before sync)
  • in a Local (unsynced) Notebook,  encrypt and move across,  or
  • with neutral content placeholders,  encrypt,  then place your confidential content between the placeholders so it starts out encrypted

On a mobile device you do have some advantages - notes are not held in long-term storage,  so once synced,  there's no local unencrypted footprint to worry about;  plus while you can't encrypt a new note,  you can download a pre-prepared encrypted template to add content...

On 9/21/2018 at 5:42 AM, gazumped said:

Users are actually a little more comfortable with how this works now - the trick on a desktop is to create your note

• in a local app - notebook or notes - and copy/ paste into a note and encrypt immediately (before sync)
  • in a Local (unsynced) Notebook,  encrypt and move across,  or
  • with neutral content placeholders,  encrypt,  then place your confidential content between the placeholders so it starts out encrypted

On a mobile device you do have some advantages - notes are not held in long-term storage,  so once synced,  there's no local unencrypted footprint to worry about;  plus while you can't encrypt a new note,  you can download a pre-prepared encrypted template to add content...

Great suggestions, these may just get me to being comfortable with a new level of sensitivity in what I choose to store.

Archived