Evernote for Mac 7.5

Rich Collyer

Idea

Improvements:

* We’ve cleaned up the More Options menu (“…”) so it’s easier to find the actions you use most.
* To make upgrading effortless, we added a button to the toolbar. We promise it won’t bite, but don’t worry, you can always remove it if you’d prefer.
* Since we recently changed our appearance (does this color make our sidebar look big?), we tweaked our background colors to match.

Fixes:
* We fixed a problem where you wouldn’t see a note snippet if the note hadn’t synced properly.
* If you had more than one line of text highlighted when you tried to remove a link, all the links in the note would disappear. We’ll admit, that was taking things too far.
* Now and then, loading web views would cause a crash, but we fixed that.
* Sometimes, annotating a PDF would cause a crash, which was a big fail.
* The app would sometimes crash when checking for updates. Since updates are healthy, we put a stop to that.
* Pasting into a numbered or bulleted list would remove the list text between any images. This was less than ideal, but on the bright side, we fixed it.
* The app was forgetting your Shared with Me column widths after you closed it, which is probably not what you expected.
* Shared notebooks weren’t showing up in your Shared with Me list. And notebooks deserve love too.
* Triple-clicking one line of copy pasted in front of text on another line would break the list. But that’s a thing of the past.
* If you added Japanese characters to a bulleted list, the formatting would look weird, which was unfortunate.
* If you had 2-byte characters in a table (for example, Chinese or Japanese characters), adding a bullet point would break the table. And only WWE wrestlers should be allowed to break tables.
* Underlining couldn’t be removed from text in a table, which wasn’t helpful.
* Turning bold text off then pasting something into a list would turn bold back on. We really like bold, but that’s taking things too far.
* If you pasted bulleted lists separated by paragraphs from Word into Evernote, the gaps would disappear. You could say it was a big mess.
* Pasting data from Excel into Evernote needed a table upgrade, but there was no way for you to do it. That was an embarrassing oversight on our part.
* Pasting text into Evernote from a coding text editor messed up the formatting, but it should be smooth sailing now.
* Occasionally, changes you made to a note, including moving it to a different notebook, wouldn’t sync. Things should be back to normal now though.
* Occasionally, dragging a note from a space to the trash folder would cause the app to crash, but that’s no more.

Improvements:
* We’ve cleaned up the More Options menu (“…”) so it’s easier to find the actions you use most.
* To make upgrading effortless, we added a button to the toolbar. We promise it won’t bite, but don’t worry, you can always remove it if you’d prefer.
* Since we recently changed our appearance (does this color make our sidebar look big?), we tweaked our background colors to match.

Fixes:
* We fixed a problem where you wouldn’t see a note snippet if the note hadn’t synced properly.
* If you had more than one line of text highlighted when you tried to remove a link, all the links in the note would disappear. We’ll admit, that was taking things too far.
* Now and then, loading web views would cause a crash, but we fixed that.
* Sometimes, annotating a PDF would cause a crash, which was a big fail.
* The app would sometimes crash when checking for updates. Since updates are healthy, we put a stop to that.
* Pasting into a numbered or bulleted list would remove the list text between any images. This was less than ideal, but on the bright side, we fixed it.
* The app was forgetting your Shared with Me column widths after you closed it, which is probably not what you expected.
* Shared notebooks weren’t showing up in your Shared with Me list. And notebooks deserve love too.
* Triple-clicking one line of copy pasted in front of text on another line would break the list. But that’s a thing of the past.
* If you added Japanese characters to a bulleted list, the formatting would look weird, which was unfortunate.
* If you had 2-byte characters in a table (for example, Chinese or Japanese characters), adding a bullet point would break the table. And only WWE wrestlers should be allowed to break tables.
* Underlining couldn’t be removed from text in a table, which wasn’t helpful.
* Turning bold text off then pasting something into a list would turn bold back on. We really like bold, but that’s taking things too far.
* If you pasted bulleted lists separated by paragraphs from Word into Evernote, the gaps would disappear. You could say it was a big mess.
* Pasting data from Excel into Evernote needed a table upgrade, but there was no way for you to do it. That was an embarrassing oversight on our part.
* Pasting text into Evernote from a coding text editor messed up the formatting, but it should be smooth sailing now.
* Occasionally, changes you made to a note, including moving it to a different notebook, wouldn’t sync. Things should be back to normal now though.
* Occasionally, dragging a note from a space to the trash folder would cause the app to crash, but that’s no more.

Hello,

I upgraded to 7.5 today, and post upgrade I am unable to paste formatted code into the code blocks.

I use https://tohtml.com/python/ to highlight code which I then paste directly into the code blocks. This was working fine until today.

The previous code blocks are still formatted,

e.g

image.thumb.png.6f57e44b4748a748239cbb77325928c3.png

But the new ones are not

image.png.47888b790a4adc4a85c06fcab2e5f985.png

I believe this is a bug, appreciate if you could have a look.

Thanks,

Pulkit

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, Rich Collyer said:

Improvements:

Do you realize that you have a duplicate post?

• Level 5*
33 minutes ago, gottastayorganized said:

I'm tempted to try to reinstall the beta just so I can have that back!

If I thought this useful, I wouldn't hesitate to reinstall the beta version; I've downgraded many times.

• Level 5*
On 9/19/2018 at 10:24 AM, Rich Collyer said:

We’ve cleaned up the More Options menu (“…”) so it’s easier to find the actions you use most.

Share appears to have replaced reminders so I now have to dig to create reminders.  I've created hundreds of reminders over the years ... I've shared two notes, so easier to find the actions you most use? ... not for me.  FWIW.

• Level 5*
On 9/20/2018 at 8:46 AM, s2sailor said:

Share appears to have replaced reminders so I now have to dig to create reminders.  I've created hundreds of reminders over the years ... I've shared two notes, so easier to find the actions you most use? ... not for me.  FWIW.

I'm not seeing it as a replacement; Reminder will still appear in the header if set for a note226978129_ScreenShot2018-09-20at09_37_06.png.b8afacebdd3b2f3649b5526d75522169.png

I'm in the same position; rarely using the Share feature.  
It's not clear why Share was left in the header and not moved to the ... menu

>>Yes, but if creating a new reminder you have to go into the menu.  One extra click so no big deal ...

Or create a shortcut since it's now a menu item

My mistake.  I do have shortcut keys set up for reminders but it launches a reminders script.

306816434_ScreenShot2018-09-20at09_02_10.png.d393a16654bd26ab110bd2e9e53070d2.png

1802818859_ScreenShot2018-09-20at09_03_43.png.6f0088fdb05d3b3ce5d8aeabbdd04b93.png

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, DTLow said:

Reminder will still appear in the header if set for a note

Yes, but if creating a new reminder you have to go into the menu.  One extra click so no big deal but I found it curious that the share feature was promoted.  They did not do this in the latest Windows update.  I'm hoping it will remain unchanged for the Windows client.

• Level 5*
56 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

Yes, but if creating a new reminder you have to go into the menu.  One extra click so no big deal

Yeah, it is. Burying features to add more clicks to the workflow is a big deal.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, EdH said:

Yeah, it is. Burying features to add more clicks to the workflow is a big deal.

Maybe to some but not to me.  I do agree it is a step in the wrong direction and prefer they change it back to how it was.

16 hours ago, DTLow said:

I'm not seeing it as a replacement; Reminder will still appear in the header if set for a note226978129_ScreenShot2018-09-20at09_37_06.png.b8afacebdd3b2f3649b5526d75522169.png

>>Yes, but if creating a new reminder you have to go into the menu.  One extra click so no big deal ...

Or create a shortcut since it's now a menu item306816434_ScreenShot2018-09-20at09_02_10.png.d393a16654bd26ab110bd2e9e53070d2.png.243696248dbb595457eaf8250016b49c.png

1802818859_ScreenShot2018-09-20at09_03_43.png.6f0088fdb05d3b3ce5d8aeabbdd04b93.png.4cd52c6c3734ede7f8159ed7489263fe.png

I don't think I've seen it explained anywhere, so I'll point this out : the new "Share" button is hollow (as in your screenshot above) when the note is private (not shared), and turn fully green when the note is shared (either with a public URL, a shared note or a shared notebook). So the button serves two purposes: clicking it shares/unshares a note, but it also serves as a "share indicator", which is useful.

• Level 5*
10 hours ago, Vincent Noel said:

So the button serves two purposes: clicking it shares/unshares a note, but it also serves as a "share indicator", which is useful.

In previous versions, the Reminder icon also served two purposes.
Evernote's stated objective is to move the actions to the more (...) menu.  
I'm thinking we should only see Share in the note header if the note is shared

On 9/19/2018 at 11:12 PM, pulkitnt said:

Hello,

I upgraded to 7.5 today, and post upgrade I am unable to paste formatted code into the code blocks.

I use https://tohtml.com/python/ to highlight code which I then paste directly into the code blocks. This was working fine until today.

The previous code blocks are still formatted,

e.g

image.thumb.png.6f57e44b4748a748239cbb77325928c3.png

But the new ones are not

image.png.47888b790a4adc4a85c06fcab2e5f985.png

I believe this is a bug, appreciate if you could have a look.

Thanks,

Pulkit

Does no one have a problem with this or is this happening only to me??

You made simply deleting a note a two action process by hiding it under the (“…”)!!

This is the worst idea ever... I obviously am deleting notes all the time to clean up... and now you are doubling my time for this most basic function???

I am soo annoyed right now.. and i've been a paid user for almost 10 years... seriously put the delete note icon back on the note!

This is an unacceptable change!

1 hour ago, DJ Boxxy Brown said:

You made simply deleting a note a two action process by hiding it under the (“…”)!!

This is the worst idea ever... I obviously am deleting notes all the time to clean up... and now you are doubling my time for this most basic function???

I am soo annoyed right now.. and i've been a paid user for almost 10 years... seriously put the delete note icon back on the note!

Thanks for the feedback. We're moving this to our design team for further evaluation. 
In the meantime, you can efficiently delete notes by pressing ⌘ Delete on your keyboard too. 

On 9/19/2018 at 4:24 PM, Rich Collyer said:

This is a definition of 'easier' that I am unfamiliar with. 

I  use the top right-hand corner a lot to annotate various files... now it is a two-step process and the share button is huge. This is just making the workflow worse and I absolutely do not like this. I also don't understand the logic behind this. On the other hand, there should be a button that allows to share the note via email... right now, it is hidden and is a two step process... 

• Level 5*
18 hours ago, DJ Boxxy Brown said:

Can you explain the note deletion method you used in previous versions

I'm usually working in the note list and use the ⌘ Delete shortcut or right-click > Delete

I cannot believe that something as basic as the info button got moved to a bloody submenu entry (along with like four or five other button actions). How on earth could anyone ever think that the way to make it "easier to find the actions you use most" involves REMOVING a half-dozen or so super convenient miniature shortcut buttons and moving their actions into entries under an incredibly awkward and inconvenient to use submenu? And why is the share button now an utterly obnoxious color that doesn't even begin to fit in with the rest of the color theme? Please at least give us an option to hide that share button if nothing else, it's extremely distracting, especially now that it's the only remaining actual button in that area...

• Level 5*
40 minutes ago, Garzfoth said:

I cannot believe that something as basic as the info button got moved to a bloody submenu entry (along with like four or five other button actions).

I agree.  @Evernote:  May I suggest that you thoroughly test and get user feedback on changes to long-established UI BEFORE you publish a GA release?

Just because some new kid on the Dev Team thinks it is a good idea because it follows some esoteric UI guidelines, does NOT make it so.

IMO, you should NEVER change well-established UI without very good cause to do so, and without thorough end-user testing.  SW development 101.

Please return note's Reminder icon to the old place. I use reminders a lot. Because the most of my notes are tasks with deadlines. Now I should make more clicks and mouse movements to add reminder. No reasons to do this way.

On 9/21/2018 at 10:57 AM, nicolml said:

Thanks for the feedback. We're moving this to our design team for further evaluation. 
In the meantime, you can efficiently delete notes by pressing ⌘ Delete on your keyboard too. 

@nicolml, thanks for passing along the feedback from the post above.  My keyboard is not allowing me to ⌘ Delete with 7.5 version.  Thoughts?  I can right click and it does not have, ⌘ Delete as an option.

I'm here to support others who are underwhelmed by the sore thumb that is the big, green, non-essential, and utterly unmoveable SHARE button that now occupies my brain every time I simply wish to write an idea.   

Our notes do not need call to action buttons. 

More is not more. 

At the very least please provide those who prefer a simpler look the option to keep it so.  ? ??

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, SVHOODS said:

I can right click and it does not have, ⌘ Delete as an option.

Confirmed.  The ⌘ Delete shortcut applies to the 771837935_ScreenShot2018-09-23at19_18_49.png.f4308b1926e182323631e5a36bed4d5c.png
Note > Delete Note menu item

How's that look on your install?

• Level 5*
On 9/20/2018 at 6:31 AM, nicolml said:

Templates will return shortly. Please keep an eye out for an update.

Template feature is now active on my Mac; also on my iPad (IOS)

The latest version of Evernote Mac (7.5) seems to have a built-in mechanism for note templates; which is cool. I can save an existing note as a template, and upon clicking on a fresh note, I can recall the template to automatically fill the note. 

The problem is; the title and the tags of the debut note is not copied into the template and the new note. 

Although a built-in template mechanism is a good idea; the bug I mentioned makes it nearly unusable since many users (including me) use the same tags & title format on similar notes (including notes derived from a template). 

If this is not a bug but a missing feature, it should have a high priority; in my opinion.

Agree with most of the comments here. For me, Evernote is a *Personal* Information Management tool. I don't want sharing features more exposed in the interface. The new Share button is not useful for me personally. And now there is another click to perform a function like setting a Reminder. 

As many others have written, I'm also very unhappy with the reminders hidden behind another click. In never share notes and use reminders all the time. Also: As mentioned frequently in this forum: Why is there no keyboard shortcut for adding reminders?

Another new interface issue in 7.5 is visible in the following screenshot. There is plenty of space right there. Why does the name of the Notebook need to be abbreviated after ONE Letter?

image.thumb.png.46098303b22781355225322bc41583bd.png

For me 7.5. is another step backwards in usability.

Another thing... 

In case anyone is listening...

I use "annotations" a lot... a huge part of my workflow... 

Take a snapshot/picture/note... then annotate it and save it to the appropriate notebook/share/email...

Annotation is now a 3-4 step process!!! could be one click. 

I don't really need the annotation summary! Not sure if anyone does (not doing legal document review in evernote)... it should be an option rather than default. 

I know evernote would want to discourage sharing notes via email and have everyone get evernote instead... but unfortunately it doesn't work that way.. they actually get the emails and then ask how I did "that"...

...already considering alternatives here...

This update broke check box line spacing for me on Mac. I used to like to use evernote for to do lists, because even though they aren't nicely organized or categorized like a real task manager, at least they are flexible, they can have links to other evernote notes, and they can be organized in a hierarchy with bullets. 

With this update, there is inexplicable extra spacing between check box list items. See the attached screenshots, I took one on a different laptop that I hadn't updated. Note that it is not an issue for bulleted lists without check boxes. Not a life-threatening issue, but now I can't see as many tasks on the screen. Because there is no way to edit a basic thing like line spacing (gmail inbox even gives you the option to choose between 'normal' and 'compact' in list view), it's stuck this way. ? Maybe I'll make the full switch to Notion for task lists, they're very nicely formatted and give great outlining and toggle/minimization options like Onenote does, which is something that I've wished for in Evernote for about a decade. 

unnamed.png

new_spacing.png

4 minutes ago, Marco Baccolo said:

I am using Mojave 10.14 and Evernote 7.5.

I have big problem : on the note list I have Black line on some title notes and it's impossible to work. This black line appear after click to open the note.

All the system appear slower.

Please solve the problem !!!!! 

Thanks for reporting. We're aware of this bug and have made the necessary fixes for a future update. Thanks!

10 minutes ago, Vik Gupta said:

I updated my system to Mohave 10.14 and the latest evernote update... now it seems to be making my whole system freeze! Even not giving me the option to "force quit"...

Thanks. I'd recommend to contact Support about this as they will need your activity log and sample logs from activity monitor. https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us

On 9/20/2018 at 11:50 AM, DTLow said:

Or create a shortcut since it's now a menu item306816434_ScreenShot2018-09-20at09_02_10.png.d393a16654bd26ab110bd2e9e53070d2.png.243696248dbb595457eaf8250016b49c.png

1802818859_ScreenShot2018-09-20at09_03_43.png.6f0088fdb05d3b3ce5d8aeabbdd04b93.png.4cd52c6c3734ede7f8159ed7489263fe.png

This does not work for me. I added the shortcut and it does show up in the menu. Pressing the shortcut does nothing, though.

It seems like this menu never has focus, so the shortcut is sent to Evernote's general menu and not acted upon? Everything looks exactly as in your screenshots for me, but no luck. Does it work for you?

1 hour ago, DTLow said:

The reminder shortcut works for me.  I get this date box1904177355_ScreenShot2018-09-26at18_24_55.png.d74dc633de29002d0ffce92c0566de9c.png

Is your focus in the specific note? 

OK, this is different here:

1. When I click on the ellipses that open the menu with the "Add Reminder..." item, and the menu is open, then the keyboard shortcut works. In no other situation the shortcut works. In particular not when the focus is on the text area of the note
  2. My reminder Dialogue is different form yours. I get a "Reminder added" box and then I have to do yet another click to add a date (another UI error!)
  • Level 5*
30 minutes ago, ThomassamohT said:

OK, this is different here:

Oops

I confirmed your results and will remove my posts.
When I used the shortcut keys, my Reminder AppleScript ran

Any chance we can do without the juvenile—and somewhat sycophantic:

• We’ll admit, that was taking things too far.
  • , but we fixed that.
  • , which was a big fail.
  • Since updates are healthy, we put a stop to that.
  • This was less than ideal, but on the bright side, we fixed it.
  • , which is probably not what you expected.
  • And notebooks deserve love too.
  • But that’s a thing of the past.
  • , which was unfortunate.
  • And only WWE wrestlers should be allowed to break tables.
  •  which wasn’t helpful.
  • We really like bold, but that’s taking things too far.
  • You could say it was a big mess.
  • That was an embarrassing oversight on our part.
  • , but it should be smooth sailing now.
  • Things should be back to normal now though.
  • , but that’s no more.

I have a good feeling I'm not the only one who finds this additional commentary rather irritating.

On 9/24/2018 at 11:34 AM, dtprof said:

Agree with most of the comments here. For me, Evernote is a *Personal* Information Management tool. I don't want sharing features more exposed in the interface. The new Share button is not useful for me personally. And now there is another click to perform a function like setting a Reminder. 

This x100. Stop pushing us to share. Same goes for the text "You can always share later" when one creates a new notebook and selects "private" (I realize this has been there for ages but point still stands). Just stop.

Screen Shot 2018-09-26 at 21.07.13.png

14 hours ago, Marco Baccolo said:

I am using Mojave 10.14 and Evernote 7.5.

I have big problem : on the note list I have Black line on some title notes and it's impossible to work. This black line appear after click to open the note.

All the system appear slower.

Please solve the problem !!!!! 

14 hours ago, nicolml said:

Thanks for reporting. We're aware of this bug and have made the necessary fixes for a future update. Thanks!

Try going to system preferences->accessibility->display->uncheck "reduce transparency"

2 hours ago, t0d0r said:

Very clean :), now I can't see my Notebook name... @Rich Collyer

76881768_Screenshot2018-09-28at16_10_23.thumb.png.1efd2e2f16c7de678b29428223533b23.png

Seconded.

How is this a good use of space? And really, what on earth is going on over there? I follow these threads closely—too closely—and upon every release a crop of new issues always arises. Time to really consider porting out my data, especially as Evernote increases in price, yet delivers more bugs with each release.

Screen Shot 2018-09-28 at 10.39.24.png

My workflow has been affected by the removal of the graphic icons for Set Reminder and Delete.  Not only are these functions buried in the More menu now, they have no graphic icons associated with them which makes the workflow slower and more complicated.  Please return the icons.

On 9/25/2018 at 1:34 AM, dtprof said:

I agree with most comments here that the new Toolbar is a step back with regard to user-friendliness.

Please give us back the delete and reminder buttons. Those are among the most used parts of the toolbar and have been taken away. Without even the possibility of dragging them back in from the options! 

As a long-term premium user I am really upset about this. Bad thinking.

And also: please allow us to get rid of ugly green SHARE button in the right corner.

Cheers,

Joris

On 9/21/2018 at 11:21 PM, DJ Boxxy Brown said:

I absolutely agree with this reaction. Of all the changes to the toolbar area, taking away the delete button is the most stupid and annoying of them all...

• Level 5*
13 hours ago, t0d0r said:

Very clean :), now I can't see my Notebook name...

Not sure what's going on with your notebook name.
I'm seeing space that expands to fit the notebook name
1738999096_ScreenShot2018-09-28at21_27_43.png.1b432b2e4e44ff5a1fb1d6fa464ba8a0.png

On 9/24/2018 at 8:34 PM, dtprof said:

I agree and I would really like to have the reminder-button back (and a shortcut for reminders).

On 9/21/2018 at 9:21 AM, DJ Boxxy Brown said:

"Seriously put the delete note icon back on the note! This is an unacceptable change!" 

This must be emphasized.

I write about design and often feel users whine too much about changes that improve hardware and software. But this is nuts.

Instead of tapping a single button, I'm now required to

• learn an awkward keyboard shortcut
  • option+select + choose delete, or
  • drag a note to the trash

All of which require multiple steps that a single button should be able to take care of. 

If this were a UX improvement, I'd be all for it. But it makes an extraordinarily important function significantly more complicated. I very much appreciate good design and clean interfaces, but this is really going too far. 

•  

• Level 5*

I've confirmed this on two different Macs, both with Mojave, and both with retina screens (2015 MacBook, 2016 MacBook Pro)

1. Have several apps open
  2. Open Evernote
  3. Go to Work chat (it happens in other cases, but work chat screen will be most pronounced)
  4. switch to another app so Evernote is not in foreground, but is open
  5. do the three finger swipe up on touch pad.
  6. All of the open windows will behave normally, but Evernote's window will be super jittery and you cannot read its contents until you actually switch to it.

This happens in both dark and light mode. 

14 hours ago, DTLow said:

Not sure what's going on with your notebook name.
I'm seeing space that expands to fit the notebook name
1738999096_ScreenShot2018-09-28at21_27_43.png.1b432b2e4e44ff5a1fb1d6fa464ba8a0.png

No, it is not my notebook name, the name is is long only 3 chars. Also you can see that other people hit the same issue..

I'm switching now to devel edition, to check if the problem still exists.

Evernote team must replace their UX designer with someone else...

I just want to add my voice to this thread as well. I am a long time paying Evernote customer (more than 9 years now), and often recommend it to colleagues and associates, many of whom have gone on to become paying customers as well.  But this latest UI redesign where you collapsed everything under a single button now adds multiple clicks to my daily workflow. I add multiple notes a day for research purposes and use the Note Information area to add URLs of articles and other information I am putting into my notebooks. It was cumbersome enough to have to go under the Info button, but now it's two clicks!  Please bring back the old ribbon style layout as shown below! This is one upgrade that you've done that is simply not good.

Evernote_Ribbon.png.475c4af3ad2716aa0e63c4a0725818a5.png

I have sent a message one week ago regarding a big problem that I have using to use Evernote 7.5 with Mojave 10.14 regarding the list of notes that during the scrolling come black and it is very difficult to work with.

you say that you know this and you would have solved in the next release.   Now I see 7.5.1 and I have the same problem .

What can I do ???

Please solve asap.

I made the mistake of buying an annual premium subscription having never used Evernote before.

Features aside, I use Mac to record notes 99% of the time and the evernote mac app is running so slow when you scroll and is using a lot of CPU usage in activity monitor. I have no problem using much more powerful applications on my 5k iMac. I have seen others complaining of the same issue. I have spent more time this past day or two seeing if I can get a refund, I have never come across a worse piece of 'premium' subscription based software. 

Until it improves (how that is going to happen when people have been complaining of this for months and it's not been addressed in this update), I am going back to onenote, I'll just have to accept that this week I paid for an app that is going to sit dormant for the year.

7 hours ago, Marco Baccolo said:

I have sent a message one week ago regarding a big problem that I have using to use Evernote 7.5 with Mojave 10.14 regarding the list of notes that during the scrolling come black and it is very difficult to work with.

you say that you know this and you would have solved in the next release.   Now I see 7.5.1 and I have the same problem .

What can I do ???

Please solve asap.

Marco: go to system preferences->accessibility->display and make sure "reduce transparency" is not checked.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, adorno's gray said:

go to system preferences->accessibility->display and make sure "reduce transparency" is not checked.

Sorry, but that is NOT an acceptable solution for many of us, who MUST "reduce transparency" in order to make the screen readable, due to our less-than-perfect eyesight.

ATTN: @Evernote:  Please find another solution for this.

3 minutes ago, JMichaelTX said:

Sorry, but that is NOT an acceptable solution for many of us, who MUST "reduce transparency" in order to make the screen readable, due to our less-than-perfect eyesight.

ATTN: @Evernote:  Please find another solution for this.

Agreed; is just a temporary workaround, at best.

Can we at least have the icons appear when we hover over the collapsed menu? This would reduce the need for another click. I miss the icons. They were easy to spot and click. Now I have to read a list of text to find the action I am looking for. If this was only a process that I would have to do a few times a day fine. Unfortunately, I am finding myself doing this a lot. It is slowing down routine actions/tasks. Eventually, I guess I would learn the order of the text. I believe the "hover to show icons" would be a comprise between having the icons and keeping the screen uncluttered. 

Just my opinion. 

Thanks

Thanks for your reply, I  installed Evernote Beta and waiting for fix :)

Please file one bug for "trash" and  "remind me" buttons, it is better to have them in next version customised. Lots of people including me don't like to dig in the menus...

5 minutes ago, t0d0r said:

Thanks for your reply, I  installed Evernote Beta and waiting to fix :)

Please file one bug for "trash" and  "remind me" buttons, it is better to have them in next version customised. Lots of people including me don't like to dig in the menus...

Will do. Our design team is aware of the feedback at this time. Thank you!

I agree with most of the comments here. Was really disappointed to find out that one of my favorite buttons, the reminder button disappeared, and instead appeared the Share button that I have never used.

To be honest I have never used Evernote with a team, and every time a team feature is pushed unto me I get annoyed more by the nose.

At least provide a way to customize the buttons on a note?

Appreciate you reading these comments and addressing them in the next release.

I too am appalled that any UI designer would think burying things like the Delete button in a sub menu is a good idea. I NEVER share a note, why must I live with this obnoxious, useless button? Please return the UI to its previous state.

It looks like they're not listening. I just got an update (Version 7.5.2) but it is still the same UI disaster.

I want my Delete and Reminder buttons back! As to the share button I don't really care for it as I don't use it all that often, but then please make it a button that one can choose to have on the toolbar or not. As it is, it sticks out like a sore thumb.

Re: toolbar. Why don't you guys just add the requested buttons to the menu of buttons that you can add when customising it? And if you want to have Share among those options, be my guest, I will just disregard it. But Delete and Reminder are a must.

Has the new rookie designer been fired yet?  ;->

• Level 5*
On 10/1/2018 at 7:07 PM, shaolin007 said:

...Was really disappointed to find out that one of my favorite buttons, the reminder button disappeared, and instead appeared the Share button that I have never used....

3 hours ago, cbell55 said:

I too am appalled that any UI designer would think burying things like the Delete button in a sub menu is a good idea. I NEVER share a note, why must I live with this obnoxious, useless button? Please return the UI to its previous state.

There seems to be much drama and concern about which buttons should appear on the note header bar

I posted the feature request linked below so users can indicate their support for a customizable header bar.  Voting buttons are at the top left corner of the discussion.

And then Chicken Little notified everyone that the sky was falling

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, DTLow said:

There seems to be much drama and concern about which buttons should appear on the note header bar

I don't see drama, just valid user feedback that the UI has taken a step backward.  If you are ok with the change, good for you, but your comment and the chicken little reference tends to trivialize the feedback from others.

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, s2sailor said:

If you are ok with the change, good for you

I had concerns with changes to the UI.  I posted my feedback and also posted feature requests.

>>your comment and the chicken little reference tends to trivialize the feedback from others.

I think feedback is important, and Evernote has requested it.; I'm trivializing the drama.

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, s2sailor said:

maybe hold back on the commentary ...

Like being "appalled", "disaster", "new rookie designer been fired yet", ...

19 hours ago, Joris G said:

It looks like they're not listening. I just got an update (Version 7.5.2) but it is still the same UI disaster.

I want my Delete and Reminder buttons back! As to the share button I don't really care for it as I don't use it all that often, but then please make it a button that one can choose to have on the toolbar or not. As it is, it sticks out like a sore thumb.

Re: toolbar. Why don't you guys just add the requested buttons to the menu of buttons that you can add when customising it? And if you want to have Share among those options, be my guest, I will just disregard it. But Delete and Reminder are a must.

Has the new rookie designer been fired yet?  ;->

7.5.2 was just an update to fix a server calling issue with Templates, no UI changes. I also wanted to take the opportunity to assure you our design team is aware of everyone's feedback and they are revising each comment. 

Keep the feedback coming our way. Thanks y'all. 

• Level 5*
14 hours ago, DTLow said:

Like being "appalled", "disaster", "new rookie designer been fired yet", ...

Exactly.  If people are unhappy let them vent.  Pouring gas on the fire doesn't aid the discussion.

I want to add my voice to this appeal. I've been an evernote user since 2008, and I rarely complain about anything. Hiding all the important tools, without even keyboard shortcuts, and mysteriously up-levelling the share button, which i have never used once in a decade, has taken me from "Evernote is a key pice of my daily workflow" to "how in the heck will I cope with this, and are there any alternative products". It may be consistent with your corporate goals for Evernote as a collaborative tool, but for my purposes, you just put all the important tools away in a drawer across the room. Who cares what color the sidebar is if the product is aggravating and inconvenient to use?

• Level 5*
On 9/22/2018 at 7:15 PM, Garzfoth said:

I cannot believe that something as basic as the info button got moved to a bloody submenu entry

fwiw  I use keybord shortcut command-shift-i to display the note information,
                                           and command-option-r to launch my reminder script.

I use keyboard shortcuts and scripting to give me quick access to actions I use often

• Level 5*
26 minutes ago, DTLow said:

fwiw  I use keybord shortcut command-shift-i to display the note information

I use keyboard shortcuts and scripting to give me quick access to actions I use often

Different people prefer/need different UI.  some are keyboard, some are mouse, some are menus, some are buttons.  What is effective for one user is NOT necessarily effective for others.  Evernote has such a broad audience that it needs to provide all of the above, and let each user choose/configure the app as they prefer.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

Different people prefer/need different UI.  some are keyboard, some are mouse, some are menus, some are buttons.  What is effective for one user is NOT necessarily effective for others.  

I think the concern expressed was for quick access.
We still have mouse actions to these action items, but it now requires an extra mouse click

>>Evernote has such a broad audience that it needs to provide all of the above, and let each user choose/configure the app as they prefer.

I posted the feature request linked below.  Please indicate your support by adding your vote.

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/116616-feature-request-customization-for-the-note-header-bar/

I use the reminders a LOT - as a task management system.  I update the reminders by completing, or postponing many note reminders per day.  an extra click  so many times every day is a BIG deal.  The other item moved to the submenu that I like is having the clickable URL for the source page available.  That's TWO extra clicks each time I want to use that.  Why not let users choose which features are in the quick display at the top of the note, and which are relegated to a menu.  Some people will like "clean" note displays, others will like all their favorite features right in front of them.

PLEASE get rid of that UGLY green share button at the top of every note. A feature I'll never use and at the very least should have an optioned to be turned off. What a crazy thing to assume it's that useful for everyone 

Very disappointing & frustrating that Evernote removed the ability to view PDFs as an image in snipet.  Why would they remove such a helpful & basic feature?

Another example of Evernote not listening to customer feedback & ignoring overwhelming feedback. 

Archived