Stacks not being created

I am dropping one notebook onto another, but a Stack is not being created. I have a Notebook called Music. Within that I want subfolders or notes with more specific categories. Do I makes notes within the Music notebook, even though I want more than notes within Music, I want folders, one for Music to Find, one for iTunes, one for Spotify.

• Level 5*

On my Mac, I can right-click on a notebooks to add/remove from a stack1218368694_ScreenShot2018-09-19at06_58_12.png.3c8f04e7e9a767b9b6a561ac05d5fe01.png

>>I want folders .....  I want subfolders

Evernote does not support folders. 
Notes can be organized using Notebooks and Tags

You can use a tags for Spotify, Itunes, Music to Find

I used to be able to drag one notebook on top of another and create stacks. Under a notebook, I have sub notebooks that are part of the main notebook's subject. It is not working now. I do not want to rely on tags. That is what I am asking.

• Level 5*
8 minutes ago, ChipAHoy said:

Under a notebook, I have sub notebooks that are part of the main notebook's subject.

And I'm telling you this is not supported by Evernote.  There has never been "sub notebooks"

• Level 5*
On 9/19/2018 at 10:33 AM, ChipAHoy said:

I used to be able to drag one notebook on top of another and create stacks. Under a notebook, I have sub notebooks that are part of the main notebook's subject. It is not working now. I do not want to rely on tags. That is what I am asking.

You didn't say which Evernote client (Windows, Mac, etc.) you're using, which would be helpful. I can tell you that dragging a notebook onto another notebook in the Evernote Windows client will automatically create a new stack, so long as the notebook that you drag it onto is not already part of a stack

DTLow is correct, though. There are no sub-notebooks in Evernote. There are stacks, which are collections of notebooks, and there are notebooks, which are collections of notes. You cannot nest stacks under stacks, or notebooks under notebooks (or stacks under notebooks, for that matter).

• 2 months later...

I can not for the life of me create a stack with two notebooks on my Mac desktop, in the notebook view (not sidebar) in Chrome or Safari. Help! Notebooks won't drag and drop on top of each other. I really appreciate any help possible. This is frustrating!

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
On 12/19/2018 at 2:03 PM, ddc said:

I can not for the life of me create a stack with two notebooks on my Mac desktop, in the notebook view (not sidebar) in Chrome or Safari. Help! Notebooks won't drag and drop on top of each other. I really appreciate any help possible. This is frustrating!

If you're using Chrome or Safari, you're using the Web platform; not Mac desktop.

Make sure you're not using the beta version of the web client.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have this problem as well and the above video does not work. Is it not possible to create Stacks in the Basic version? When I drag a folder on top of a folder, it has the "Don't Do" symbol (circle with a slash) and nothing happens.

EN support is also annoying in the way they force any question you have into their canned format. I just have a QQ - Does EN Basic support the creation of stacks?

• Level 5*
10 minutes ago, mwf05 said:

Does EN Basic support the creation of stacks?

Yes, Stacks are supported at all account levels

If you identify your device/platform, we will provide specific instructions

>>When I drag a folder on top of a folder

There is no support for folders in Evernote.  Can you post a screenshot

• 3 months later...

here is the path:

1. In the left panel, select Notebooks to open the notebook list view to the right.
  2. Click more actions button (three horizontal dots) next to the notebook you would like to add to a stack.
  3. Select Add to stack from the drop-down menu then select New stack to create new stack or select a stack name to add to an existing stack.
  • 3 months later...

I also am unable to create a stack on the Mac desktop client v7.14. Dragging / dropping does nothing, and there are no 'move to stack' options in any menu. MacOS 10.15.4 (Catalina).

• Level 5*
16 minutes ago, kidpub said:

I also am unable to create a stack on the Mac desktop client v7.14. Dragging / dropping does nothing, and there are no 'move to stack' options in any menu. MacOS 10.15.4 (Catalina).

Are you working in the Notebook page?1355405122_ScreenShot2020-05-15at9_14_09AM.png.8ca8ce97f71cea718e03cf4bc08805b6.png

I've looked pretty much everywhere on the desktop client (Notebook, Note, etc). Also tried the web client, no luck. I was able to create a stack on the iPad client (select Notebook, it's in the options ... drop-down menu). I can at least proceed now.

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, kidpub said:

I've looked pretty much everywhere on the desktop client (Notebook

Can you post a screenshot of where you're looking on the Mac
I posted a screenshot above of the notebook page

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5*
6 minutes ago, emmjayess said:

The instructions for creating stacks do not work for Mac desktop application, i.e., dragging and dropping a notebook onto another and nothing happens. Please advise.

Can you post a screenshot of where you're working on the Mac Screen

2 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Can you post a screenshot of where you're working on the Mac Screen

Hi, I found a workaround. I first removed the notebook(s) from the current stack, then combined them into a new stack. Evernote should update their Help section about this. But thanks for your quick offer of help!

Thanks to DTLow, I realized that the sidebar is collapsible. To create a new stack or add to a stack in this version of Evernote on MacOS 10.15, you must first collapse the sidebar and work within the 'Notebooks' page.

Creating a stack still DOES NOT WORK from the sidebar. I've never realized that there -is- a separate 'Notebooks' page in the desktop client, since it simply replicates what is visible in the sidebar list of notebooks. It does center the panel, though, so I guess that's a win. it obviously DID work in previous versions of Evernote, since that's where I always created stacks, until it stopped working.

3 minutes ago, kidpub said:

Thanks to DTLow, I realized that the sidebar is collapsible. To create a new stack or add to a stack in this version of Evernote on MacOS 10.15, you must first collapse the sidebar and work within the 'Notebooks' page.

Creating a stack still DOES NOT WORK from the sidebar. I've never realized that there -is- a separate 'Notebooks' page in the desktop client, since it simply replicates what is visible in the sidebar list of notebooks. It does center the panel, though, so I guess that's a win. it obviously DID work in previous versions of Evernote, since that's where I always created stacks, until it stopped working.

Not sure I follow you, but it doesn't matter now that I found a workaround. But for a company that cannot even get around to adding the "Find & Replace" function, another simple feature being confusing and convoluted isn't surprising...  🙄

• Level 5*
41 minutes ago, kidpub said:

you must first collapse the sidebar and work within the 'Notebooks' page.

Note; the sidebar isn't functional for creating stacks, but you don't have to collapse it
I roll with a minimized sidebar to reduce the screen clutter