Article width in "Simplified" mode

N.A.

Up until recent times (can't remember exactly when) the typical webpage clipped in "Simplified article" mode used to align/spread text in "justified" like mode.

But now, the text is aligned alongside the center of the note body.

Anyone experiences similar behaviour? I've attached two screenshots for comparison (ignore context please)

justified.png

centered.png

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

I see the mid-column display when I'm clipping,  but if you look at the note once the page is captured I see the full-width text.

Clipping view - clipper.thumb.jpg.37b173d7df70d7585cf4bce3d3a7370b.jpg

Note view - 857490972_noteview.thumb.jpg.2ab9e408f83c704f893c69b9bcd100c5.jpg

...and yes,  I went to see Predator with my son today.  We both enjoyed it in a purely visceral way.  (Meaning brain off and watch the pretty explosions...).  There is running.  Lots and lots of running...  ?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 9/18/2018 at 10:05 AM, gazumped said:

I see the mid-column display when I'm clipping,  but if you look at the note once the page is captured I see the full-width text.

Hey @gazumped ...man, I am still struggling with this issue... most of the time I resort to 'Article' clip mode, but would prefer to use 'Simplified Article' if only I could find a way to remove those huge left and right margins I end up with, even in Note View... it's the same wide margins, resulting in the note contents appearing centre aligned, inside a central narrow column. 

I also asked about this before here on the forum... but no solution then, so wondering if any solution now? 

Note- I use EN Web Clipper with Google Chrome v79.0.3945.117 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Attached images show a resulting note of a webpage I just test clipped using 'Simplified Article' clip mode, along with the clipper view... any help greatly appreciated

1.png

2.png

UPDATE:  I just viewed/checked this note in both EN-Android, and EN-Web (new version) and the note has no margins and displays beatifully on those 2 platforms...so at a loss to understand issue with how the note views on EN-Windows, which is the platform i use 95% of the time.

Same problem here. Pretty ticked off. Evernote gave me some back and forth tech support emails finally admitting this was a problem and a solution was coming. That was a LONG time ago. First pick below: Chrome clipper. Second, Firefox clipper, both simple format.

Almost moved to OneNote out of frustration but the migration is a *****, especially trying to keep links between notes of years worth of research intact.

Screen Shot 2020-01-14 at 4.50.54 PMPST.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-14 at 4.51.06 PMPST.png

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
18 hours ago, RavBoy said:

UPDATE:  I just viewed/checked this note in both EN-Android, and EN-Web (new version) and the note has no margins and displays beatifully on those 2 platforms...so at a loss to understand issue with how the note views on EN-Windows, which is the platform i use 95% of the time.

Might be something to do with window sizes.  I found your page and tried a few options.  I can clip the simplified text into a better layout - but it means using Evernote to simplify the text and Nimbus - or another screenshot app - to grab the visual.  Using just Clipper I got these - 

Standard full window view:

1465352377_ScreenClip2.thumb.png.5da5eb658d4a632f07fe30c54b2f51e1.png

Individual note view:

1597817620_ScreenClip1.thumb.png.581b5aabbad88de567c8a78ce00b13cd.png

...and if I reduce the window size:

ScreenClip.thumb.png.3855cafc1931ff221267472d74de19e1.png

And this might help to explain delays and discrepancies... 

https://evernote.com/blog/2020-update-progress-road-ahead/

• Thanks 1
37 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Might be something to do with window sizes.

Cheers...and yep when I expanded the middle pane, the note window appeared left aligned/no margins 🙂  

Thing is I always have the middle pane reduced/shrunk to minimum width as I only use the 'Title' column... thanks again mate, will have to make do with how things are...

• Like 1
On 1/15/2020 at 11:26 AM, gazumped said:

Might be something to do with window sizes.

-OR- it might have something to do with EN!? 

I knew I said I could live with this, but just now I was reminded by how sometimes in the past, using 'Simplified Article' clip-mode would result in no margins, or the notes contents appearing Left-Aligned.  The attached images show the same webpage clip - one clipped in the year 2018, and the other clipped today Jan 17-2020.  Today's clipped note has margins on left and right, whereas 2018's does NOT.  Strange and weird.  @Scott T. are you able to shed any light on this please?

1.png

2.png

• Ex Employees

@RavBoy I don't use Windows personally, but if I understand what your issue is, I think we have this addressed in the new editor which we're working hard to release across all platforms. It will be available in the new Windows client we're working on (see the earlier link to our blog post for 2020). 

If you take a look at this screen capture, you can see we allow you to manipulate captured content and also select how to display content in the editor.

• Thanks 1

Scott, now THAT actually looks like it will be a solution finally. I use most recent MacOS and Chrome with a clipper. I also use the MacOS Evernote Desktop client for 99.5% of my Evernote work. Will this reach us also?

KEY: Will there be a default setting such as the viewing across full window option be a default select?

• Ex Employees
Just now, airlifter2 said:

Scott, now THAT actually looks like it will be a solution finally. I use most recent MacOS and Chrome with a clipper. I also use the MacOS Evernote Desktop client for 99.5% of my Evernote work. Will this reach us also?

KEY: Will there be a default setting such as the viewing across full window option be a default select?

Yes, the new editor will be on all platforms. I think we're looking to release the new clients pretty close together, though I think mobile is a bit ahead in terms of progress.

The setting for note width is persisted for any note you view.

• Like 1
  • Ex Employees

Also, the "Web Clip" in the video is how the new editor tries to maintain the most reliable view of the content that you clipped, as opposed to the random formatting that the old editor attempted to apply automatically to clips.

22 minutes ago, Scott T. said:

we have this addressed in the new editor which we're working hard to release across all platforms. It will be available in the new Windows client we're working on (see the earlier link to our blog post for 2020). 

If you take a look at this screen capture, you can see we allow you to manipulate captured content and also select how to display content in the editor.

Woohoo... Cheers @Scott T..  I'm very much looking forward to receiving this update...thanks for letting us know, awesome, and love your work 😉 

...in the mean time @Scott T., @gazumped, @airlifter2 I have found a workaround to the issue of web-clips using 'Simplified Article' mode that result in large margins on left/right side of note contents. 

This workaround requires a little extra 2-step shuffle... and works for me using Google Chrome EN Web-clipper on Windows PC

PROCESS (IF Using EN-Windows App)

Clip a web page using 'Simplified Article' mode > EN clipper for Chrome/Firefox

1. Sync EN on PC > Open the newly created Note (should have its contents centre aligned)
  2. CTRL+A  (to select the note contents) 
  3. CTRL+C  (to copy note contents)
  4. CTRL+N  (to create new note)
  5. CTRL+V  (to paste contents into this new note)

This new 2nd note should now have all its contents 'Left Aligned', and take up the full size of the note window.  The process is a bit involved, but if your OCD kicks in, well, now you have a way to satisfy it 😉 

EXAMPLE -ORIGINAL NOTE 1

2.png

EXAMPLE -CONTENTS PASTED TO NOTE 2

3.png

NOTE**

On occasion I have noticed this 2-step shuffle workaround fails to work...and it appears to have something to do with Step 2 using CTRL+A, I think... so the solution that works in this step 2/case, is to manually select the note contents, by dragging/highlighting then doing Step 3 CTRL+C ...and it works fine

Finally, when you look at the before and after images attached above, you can see a lot less screen real estate is used by the text, and the images are even larger...nice

METHOD 2

Consider the above post, my Method 1.  The issue with Method 1 is having to create a 2nd Note to paste the contents to, which then necessitates that you also have to go the extra steps of copy/pasting the Note Title and URL...so just takes too long.

Here's the much easier, new and improved way to do this...and it looks really great now. 

1. EN-Clip your webpage using 'Simplified Article' (Google Chrome or Firefox Extension)
  2. Sync EN, and Open the newly created Note
  3. Highlight & Copy Note contents (don't use CTRL+A) position cursor or drag/highlight from 1st character to last character of the note contents, then CTRL+C  (to copy contents)
  4. CTRL+A  (to select all Contents)  > Press Delete to remove all contents...you should now see a brand new note window with the top line offering to use a template image.png.9854748d2c0e23dcf5eecda5d6668df5.png
  5. CTRL+V  (to paste contents) ...END

So much easier and faster, and works great...cheers

• Like 1
  • 10 months later...

I try to keep track of Evernote updates but sometimes miss things. I've been using the 2-step shuffle, which I discovered on my own, for ages, but it's an incredible pain, and today I decided to google for solutions to the incredibly annoying wide-margin problem (which I experience when I clip  articles in Simplified format from either Firefox or Chrome). I found this thread, but nothing since last January. Has anything ever come of this proposed fix?

• Level 5*

Hi.  What you may have missed is that Evernote have completely rewritten and reissued all versions of their app so that new rules apply.  v10.x is now supported,  all other versions,  basically not;  so if you're not using v10 you might want to try it out - but please read the reviews for it in your particular OS here in the Forums before going further!!

Wow, yes, you sure are correct, I somehow completely missed this enormous thing that happened and have kept right along using what I guess was the last v. 6.xxx (Windows), since I never got a notice to update and...while I thought I subscribed to the blog or list or something, I guess I must not. I feel a little dumb for not having looked into it further before posting, but thank you for politely alerting me! My very brief review does not make excited about this update, but I will read more and decide what to do. I still use a very old (pre-2018) version of Evernote on my desktop, because I prefer it in many ways (for one thing, I don't get the margin problem when using the web clipper) even though it has some annoying bugs, but I've kept my laptop up to date - maybe not anymore though.

Thanks again!

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
13 minutes ago, justacat said:

I've kept my laptop up to date - maybe not anymore though.

I'm staying with the last public version before 10 on my Windows / Android devices for the moment.  Features are being added back very quickly though - if you want to get a safe preview,  sign in via a browser and Evernote.com - the web editor is a good indication of the new apps work.

Em 18/01/2020 at 03:50, RavBoy disse:

METHOD 2

Consider the above post, my Method 1.  The issue with Method 1 is having to create a 2nd Note to paste the contents to, which then necessitates that you also have to go the extra steps of copy/pasting the Note Title and URL...so just takes too long.

Here's the much easier, new and improved way to do this...and it looks really great now. 

1. EN-Clip your webpage using 'Simplified Article' (Google Chrome or Firefox Extension)
  2. Sync EN, and Open the newly created Note
  3. Highlight & Copy Note contents (don't use CTRL+A) position cursor or drag/highlight from 1st character to last character of the note contents, then CTRL+C  (to copy contents)
  4. CTRL+A  (to select all Contents)  > Press Delete to remove all contents...you should now see a brand new note window with the top line offering to use a template image.png.9854748d2c0e23dcf5eecda5d6668df5.png
  5. CTRL+V  (to paste contents) ...END

So much easier and faster, and works great...cheers

Jesus, this just... works. Thank you. I was, for a long time, removing formatting then adjusting the note manually. I never tried your method before because I thought copying the note would also copy the messy formatting. Now I can use Evernote web clipper in Chrome again.

I need to say it's an issue with "newer" web clipper versions. Opera webclipper is still in 6.13.2 version (from January 2018) and it saves the articles perfectly. Even Firefox is saving them messy since last months.

Evernote just doesn't care about this, so the only way to make webclipper useful is with this workaround.

EDIT: it still saves font as PT Serif 12; so it's not perfect, but it's way better than messy formatting