iOS attachments inline viewing

cannondale63

Idea

12 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Because of the limited storage on most mobiles and the possibility of some attachments being multi-MB in size,  mobiles will display icons for every file type except images.  It is possible to convert a PDF to images if you specifically need to view it,  or scan a document to JPG - one page to one mage file.  Otherwise a click or tap on the icon will download the PDF file content as required...

I like to hand write my meeting notes in Notability (I like the UI much better than Penultimate) and then send them to Evernote for storage and later reference.  I would really like to be able to see the contents of the PDF files I attach inline (as well as having the PDF attached).  

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
8 hours ago, Sven_R said:

Why not bring two good things together?

You're switching the topic - it would be better to start a new discussion

In the past, Evernote did make a commitment to these features; they purchased the Penultimate product.  
This was when Evernote was Venture Capital funded.

These days, I don't believe there are the resources ($) to finance another product purchase; or support this development within Evernote

GoodNotes is a good product; I also use Notability.
I don't have a  problem using these external products and storing the documents in Evernote

5 hours ago, DTLow said:

You're switching the topic - it would be better to start a new discussion

In the past, Evernote did make a commitment to these features; they purchased the Penultimate product.  
This was when Evernote was Venture Capital funded.

These days, I don't believe there are the resources ($) to finance another product purchase; or support this development within Evernote

GoodNotes is a good product; I also use Notability.
I don't have a  problem using these external products and storing the documents in Evernote

I think inline preview and editing a PDF are addressing a feature  that many users miss on the iPad-Version of Evernote. 

Direct view and directly annotate the dokument without switching the app.

Hi I’m very confused.  I just got an iPad and paid for premium on my Evernote account.  When I add a pdf to Evernote, it shows as an icon on the iPad version.  In the mac/desktop version I can see the whole pdf inline (by right clicking and choosing view inline).  Is there a reason this is missing on iOS?  Is it something you can add?

thanks!

• Level 5

Yes, there is a reason: On the desktop clients (Mac, Win) EN creates a local database. This is used to show stuff.

On mobile clients (iOS, Android) there is no local database (unless you define notebooks as „offline“). So the notes are there only as a short title + preview. Only when you choose a note, it is downloaded from the server. The display is only possible after the download took place.

• Level 5*
18 hours ago, mlor1998 said:

When I add a pdf to Evernote, it shows as an icon on the iPad version.  In the mac/desktop version I can see the whole pdf inline (by right clicking and choosing view inline).  Is there a reason this is missing on iOS?  Is it something you can add?

I thought it was an IOS limitation
The only inline display supported by Evernote/IOS is images

Hi there! 
It would be super nice to be able to get at least a first page inline viewing of attached files such as PDF. It is so much easier to recall what the file contains when you can see the first page ! It could be a little bit like the inline viewing experience of the Mac v10 or like the Dropbox Paper app. 

See screen capture. 

6C78D8A0-FA44-4B55-BFE5-E3264D02A8EC.jpeg

+1 for this request. I use my iPad Pro like my PC, there’s no reason why it should behave differently on this device. If I select a note I’d expect it to load or start streaming pages of the PDF to an inline view. Like other here, I use Notability to take meeting notes and then share them with my Evernote premium account. It’s frustrating that I can’t quickly read those notes without having to open a file each time.