Auto-save edits

iNik

Idea

When I use the web interface or Mac version, my edits are saved while I type. On Android, I have to leave edit mode in order to save changes. Not such a big deal on a phone where I'm not doing a lot of input, but now that I'm using it more on a Chromebook, I really miss that feature.

4 replies to this idea

• Level 5
2 hours ago, iNik said:

When I use the web interface or Mac version, my edits are saved while I type. On Android, I have to leave edit mode in order to save changes. Not such a big deal on a phone where I'm not doing a lot of input, but now that I'm using it more on a Chromebook, I really miss that feature.

Hmm, I find that when I'm editing a note on Android, the 3-dot menu at top right does have a Save Note option. I presume this just saves it to some temporary storage on the device, rather than fully syncing it to Evernote's servers. To me, that makes sense to save time and data usage.

When you first write a note it autosaves it as you "back out" of the note, which is what I expect. I also expect that to happen when I am editing a note, it is hellishly annoying to see a popup asking me if I want to "discard changes".

See Gmail and the editing of drafts for a good example of the desired functionality.

If you are worried about people losing edits, how about storing a proper "undo" history and giving them the option to actually undo a change even if they make a mistake, leave and come back to the note? I haven't seen a popup in years, and vehemently dislike them. A proper event-based programming model will easily allow for this.