Issue with copy and pasting from websites

DilipN

No doubt Evernote stands out from the crowd of other note taking apps and I rely on it for various activities on a daily basis. I am using a free version as of now and would want to go for paid provided some issues are sorted. Recently, I noticed that when i copy paste text from any website, the texts pasted include unwanted spaces. For example, a sentence if copied and pasted will be broken to several different lines and will be pasted in a vertical line instead as a paragraph. Seems like some sort HTML format issue. Tried remove formatting etc but didn't work. Plz help.

• Level 5*

Hi.  Evernote converts standard HTML into its own slightly altered version so that it's scalable and  transferrable between different operating systems.  Sometimes that doesn't produce the same formatting that it does in a browser.  For some reason saving to another word processing app - MSWord or equivalent - and then copy/ pasting into Evernote will give a better result.

• Level 5

It would definitely be better if Evernote could handle pasted HTML perfectly, and hopefully they're working on that (though I don't know that they are). In the meantime, MS Word (which is a long way from being "a simple notepad") was developed with more focus on formatting options for pasted text, and I often find it a useful intermediary for Evernote and for some other programs. In fact, that's about all I use it for; but that's another story. Of course, if one does paste into the very simple Notepad program, all the HTML is going to be completely eliminated, taking every bit of formatting with it. That's another solution, which I've also used when all I wanted was the unformatted text; but I doubt if anyone wants Evernote to do that!

• Level 5*
On 9/11/2018 at 2:24 AM, DilipN said:

No doubt Evernote stands out from the crowd of other note taking apps and I rely on it for various activities on a daily basis. I am using a free version as of now and would want to go for paid provided some issues are sorted. Recently, I noticed that when i copy paste text from any website, the texts pasted include unwanted spaces. For example, a sentence if copied and pasted will be broken to several different lines and will be pasted in a vertical line instead as a paragraph. Seems like some sort HTML format issue. Tried remove formatting etc but didn't work. Plz help.

Most of the time I use clipper to capture web pages.  Sometimes clipper will bork up the resultant page.  I will then do a copy'paste which typically looks great, a true representation of the page.  I wonder if what you are seeing is particular to the web site you are trying to capture.  What web sites are you having issues with?  Do other sites work okay?

Archived