14 minutes ago, cswilly said:

Spell check seems to be fixed for me in 6.15. But I need to re-add all my words ?

Where is the dictionary file stored in 6.15?

To answer my own question. The dictionary file is stored: C:\Users\<<USER NAME>>\Evernote\LocalStorage\Custom Dictionary.txt

Sadly, you no longer can edit words into the text file. Some goofball of a programmer added a checksum_v1 to the file. Wonderful.

Now I will have to add one-by-one all my words after Evernote forgot them for the 10th time.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Thanks for the replies.

The issue I have, is that I'm dyslexic and seem to have added some words that I do not recognise and therefore changes them from an incorrect spelling to another incorrect spelling. I want to remove these words, but as cswilly mentioned its not possible to edit the file, so there's no way to remove them? Any ideas on how I can rectify this?

• 2 months later...
On 9/7/2018 at 9:21 AM, cswilly said:

To answer my own question. The dictionary file is stored: C:\Users\<<USER NAME>>\Evernote\LocalStorage\Custom Dictionary.txt

Sadly, you no longer can edit words into the text file. Some goofball of a programmer added a checksum_v1 to the file. Wonderful.

Now I will have to add one-by-one all my words after Evernote forgot them for the 10th time.

Ah damn, I really could have used an editable dictionary text file.

I have a medical/scientific custom dictionary of 672,208 items!

No way to add that volume one-by-one.

🤦‍♂️

• Like 2
  • 1 year later...

I have to say the Evernote built in spell check/dictionary is absolutely appalling. 

The amount of words that it underlines in 1 day, deeming incorrectly spelled is excessive. They're all correctly spelled words and these words will spell check fine on any other correctly working platform - MS, Google etc. 

This issue exists on Windows and Android, up to present and beta releases. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Lots of problems remain with spellcheck: words missing, inability to edit the dictionary, inability to spellcheck an entire note, most of it caused by an "upgrade" to the spellchecker a couple of years ago. I really hope this gets fixed at some point in the revamping of the editor that's in process.

One correction, though: I don't think there's ever been a spellchecker in the Evernote Android app. I don't think Android is really set up for that. At any rate, I don't have spellcheck on other Android apps either. The only spellcheck on Android is the autocorrect system in whatever keyboard app you're using, and Evernote (and other apps) can't control that.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Level 5*
55 minutes ago, Chagai95 said:

I was under the impression Evernote was using Windows spell checker. This is what it says on Evernote Help.

Evernote Help is possibly not correct, complete, or comprehensive... or up-to-date. As far as I know,, Evernote for Windows uses the CEF (Chromium Embedded Framework) for its underlying note edit/display engine, and the spellchecking is part of that. Possibly, CEF defers to the underlying OS for its dictionary, though, for spellchecking purposes, though I don't know that kind of CEF detail. My experience led me to believe that, at least, additions to the dictionary were  stored and managed by CEF; it's been awhile since I dug into that, though.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, jefito said:

My experience led me to believe that, at least, additions to the dictionary were  stored and managed by CEF

That was always my impression too. Though I never worked on that part of the code...

Remember when we (well, it's now 'they'!) upgraded CEF? The dictionary format changed. (Which made a number of people very grumpy)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Level 5
On 2/26/2020 at 10:34 AM, Chagai95 said:

I was under the impression Evernote was using Windows spell checker. This is what it says on Evernote Help.

What Evernote Help says on this point is:

There's no spell check feature built into Evernote for Windows. However, you can right-click a word to see spelling correction suggestions based on your operating system's capabilities.

To which I can only respond, what the what? Windows 10, I guess, does have a built-in spellchecker at the system level (unlike all previous versions of Windows). As previous posts in this thread make clear, Evernote does have its own spelling dictionary, which cannot be manually edited or added to (thanks, CEF geniuses!). It does not depend on the operating system's capabilities. What's not "built into EN for Win" is the ability to spellcheck through a file, as God intended. :) So the only part of that bit of Help that is helpful is "you can right-click a word to see spelling correction suggestions."

Of course, I haven't updated to the very latest version of EN for Windows, so I may be behind the times. Has EN taken away the spellcheck and associated dictionary so as to be integrated with Win10?

Edited by Dave-in-Decatur
Edited to remove incorrect information.
  • Like 1