Is it normal for the originals to be DELETED when they are moved to a shared notebook?

• Level 5*

My first thought was no; notes don't get deleted just by switching to a shared notebook

1. I tested  moving the note to a notebook that was shared with me
    and sure enough my note was deleted and a new note created
    Do I care?
    I tested a note link to the original note and found, the link is no longer valid
    Not good

2. I tested  moving the note to a notebook that I shared with others
    the note was not deleted, and the link was still valid
  • Level 5*

I added to my testing cases where the shared notebook is owned by myself, and a different user.
It actually makes sense that a new note is created if the note is moved to a notebook owned by someone else

From my point of view:  A note should NEVER change its internal ID (is it a GUID?) when it gets moved. Even if I export a note and re-import it, its ID should be retained as long as possible (means: as long as it does not exist in the importing EN instance [*]). This is the only way to keep links (from note to note or from outside to a note) valid as long as possible.

Currently a note gets a new ID during import operations which means that links are broken - even if you import a bunch (of linked) notes in one operation :-(

[*] If a note ID is already available, EN should compare the note's content: I they are identical, the imported note can be ignored. If they are not identical, either the newer version might win (and overwrite the older) or the notes should be merged (simply like you can merge different notes...)

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, Eldorado said:

Even if I export a note and re-import it, its ID should be retained as long as possible (means: as long as it does not exist in the importing EN instance [*]). This is the only way to keep links (from note to note or from outside to a note) valid as long as possible.

Currently a note gets a new ID during import operations which means that links are broken - even if you import a bunch (of linked) notes in one operation :-(

You could post this as a separate feature request.  

The export function would also require changes; currently the note id is omitted from the exported data file.

Archived