Save to local or web?

CWBillow

I apologize if this has been answered and I am missing it somehow, but...

I just installed EN 6.13.14.7474 (I tried the latest version, but somehow it always crashed, so I went back...).  Then I added EN to IE, Firefox Quantum, and Chrome.

When I take a screenshot of a web page, it saves it by default to the web.  How can I get it to save by default (for all the browsers) to my local DB?  I'm missing something or doing something in the settings, because I cannot find it anywhere.

• Level 5*
45 minutes ago, CWBillow said:

How can I get it to save by default (for all the browsers) to my local DB? 

Saving to the local DB is not an option.

No information as to why, but it does make things less complicated for the clipping process
- there is always a database on the server

• Level 5
42 minutes ago, CWBillow said:

I apologize if this has been answered and I am missing it somehow, but...

I just installed EN 6.13.14.7474 (I tried the latest version, but somehow it always crashed, so I went back...).  Then I added EN to IE, Firefox Quantum, and Chrome.

When I take a screenshot of a web page, it saves it by default to the web.  How can I get it to save by default (for all the browsers) to my local DB?  I'm missing something or doing something in the settings, because I cannot find it anywhere.

I'm a little unclear on your terminology, specifically "screenshot" and "local DB." I'm taking "screenshot" to mean "Web clipping" (by clicking the Evernote elephant icon on the browser's toolbar). I may be wrong; apologies if so.

The way that Evernote works overall is that it syncs from the master copy on its servers (visible in the Web interface) to your other devices (computer, tablet, phone, etc.). So if you clip something it will become a note in the notebook you designate. This note will be visible immediately on the Web (or at least as soon as you refresh the Web interface page). On your Windows computer, all you have to do is sync (F9 or click the Sync icon) and it will appear there too, in the Evernote database on that computer.

Now, if by "local DB" you mean that you are trying to clip to a "local notebook," then, as @DTLow says, you can't do that directly. Local notebooks are created as such by File > New Local Notebook, and by definition they are not synced to the master DB on Evernote's servers; they remain purely local to your computer. If that's what you want to do, it's a 2-step process: (1) take the clipping, which will sync as a new note to whatever notebook you designate; (2) in the Windows Evernote program, sync to be sure you've got the clipping in your designated notebook, and then drag that new note into the local notebook of your choice.

So then, if I am understanding, and, if what I just tried is the "default", then, if I take a web clip, and then sync it, the clip will be saved (copied) to the notebook I have selected or set as my default locally.  It also appears that any notebooks I set up locally are copied (along with their contents) to the web server(s) when I sync.

So then, what I clip locally is saved to my locally set default...What I clip on the web is saved on the web, and the two are constantly in tandem through syncing.

Yes?  If so, dunno why I didn't "get it" sooner, but I do now.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, CWBillow said:

It also appears that any notebooks I set up locally are copied (along with their contents) to the web server(s) when I sync.

Not if you set up a notebook as a Local notebook.  Those notebooks do not sync to the web.  Some use local notebooks as a place to store confidential information.  You do have to back up local notebooks since there is no sync of them.

• Level 5
2 hours ago, CWBillow said:

So then, if I am understanding, and, if what I just tried is the "default", then, if I take a web clip, and then sync it, the clip will be saved (copied) to the notebook I have selected or set as my default locally.  It also appears that any notebooks I set up locally are copied (along with their contents) to the web server(s) when I sync.

So then, what I clip locally is saved to my locally set default...What I clip on the web is saved on the web, and the two are constantly in tandem through syncing.

Yes?  If so, dunno why I didn't "get it" sooner, but I do now.

More or less, yes. You might check out this explanatory article. Just be careful using the term "local," since in the Evernote world it has a special sense, which may not be how you're using it. You can use Evernote on a Windows computer, an iPhone, and an Android tablet, and go to the library and use a public computer to access it on the Web without having any Evernote software installed there (not that I'd recommend doing that!). All of these will download notes from Evernote's central servers, creating copies of them on the particular device, and will upload any edits or new notes to the Evernote servers, so they can be retrieved from any other device you're using. That's the beauty of it.

Archived