Evernote for Mac 7.5 Beta 2

Rich Collyer

Hi Folks - 

Evernote for Mac 7.5 Beta 2 is now available. It has many bug fixes we've been queuing up after our re-brand. You can download the version here or check for updates (make sure you're opted into Betas.) 

Let us know if you have any feedback on this version or questions on the brand updates from 7.4. 

Thanks,

Rich and the rest of the Mac Team 

Version 7.5 Beta 2

Improvements:

* We’ve cleaned up the More Options menu (“…”) so it’s easier to find the actions you use most.

* To make upgrading effortless, we added a button to the toolbar. We promise it won’t bite, but don’t worry, you can always remove it if you’d prefer.

* Since we recently changed our appearance (does this color make our sidebar look big?), we tweaked our background colors to match.

Fixes:

* We fixed a problem where you wouldn’t see a note snippet if the note hadn’t synced properly.

* If you had more than one line of text highlighted when you tried to remove a link, all the links in the note would disappear. We’ll admit, that was taking things too far.

* Now and then, loading web views would cause a crash, but we fixed that.

* Occasionally, dragging a note from a space to the trash folder would cause the app to crash, but that’s no more.

* Sometimes, annotating a PDF would cause a crash, which was a big fail.

* The app would sometimes crash when checking for updates. Since updates are healthy, we put a stop to that.

* Pasting into a numbered or bulleted list would remove the list text between any images. This was less than ideal, but on the bright side, we fixed it.

* The app was forgetting your Shared with Me column widths after you closed it, which is probably not what you expected.

* Shared notebooks weren’t showing up in your Shared with Me list. And notebooks deserve love too.

* Triple-clicking one line of copy pasted in front of text on another line would break the list. But that’s a thing of the past.

* If you added Japanese characters to a bulleted list, the formatting would look weird, which was unfortunate.

* If you had 2-byte characters in a table (for example, Chinese or Japanese characters), adding a bullet point would break the table. And only WWF wrestlers should be allowed to break tables.

* Underlining couldn’t be removed from text in a table, which wasn’t helpful.

* Turning bold text off then pasting something into a list would turn bold back on. We really like bold, but that’s taking things too far.

* If you pasted bulleted lists separated by paragraphs from Word into Evernote, the gaps would disappear. You could say it was a big mess.

* Pasting data from Excel into Evernote needed a table upgrade, but there was no way for you to do it. That was an embarrassing oversight on our part.

* Pasting text into Evernote from a coding text editor messed up the formatting, but it should be smooth sailing now.

* Occasionally, changes you made to a note, including moving it to a different notebook, wouldn’t sync. Things should be back to normal now though.

17 minutes ago, soundsgoodtome said:

The green Share button is profoundly distracting.

Respectfully, it's just a button. Why must it be "illuminated," as if announcing something urgent? Why does that particular feature need to stand out more than others? What's wrong with gray?

How does one remove it?

There must be someone at EN who likes green buttons. I expect more of this useless cosmetic changes.

1 hour ago, Vincent Noel said:

Bugfixes are always welcome, and this update has lots, so thanks.

While I'm here, I'll just point out the below bug is still present... (and still annoying!)

Hey Vincent,

Thanks for pointing this out. Just wanted to let you know we're aware of this and a fix is on the way. It's taking longer than expected due to some other background work we're doing, but know that we're on it. 

Thanks. 

2 hours ago, soundsgoodtome said:

The green Share button is profoundly distracting.

Respectfully, it's just a button. Why must it be "illuminated," as if announcing something urgent? Why does that particular feature need to stand out more than others? What's wrong with gray?

How does one remove it?

Thanks for your feedback. I'll pass it along to our design team. In the meantime Evernote offers distraction free modes to get your work done, as you can hide the sidebar from the view menu, or open notes in fullscreen. 

2 hours ago, rgschmidt said:

Thanks, now we need two clicks for presentation, note details etc. 

Please tell me EVERNOTE, hoe many of your 225 million users did that request?

Thanks for the feedback. If you're looking for efficiency, try using ⌘ Return to enter presentation mode. We're working on creating more keyboard shorcuts for the items in the note detail overflow menu. Stay tuned. 

24 minutes ago, FabioFS said:

Hi, Folks!

After installing this beta 2, the "Save PDF to Evernote" on Mac just stopped to work... Anyone facing the same problem?

Thanks a lot,

Fabio

Hey, welcome to the forums!

Are you talking about the "Save PDF to Evernote" option in the Print to PDF menu? Mine shows as expected but wanted to confirm. 

Image%202018-09-05%20at%209.02.50%20AM.p

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, nicolml said:

Thanks for your feedback. I'll pass it along to our design team. In the meantime Evernote offers distraction free modes to get your work done, as you can hide the sidebar from the view menu, or open notes in fullscreen. 

I'm not as offended as others but it does seem like a strange UI decision - lots of users never share anything as I'm sure you know.

Having a distraction free mode shouldn't be an excuse to make arbitrary changes and having to open notes in full screen shouldn't be required to ensure a button that is never used isn't the brightest and shiniest thing on the screen.

4 hours ago, nicolml said:

Hey, welcome to the forums!

Are you talking about the "Save PDF to Evernote" option in the Print to PDF menu? Mine shows as expected but wanted to confirm. 

Image%202018-09-05%20at%209.02.50%20AM.p

Hi,

Yep!! The menu really appear to me... but it doesn't work... ?

1 hour ago, FabioFS said:

Hi,

Yep!! The menu really appear to me... but it doesn't work... ?

Feel free to DM me your activity logs so I can take a look. Also, let me know the time, date and name of the PDF you attempted to send to Evernote. Thanks! 

7 hours ago, nicolml said:

Did you investigate this before replying? Notes opened in fullscreen still have the bright, green Share button.

(Regardless, we shouldn't be forced to open notes in fullscreen, even in theory, just to remove gratuitous distractions. Apps should always stay out of the user's way.)

Sent a message through Beta Feedback on iOS but will also mention it here. I know that the template feature was released in this last beta. The menu item to Save as Template is there but it’s not doing anything. I have tried both on iOS and on Mac. Just curious if this is supposed to be working or if it’s still being implemented? @Rich Collyer @nicolml

• Level 5*
15 hours ago, nicolml said:

I decided to do a clean install and removed Evernote with AppCleaner.
I still have a Save PDF to Evernote; it's functional, but nothing stored
I installed Evernote; still no pdf saved
I can produce an Activity Log but it shows zip

8 hours ago, Sayre Ambrosio said:

Sent a message through Beta Feedback on iOS but will also mention it here. I know that the template feature was released in this last beta. The menu item to Save as Template is there but it’s not doing anything. I have tried both on iOS and on Mac. Just curious if this is supposed to be working or if it’s still being implemented? @Rich Collyer @nicolml

Hey there!
It's not working yet, but we will be turning this feature on service side in a few days, so you'll be able to use it soon. No update will be necessary, we're turning it on on our side. 

7 hours ago, DTLow said:

I decided to do a clean install and removed Evernote with AppCleaner.
I still have a Save PDF to Evernote; it's functional, but nothing stored
I installed Evernote; still no pdf saved
I can produce an Activity Log but it shows zip

Interesting. I still haven't been able to reproduce this issue. All I'm doing on my end is opening a PDF > Print > Save PDF To Evernote, which results in a new note landing in my default notebook with the PDF attached to it. Are you doing something differently?

I also tried having Evernote open, or closed and still get the same results regardless of the type of file or application I invoke save as PDF in Evernote. 
Thanks for your help. 

@DTLow and @FabioFS,
Thanks for your help with this. We found the source of the problem on our end. We have a ticket filed and will work on a fix. Try the steps below to restore functionality of the feature in the meantime. 

1. In the Finder, hold down Option key, open the Go menu, and choose Library
  2. Open the "PDF Services" folder in there (Create a new one if it doesn't exist)
  3. From the File menu, choose New Finder Window
  4. open the Go menu, and choose Applications
  5. Drag Evernote.app from Applications into the "PDF Services" folder while holding down Command and Option keys so that it will create an alias file (you'll see a curved arrow over the icon to indicate it will be an alias)
  6. Rename that alias file "Save PDF to Evernote"
  7. Now try to print something
  • Level 5*
56 minutes ago, nicolml said:

Try the steps below to restore functionality of the feature in the meantime. 

?  Problem solved
Thanks; I knew there was a simple solution - I was too lazy to figure out how it works

• Level 5*
On 9/5/2018 at 8:45 AM, nicolml said:

We're working on creating more keyboard shorcuts for the items in the note detail overflow menu.

Now if we can just get rid of the thing we'll be happy :) 

Seriously, though. What a huge waste of space. I understand it for smaller screens (and enjoy it on my laptop), but please let us turn it off for larger displays.

screenshot.png

• Level 5*
On 9/5/2018 at 9:34 PM, Sayre Ambrosio said:

Sent a message through Beta Feedback on iOS but will also mention it here. I know that the template feature was released in this last beta. The menu item to Save as Template is there but it’s not doing anything. I have tried both on iOS and on Mac. Just curious if this is supposed to be working or if it’s still being implemented?

This suddenly became live for me; I can save and use a template

On 9/6/2018 at 8:37 PM, chirmer said:

Now if we can just get rid of the thing we'll be happy :) 

Seriously, though. What a huge waste of space. I understand it for smaller screens (and enjoy it on my laptop), but please let us turn it off for larger displays.

screenshot.png

On 9/5/2018 at 11:58 AM, rgschmidt said:

Thanks, now we need two clicks for presentation, note details etc. 

Please tell me EVERNOTE, hoe many of your 225 million users did that request?

On 9/5/2018 at 7:20 PM, briztaker said:

As a product designer, I want to ask a simple question to design and devs team: why do you make "share" primary action in this case? Just wondering what percentage of users use this button?

Dear Evernote team,

All my feedback has already been given by other users. I already asked this for the last beta version: WHY??? The user experience for heavily used features is getting worse with each update. What is the meaning behind the new claim "focus on what matters most"? Do only business users matter? Are you planning to get rid of everthing behind the "..." menu, because those features obviously don't seem to matter?

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, CrispyCris said:

I've been holding my updates, so just wanted to confirm: is that "syncing non-stop" issue still live? 

I'm not seeing an issue on my Mac.
We lost all options on syncing timing, but I'm seeing no impact with the background sync activity.

On 9/7/2018 at 9:39 AM, DTLow said:

This suddenly became live for me; I can save and use a template

I can't remember if it was mentioned here, but one of the guys mentioned that they just had to turn it on and it would be live in a few days. I just checked and have been playing with it for the last hour lol.

21 hours ago, CrispyCris said:

Hi all,

I've been holding my updates, so just wanted to confirm: is that "syncing non-stop" issue still live? 

There are a few issues related to longer than usual syncing. I would recommend opening a ticket with customer support so they can get logs from you to confirm if you're running into this bug or not. 

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us

• Level 5*
29 minutes ago, pgdahl said:

I wish the new Template-function also saved tags, notebook, and the title. In fact, I am not sure I understand what the point is so long it doesn't save these things.

My intention is to save the original template note with its tags, notebook, title, attachments, ...

This feature has a use simply as stated, a template; nothing more.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, Jorge Ferreira said:

Headers for groups are still missing.

I'm not clear on what groups you're showing in your screenshot; you just have ?

edit: I only see group headers in snippet view; not even an option for list view1668680505_ScreenShot2018-09-11at17_40_23.png.b0c35822c43c721e30b9da331f0d4013.png

3 hours ago, Jorge Ferreira said:

The templates function is genius. Headers for groups are still missing. I've been reporting this issue since 7.0 

Hey there, 

Thanks for taking some time out of your day to report this. We're well aware of this problem and instead of slapping a fix on it, we decided to combine it with some more extensive work we're doing on the note list. Sorry grouping has been absent for a while, but it's coming back soon. 

10 minutes ago, nicolml said:

Hey there, 

Thanks for taking some time out of your day to report this. We're well aware of this problem and instead of slapping a fix on it, we decided to combine it with some more extensive work we're doing on the note list. Sorry grouping has been absent for a while, but it's coming back soon. 

Man. That’s great news. Thanks!  Hopefuly the fix comes soon. 

11 hours ago, luckman212 said:

I wasn't sure if this thread was being monitored for issues anymore, so I x-posted but adding here just to reference this bug I'm having w. EN 7.5 beta 2:

Strange. Can you try revoking access to all the devices you have signed into Evernote, and then see if the issue persists. You can revoke access in your account settings. 

• Level 5
On 9/12/2018 at 11:10 PM, nicolml said:

Can you try revoking access to all the devices you have signed into Evernote, and then see if the issue persists. You can revoke access in your account settings. 

Will I lose anything if I do that? Just want to make sure

14 minutes ago, luckman212 said:

Will I lose anything if I do that? Just want to make sure

Revoking access will only log you out, so you shouldn't lose anything. I always recommend to make sure all your content is synced first though. 

• Level 5*

I've identified a problem with lost attachments in the export/import process.

Support has replied that I'm using a beta version of the app so the issue should be addressed here.

• Level 5
1 hour ago, nicolml said:

Can you DM me your logs along with the details of what happened? Also please include the name of the note and the type of attachment in the note. 

The problem is the note does not exist anymore. It's literally referring to a note that is not in my account (local or web). So I can't send the note. There were no attachments, just text & images.  I'll DM you my logs but I am about to just wipe out my entire local EN folder and start over... 

• Level 5

@nicolml I went ahead and just deleted the following folders:

~/Library/Group Containers/Q79WDW8YH9.com.evernote.Evernote
~/Library/Application Support/com.evernote.Evernote
~/Library/Application Support/com.evernote.EvernoteHelper

After that, I restarted Evernote, signed back in and let it download everything. I have 9,200 notes so this is going to take a while... but, the good news is that annoying alert about the sync conflict is gone. Wish I knew what caused it or how to really fix it the right way but, ya know...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaAd8OuwwPk&feature=youtu.be&t=25

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, Sayre Ambrosio said:

but templates NEEDS a way to update templates without having to save the new one and then delete the old on. A repository where you can click them to see them all in the sidebar would be good too.

Personally I will continue with the process I've been using: template notes and a new-note script204811817_ScreenShot2018-09-14at20_56_28.png.b55bc014ed4442246124b8ef0939ef9f.png

My repository of template notes is identified by tag:!Type-Template.
I can easily put a shortcut in the sidebar.

42 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Personally I will continue with the process I've been using: template notes and a new-note script204811817_ScreenShot2018-09-14at20_56_28.png.b55bc014ed4442246124b8ef0939ef9f.png

My repository of template notes is identified by tag:!Type-Template.
I can easily put a shortcut in the sidebar.

One of these days I’m going to learn the super simple scripting you do. LOL. For those like me that don’t have time or don’t want to learn it they do need an edit feature though :)

On 9/15/2018 at 8:29 AM, Trozzel said:

Does it fix the issue on my Mac in which, since 7.4, my search results show 0 results. Really frustrating as I have to go on my iPad just to search and find my own notes.

-----

Let me answer that: "no". 

This might be unique to your database. Can you try reindexing it to see if you continue to have problems? 

Hold down option on your keyboard and go to Help > Troubleshooting. Select both indexing options (spotlight and text) and let it reindex your entire database. There's no indication of when it will be done, but I'd give it at least 20 minutes.

hace 1 hora, nicolml dijo:

This might be unique to your database. Can you try reindexing it to see if you continue to have problems? 

Hold down option on your keyboard and go to Help > Troubleshooting. Select both indexing options (spotlight and text) and let it reindex your entire database. There's no indication of when it will be done, but I'd give it at least 20 minutes.

Yes, Thank you guys. That was definitely the issue! 

On 9/8/2018 at 6:18 AM, Metrodon said:

Templates is a really nice and well implemented feature - ?

OK.. so I had templates briefly, but after updating to 7.5, it seems to have gone away.   I am flagged for beta in the preferences, but can't figure out why they disappeared.   ideas?

• Level 5*

Not sure if I should put a feature request here or not, but I'd like to request TIFF preview support. Currently they only show as icons, but as that's macOS's default format for screenshots, it'd be nice to support them in Evernote. Especially since they show in snippet view.

screenshot.png

43 minutes ago, chirmer said:

Not sure if I should put a feature request here or not, but I'd like to request TIFF preview support. Currently they only show as icons, but as that's macOS's default format for screenshots, it'd be nice to support them in Evernote. Especially since they show in snippet view.

screenshot.png

Thanks. I've filed a bug around this on your behalf :)

Whenever I open a note via Spotlight search, this build opens that note in a new window, despite the fact that I have the preference "Open note links from other applications in a new window" unticked. I've toggled the preference to no avail. Everything opens in a new window.

Even more perplexing is the fact that each time those notes open in a new window, they open with an old text search (that I executed, months ago), as if I had newly performed that search. To be clear: Every note, regardless of content, opens in a new window with an old text search already executed inside that note. 

This is truly, truly bizarre.

(EDIT: Later on the same day that I posted this, my Evernote notes stopped appearing in Spotlight searches all together. Since that's a separate issue, I've described it in a separate post.)

My Evernote notes no longer show up in Spotlight searches. Over the last 3 days, I've reindexed Spotlight twice, as well as rebuilding both indices via Evernote's hidden Troubleshooting menu (option-clicking the Help menu).

So far, the evidence seems to be pointing to v7.5 Beta 2 as having broken Spotlight-search support.

• Shane D. locked and unpinned this topic

Archived