2019 Calendar Templates Read more... ×

Idea

Hi All,

You may have noticed that all threads requesting Markdown support have been merged into this thread, regardless of platform specificity. 

This was done in order to better enable us to quantify and qualify user requests, and amplify their voice.

While this does not mean this is a feature that will be coming, we certainly want to relay user feedback/sentiment to our various teams.

Moving forward, please put all commentary and votes for Markdown support here!

I have been a Premium user for over 5 years, my entire life is in Evernote, and am on the verge of leaving the service because of the lack of this feature. It's becoming a deal-breaker for me. Markdown is the standard for most newer note taking apps. At the moment, I'm running three note taking apps concurrently: increasingly, I'm just using Evernote as a file and web clippings storage dump area, Google Keep (with a Markdown extension) for notes, lists and thoughts, and Ulysses (a Markdown writing tool) to develop notes into actual articles and books. This is SO irritating because I am constantly switching between three apps.

With Markdown support, I would be able to move entirely back to Evernote for all my note taking AND writing needs. Once again, it would become the most important app in my life.

Writing in Markdown lets me:

• Create proper structure to long and complex notes
  • Move from a rough thought, to research, to a full article, and even to a book, without worrying about formatting (I can focus on content)
  • Simply export and publish my writing to almost any publishing outlet (blogs, my actual print publisher... they all want Markdown!)

More and more, I'm asking myself why I'm paying so much money every year for Evernote when I could just use Google Drive for storage. You're already failing me for the actual notes-taking and writing parts. I know I'm not the only one who's thinking this.

Please guys: I love Evernote and I don't want to move my entire workflow over to a new system, but you are leaving me no choice.

• Like 7

Markdown support would be amazing. This makes Evernote a perfect companion to our development / coding environment.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Yes, please!! I would love a way to add well-styled mathematics into notes. A markdown language like 'Latex" would be perfect!! 

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, forLoop said:

Headings or nested tags shouldn't be even considered as a feature. They are pretty much essential part any editor

Most definitely a feature of word-processing editors; perhaps not so much a factor for Notes

>>So far your posts in this thread are not meant to help "new" users

In this thread, I've been trying to help users to use Markdown, since it's not offered by the Evernote editor

Yes Please! I love Evernote, but the lack of this feature has forced me to start using other tools. I would much prefer to keep everything in Evernote if they could add this feature.

• Like 3

@DTLow I don't think this feature would be an incredible amount of work and a lot of people like Evernote and pay for it, and like to simplicity of markdown for formatting. 

• Like 1

To evernote:  it is 2018, are you still not doing something about native markdown?

• Haha 2

I’ve recently switched to Bear just because off missing markdown in Evernote. And guess what... it works really well :) 

Bear doesn’t have multiple notebooks which I considered to be a big issue. But it happens to be less of a problem than missing markdown in Evernote! 

So I told Evernote „goodbye” after over 6 years! You guys wait and I use markdown already ;)

• Like 1

One of the attractive qualities of Evernote is its one-stop-shopping, everything-under-one-roof nature.  Invoking external apps to accomplish specialized tasks is a sensible and necessary division of labor, but one of Evernote's primary tasks is formatting text.  Markdown is a highly efficient way to format text.  Including it as an intrinsic editing mode would allow many users to better maintain their productive flow state when capturing information in Evernote.  I think that's a good justification for its inclusion.

• Like 1

Adding my 2 cents...

Dynalist (highly recommended!) has Markdown support and formatted view. Now there you can see the opposite discussion going on; people requesting a WYSIWYG editor instead.

The reason is that how Markdown looks is different from what it represents. That means that when you click into a note, the editor has to switch back to showing the Markdown view. All of a sudden the place where you clicked to make an edit, is no longer the correct place: all formatting is expanded, URLs are expanded, etc. 

That's why many Markdown editors have an editing pane and a preview pane.

So then we have people who want MD and a large portion of users who just want WYSIWYG. So you have to add a new setting because you don't want to confuse the majority of users who want to see bold as bold and not as **bold**

So it's not a trivial coding job.

To keep in mind too , in my idea, is that the beauty of Markdown is that you can write it anywhere. You don't need a program to "support" Markdown. You can type in your favorite Markdown dialect, paste the note in whatever MD tool you use, and there it is. MD is portable because it is software-independent. Nothing prevents us from typing in MD in Evernote.

1.jpg

2.jpg

• Like 1

On 18/11/2016 at 6:18 PM, DTLow said:

If markdown support is the most important feature for you, you should be looking at another product.
If purple highlighting is the most important feature for you, you should be looking at another product.
If .... (this list could go on and on)

In addition to whining, you can add your support to the feature requests using the voting buttons in the upper left corner of the discussion.  It will help indicate the request priorities

why are you always defending this out-of-date mediocre product in every feature request? are you getting paid to do this?

the reason people are still paying is probably because they have 1000+ notes like myself and it is a pain to migrate.

it is certainly not the cool product it once was. ios and mac platforms are not even in sync in terms of formatting features. 

people ARE giving feedback and voting it up, but no one cares. if they keep it up, soon they'll be in trouble I am telling you

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, DTLow said:

The software is free, no users are paying for it.
The majority of users subscribe to the Basic account, which is also free.

I have over 10,000 notes.  It's a 30 minute process to export my data.

>>why are you always defending this....

I'm not in to "Boohoo, Evernote's so bad" posts.  I'm more interested in posts on how to make this product work better for me.

Well i am paying, and they are constantly limiting free features, and maybe they should. but please also keep in mind that zoho notebook's is TOTALLY free. 

it takes 30 min to export, but where are you going to import them? are they going to be kept with the same format with the attachments? what about annotations? don't act coy please.

people are trying to suggest improvements, not just badmouthing, but you are replying to a feature request as if they are guilty of suggesting something new and evernote is perfect as is. the reason bear notes exploded and notion is on the verge of exploding is this. people are even using ulysses instead of evernote. 

• Like 1

Just now, Mike Assel said:

That’s the point of feature requests. 

To indicate your support for feature requests, use the voting buttons in the top left corner of the discussion.

22 minutes ago, DTLow said:

We can view the requests sorted by votes5ae4f1d4bd926_ScreenShot2018-04-28at15_10_50.png.4eed6f0ce5ebca6878681953c1057e4b.png

Yah, it was a rhetorical question ;)

5 hours ago, DTLow said:

The Evernote note editor/format is enml (html fork).  It's also not a useful format for my programming code files.

However we can use any external editor and store the files  in a note (attachment).
For plain text files, I use editor Textastic (Mac/iPad).  Sorry, it doesn't support MD, but I know there's alternative MD editors.

Good idea (also for eventual migration purposes in the future).

Now I use plain text files (.txt- or .md) and put them on my notes. Great, but there is one impractical aspect: Text files are displayed as attachments with no inline preview. I have to use my mouse to click the preview button to get a sneak peak of the contents, which bothers me. (using the Mac version)

Evernote could fix this easily: A simple inline-preview of plain-text files. An added benefit would be rendering support for Markdown-files. Editing happens externally, no problem.

2 hours ago, coff said:

So I told Evernote „goodbye” after over 6 years! You guys wait and I use markdown already ;)

Sayings come to mind.  Cutting off your nose to spite your face.  Throwing out the baby with the bathwater

A great feature in Evernote is that I can use any editor  I choose.  Notes can contain files of any format.

If I wanted to use Markdown, I'd select an editor that supports it.

36 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Sayings come to mind.  Cutting off your nose to spite your face.  Throwing out the baby with the bathwater

A great feature in Evernote is that I can use any editor  I choose.  Notes can contain files of any format.

I'd say I moved the baby to a fresh new bath and the baby is really enjoying it now :)

Also I've tried already two other editors working on Evernote's API - no luck with features I was looking for.

Activity on this thread proves that MD support is something that users would certainly appreciate and for me is strange Evernote doesn't want to please us with it. Though I'm software developer myself and I can understand they may have some reasons for it since otherwise they wouldn't ignore it this way. On the other hand if they do ignore us perhaps in it there's a hidden message for us saying "Guys, don't expect it anytime soon if ever". They won't tell us this just because they don't wanna see users leaving their ship. I've seen this pattern already for several other products. A great example is OpenVPN over UDP protocol support in Mikrotik's RouterOS which was promised to be there like eight years ago! Related forum threads are nearly flooded with "+1" posts and what?... nothing!

So my decision (as DTLow also suggested) is not to wait for it anymore and leave (is also my advice for you guys). There are good enough alternatives to try. Some support import/export from/to Evernote's ENEX files. Let's vote for this feature in Evernote with "-1" instead of "+1" ;)

Kind Regards,

Krzysztof Kubanek

- A PREMIUM USER - 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, coff said:

Activity on this thread proves that MD support is something that users would certainly appreciate and for me is strange Evernote doesn't want to please us with it.

Best guess that I have for its absence is that round-tripping markdown <--> ENML is not trivial. As far as I know, Marxico can't do it either. 

5 minutes ago, coff said:

So my decision (as DTLow also suggested) is not to wait for it anymore and leave (is also my advice for you guys).

That's a rational decision in my book, since Markdown is important to you. for many others of us, it just isn't what we come to use Evernote for. 

Cheers.

Markdown support would be great. I find myself using markdown more and more. I am now using Bear.app on Mac, iPhone and iPad and love the ease of Markdown editing. Bear's Markdown support and hashtag based filing has resulted in me turning to Bear to work on documents more often than Evernote.

• Like 1

Please support Markdown. and I am switching to "Bear" just for the markdown

• Like 1

On 11/18/2016 at 10:18 PM, DTLow said:

If markdown support is the most important feature for you, you should be looking at another product.
If purple highlighting is the most important feature for you, you should be looking at another product.

In addition to whining, you can add your support to the feature requests using the voting buttons in the upper left corner of the discussion.  It will help indicate the request priorities

I'm a paid user, I need markdown feature.

If you're not Evernote employee, no need to follow-up, your answers are ignorant and give negative feeling about Evernote.

• Like 1

I'm very unhappy with Evernote team. This key feature has been requested for years, you've been heard enough, you don't need more votes to start coding.

After years of being Evernote user, I've just cancelled my subscription and moved to Bear Pro. I vote with my money.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TungNguyen said:

I'm very unhappy with Evernote team. This key feature has been requested for years, you've been heard enough, you don't need more votes to start coding.

After years of being Evernote user, I've just cancelled my subscription and moved to Bear Pro. I vote with my money.

Good bye, Good Luck

"If you're not Evernote employee, no need to follow-up,
your answers are ignorant and give negative feeling about Evernote."

On 11/18/2016 at 4:18 PM, DTLow said:

You should have more respect for your customers. 

I will tweet Your comment to, hm I think a bout 1000 developers. If You ask them how they take notes, most will say MARKDOWN.

In stead of bashing to your customers Your team should better take notice the world is more then cut and past, and
taking notes for technicians, developers is mandatory and can barely done properly with Your approach due to the lack of Markdown support.
And those who do it, well good luck, but for sure you are not part of those who code for decades.

Besides is this the same ***** answer You will give to the request of a LOT of your customers to provide a NATIVE linux version of evernote ?

So in stead of telling your customers they are whining about asking something ESSENTIAL, move Your lazzy butt in your dev team and provide professional solutions.

This will suit your professional customers more then bashing them with poeha.

On 11/18/2016 at 4:18 PM, DTLow said:

DTLow, I am a senior IT, having about 30 years experience in the field as coder, sysadmin and so on.
I own several companies and did lead technical teams.

Ask 100 developers with +5 yrs experience how they take notes and 90 percent will tell you, they use markdown.

Telling people here in this thread, who do know what they are talking about, they are 'whining' and to move to another product,
because there is a crucial missing feature in evernote does not help here.

When there is a reasonable demand for a feature that is highly liked in the coding sector, You provide it. Simple.
Or this is NOT a professional note keeping solution at all.

Those who take most notes are developers, coders, analists, software designers etc.
And the common way to do it, is using markdown. Final.

Have some maturity. It is not because You are 'Super Guru', you currently reach the skill sets of some
who post here. To say they are 'whining' is pretty rude, and Your arguments have no weight in this debate.

The lack of markdown is a very serious lack in the evernote product including a full multiplatform solution.
For years the community did request a Linux version as well.

Will you say they are 'whining' too ? 

I will tweet Your answer to show to a few K developers. So they can see the Evernote Super Guru attitude.
And they better stay away from this product.

On 6/6/2018 at 9:28 PM, DTLow said:

This arguments is an example of something that holds no ground. Evernote is partly an editor.

Evernote claims to be a note keeping solution. If the customer wants markdown, You provide markdown in the evernote editor. Simple.

Coders need a better way to take notes and this can not be done properly with the current software.

• Like 1

On 8/8/2018 at 12:52 AM, nfernandes said:

After playing around with Dropbox Paper for a bit, I've officially started my migration from Evernote. Markdown support is great, and you can even create templates to quickly make notes from. 

I really would have loved to continue using Evernote, but the extra storage space is the only benefit I'm getting after upgrading to Plus. A lack of useful features, consistent bugs, and general bulkiness have finally turned me off.

Sorry but there seems to be no Markdown support in Dropbox Paper or provide a link of the docs.
Currently our team is using the editor 'Remarkable' in combo with cloud storage.

1 minute ago, DTLow said:

You're posting in a user discussion forum. 
You are  user; I'm a user.

Evernote employees pop in ocassionally.  The are clearly identified in the sidebar.

ok fair. but your comments are still bashing the customers with pro skills here.

A feature such as 'markdown' is not the same as to say, I want the background of evernote to be 'purple'

Markdown is a lightweight markup language with plain text formatting syntax. It is designed so that it can be converted to HTML and many other formats using a tool by the same name.[8] Markdown is often used to format readme files, for writing messages in online discussion forums, and to create rich text using a plain text editor. As the initial description of Markdown contained ambiguities and unanswered questions, many implementations and extensions of Markdown appeared over the years to answer these issues. John Gruber created the Markdown language in 2004 in collaboration with Aaron Swartz on the syntax,[2][3] with the goal of enabling people "to write using an easy-to-read, easy-to-write plain text format, and optionally convert it to structurally valid XHTML (or HTML)". In March 2016 RFC 7763 and RFC 7764 were published. RFC 7763 introduced MIME type text/markdown with the original variant. RFC 7764 discusses and registered the variants MultiMarkdown, GitHub Flavored Markdown (GFM), Pandoc, CommonMark, and Markdown Extra among others. ref: wikipedia

This is mandatory option for many technicians, coders, etc.

On 8/28/2018 at 1:08 PM, Shane D. said:

Hi All,

You may have noticed that all threads requesting Markdown support have been merged into this thread, regardless of platform specificity. 

This was done in order to better enable us to quantify and qualify user requests, and amplify their voice.

While this does not mean this is a feature that will be coming, we certainly want to relay user feedback/sentiment to our various teams.

Moving forward, please put all commentary and votes for Markdown support here!

Your competitor, Bear Notes, supports Markdown. Unfortunately for me, they are only IOS and I do not have an IOS devices. Otherwise, I would have migrated all my notes to Bear. 
Your application, Evernote, is useful and I have included it in my workflow, but as a developer its a hindrance to not be able to format my code well when jotting down various solutions. 
"While this does not mean this is a feature that will be coming..."
To be frank, if you dont want to lose customers, this should be a when instead of an if. 
If Bear ever moves to Android/Windows, youll lose a lot of customers over this missing feature. 

If you like/want this feature, make sure to upvote it in the upper left-hand corner of the thread!

A note application that does not support markdown does not make sense for me..

• Like 1

Lack of Markdown was one of the key reasons why I migrated away from Evernote.

• Like 1

I'm thinking the same. People have been asking for Markdown support for some time now and Evernote just simply ignore it or fob people off with 3rd party solutions that add extra work and effort. Very poor show.

• Like 1

I have tried to abandon evernote in favor of Quiver, just because it has markdown. I've transitioned just about all of my professional work over to it in fact, but the lack of mobile / windows syncing is the major factor preventing me from switching entirely.

Anyone know _why_ Evernote is dragging their feet so much on markdown? It's not a super complicated spec. Hell, even a kludge like the Markdown Here plugin that does a quick processing step on your notes and renders your Markdown to evernote compatible html would be an advantage over what we currently have.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jswanson said:

Anyone know _why_ Evernote is dragging their feet so much on markdown?

I'm just assuming its a question of priorities.
You can add your support using the voting buttons in the upper left corner of the discussion

fwiw  There are many requests for new features, some of them also indicating how easy it would be to implement

4 hours ago, jswanson said:

Anyone know _why_ Evernote is dragging their feet so much on markdown? It's not a super complicated spec. Hell, even a kludge like the Markdown Here plugin that does a quick processing step on your notes and renders your Markdown to evernote compatible html would be an advantage over what we currently have.

At a guess, full Markdown support would be a pain: round-tripping between Markdown and HTML (more or less Evernote's internal format) is not well-defined. Providing a way to input via Markdown is probably helpful, but rendering a page that comes from an arbitrary web clipping into would probably not be a great user experience (I've seen this in action in the Atlassian Wiki product; drove me absolutely crazy).

Note that Evernote have never said anything about its feasibility, or even whether they'll ever provide it. They rarely do. If it's critical for your use case, then it's pretty much a no-go; always choose the tools that exist, not the ones that you want to exist.

Markdown input is absolutely necessary for notetaking! They usage of hierarchical headings is very convenient in markdown. I can't understand why Evernote still not even provides paragraph/heading styles.

Absolutely need it.

Have a look at Marxico - everything I need is there. Tables, Latex, Flow diagrams..

• Like 2

On 08/12/2016 at 8:55 AM, jefito said:

At a guess, full Markdown support would be a pain: round-tripping between Markdown and HTML (more or less Evernote's internal format) is not well-defined. Providing a way to input via Markdown is probably helpful, but rendering a page that comes from an arbitrary web clipping into would probably not be a great user experience (I've seen this in action in the Atlassian Wiki product; drove me absolutely crazy)

But that would be still easier and nicer than how ti is right now, wouldn't it?

16 hours ago, DDO said:

But that would be still easier and nicer than how ti is right now, wouldn't it?

Maybe, but that's not what the original poster asked for as far as I can tell, nor what I replied to. 

On 16/01/2017 at 11:31 AM, jefito said:

Maybe, but that's not what the original poster asked for as far as I can tell, nor what I replied to. 

There are ways to make it painless. Check out Marxico or Bear Notes.

8 hours ago, DDO said:

Marxico

As far as I can tell, Marxico doesn't really support round-tripping MarkDown <--> Evernote. Once it's in Evernote, and you make changes there, then getting Markdown back can be problematic, since Evernote can use pretty full HTML. If it works for you, then that's great (or or if I'm not understanding their web site then please correct me), but let's be careful about turning this into something that it's not.

15 hours ago, jefito said:

As far as I can tell, Marxico doesn't really support round-tripping MarkDown <--> Evernote. Once it's in Evernote, and you make changes there, then getting Markdown back can be problematic, since Evernote can use pretty full HTML. If it works for you, then that's great (or or if I'm not understanding their web site then please correct me), but let's be careful about turning this into something that it's not.

Round trip is supported. The catch is, however, that one can not edit Marxico notes in Evernote. They are read only. But they are marked as Marxico, and you can open them up and edit in either web based marxico or in the standalone app.

Check yourself - trial is 10 days. Love it - Flowcharts, Seq diagrams LaTeX - the whole nine yards of goodies.

7 hours ago, Doff said:

Round trip is supported.

This puzzles me. Round-tripping to me means that I can start a note in Marxico, edit in Evernote, and be able to continue in Marxico again and be able to pick up in Evernote, all without losing content. According to the Marxico site:

Quick Editing

Note saved by Marxico in Evernote would have a red ribbon button on the top-right corner. Click it and it would bring you back to Marxico to edit the note.

Note: Currently Marxico is unable to detect and merge any modifications in Evernote by user. Please go back to Marxico to edit.

If this is true, then round-tripping is not supported by Marxico. Once you add content to Evernote using Marxico, you need to always then use Marxico to edit that content. Which is swell, except that I edit notes on my mobile devices as well.

Definitely worth looking at Gitbook. It doesn't solve the problem and depending on how you use Evernote you'll get differing milage out of it, but personally I'm finding I use it more than Evernote now, mainly due to Evernote's crappy text editor.

• Like 2

On 25/01/2017 at 0:11 AM, DTLow said:

Evernote's editor definitely has a limited featureset

If you need more extensive features, I'd also recommend using a different editor, but within Evernote.  Any document file can be attached to a note

Indeed.

Evernote should buy out Marxico and make it Advanced Mode editor.

That will not only smash the competition (BearNotes, etc), but would also make a viable case for "Evernote as the Wiki". I would definitely consider switching my team to Evernote Wiki (with markdown) full on.

On 26/01/2017 at 6:18 PM, Matt Corr said:

Please add Markdown support! ALso syntax highlighting for code blocks!

Actually yes. I believe modern Markdown editors do support syntax highlighting in form of 

```xml
<hello>world</hello>
```

It is ironic that Evernote _FORUM_ does support syntax highlighting and advanced editing features such as code blocks, but the product that pays for the forum - does not.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2017 at 10:01 PM, Doff said:

It is ironic that Evernote _FORUM_ does support syntax highlighting and advanced editing features such as code blocks, but the product that pays for the forum - does not.

This is exactly it. Most of the time when I type anywhere else I have access to these features, but with Evernote there is none of that. They just don't seem to be interested in improving the editor. Marxico is fine, but it's not well integrated and it's an additional cost for something that should have been included a long time ago. I honestly can't remember the last useful feature added to Evernote.

• Like 3

I really can't believe how many years have passed without supporting Markdown.

For what it is worth, I am now using Atom.io with the Ever Notedown package. Although it is a little wonky at times, it is the best I have seen so far.

• Like 1

Using Marxico still. Searching for Evernote replacement. As soon as I find one - I am off (well, unless Evernote comes around with Markdown and LaTeX support).

P.S. Checked out Laverna App - great promise! If they pull it off, that would be a killing app for Enterprise use.

Would love to see this. I used to use Marxico, but I don't really want to pay for it as well (tight wallet). I'm a massive fan of markdown, and would love to see this.

I actually use Drafts 4 to create notes on my iPad, and it has options to export the markdown render to EN. It's great, and I love it. Bullet points come out right, todos come out right, it just works.

However, EN for Windows becomes a problem. Whilst my iPad is my daily workhorse, I find that I use EN for Windows quite a bit still. Markdown is a must have.

• Like 1

This feature is crucial. I almost quit Evernote before my renewal yesterday, but decided to stick around for one more year to see if native Markdown support comes to fruition.

Marxico and other workaround tools are pretty incredible, but there's something about native integration that makes for a better workflow.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Good day, everyone.

In the last few month this issue has been taken to be one of the top three.

I perfectly realise that given the history there is little hope that Evernote will listen or act.

Nevertheless I would like to try. Do you think you could help out by spreading the word? I would like to see this feature request to be the top one for the next stage and I think it is possible. We got it from just 36 votes (that's when I joined in) to 114 today - it should be possible to get half of that amount if we all try to get someone else to vote.

Then there will be the next action - but I will come back on that one.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Doff said:

Do you think you could help out by spreading the word?

I doubt an increase in the vote count will have any impact on Evernote's priorities.

This request is on EN's radar and it's up to them if they implement it.

My suggestion is to use a workaround until we see this implemented in the EN editor

As a long-time Evernote user - this is the missing feature that is most important to me. I love the other features of Evernote, but I'm finding myself taking fewer notes in this app over time due to this missing capability.  Apps like Quiver are what I'm looking for - full Markdown support with preview.  I should also be able to export these notes as Markdown files or Docx files with the proper formatting; no divs!

Please make this happen...

• Like 1

Totally agree, Evernote is fantastic but lack of markdown support hurts, I doubt I'll renew, seems I check evernote out every couple years then leave out of frustration and eventually come back to just leave again lol.  This is the main feature that drives that

• Like 1

On 17/03/2017 at 9:17 PM, ayapejian said:

Totally agree, Evernote is fantastic but lack of markdown support hurts, I doubt I'll renew, seems I check evernote out every couple years then leave out of frustration and eventually come back to just leave again lol.  This is the main feature that drives that

If you are on macOS or iOS maybe you should try Bear Pro 

bear-writer.com

If Evernote borrowed some of the UX of Quip for introducing Markdown. It would be game over, I would stop search for and testing other apps because then, Evernote would have  taken that crown. 

• Like 1

Dear Devs in Evernote.

Evernote is the best note taking app out there hands down. But for anybody working in development one big issue is missing markdown support. Nowadays Markdown is:

• a standard,
  • a convenient, fast and reliable method to write tech docs

That's why any developer I know, including myself, is using some additional Markdown editor trying desperately to fit it somehow into Evernote workflow.

There is plethora of such tools:

• Atom
  • iA Writer
  • Bear Writer
  • Byword
  • Day One
  • Markdown Pro
  • Marxico
  • Quiver
  • Ulysses
  • etc.

Which means that there are libraries if not the whole ready to plug-in text editors supporting markdown. All the above applications are great for note taking in markdown, writing tech documents, essays or even books. However they don't integrate with Evernote at all (with exception of Atom and Marxico) and they all lack (to a different degree):

• powerful image support not to mention stellar Evernote OCR
  • advanced Evernote search
  • easiness of sharing notes in Evernote
  • Evernote notebook feature

Please put some pressure on the product managers to prioritize this feature.  Integrate Markdown editor into Evernote to make great product even better.

• Like 4

I think it's pretty clear now that either management don't see any need for Markdown support, that the underlying (legacy) code is resistant to it being added, or the developers don't have the necessary skills to add it (or a combination of the above). I remember reading that Markdown was in the process of being added, but that was years ago and must have been abandoned. I'm afraid it looks like it's just a matter of waiting for something better to come along. I have pushed all my long-form notes to Gitbook and really just use Evernote for small fragments. I would suggest anyone that hasn't looked at Gitbook to give it a go. It is solid and (unlike Evernote) is constantly being improved.

Markdown is a great way of formatting text as it was intended to be convertable into HTML and yet be easy to read. It makes note taking a lot more fluid as you don't have to move a mouse to format.

Evernote already has the "---" markdown for horizontal rules. So I don't think it would be too hard to implement "*" for italics and "_" for bold. Also, "-" for bullet lists should be easy to do as well since there is the option to use "*" for bullet lists. However this clash would mean that it would have to be specified whether or not markdown is to be used when making the note.

I would use Evernote a lot more if there was support for markdown as it would mean note-taking on my mobile would be a whole lot easier.

• Like 2

On 9/18/2016 at 7:13 AM, lrainaldi said:

I feel on the biggest missing features is native support for Markdown. Please add native Markdown to Evernote.

For me, Evernote is a perfect daily companion except for the fact that I can't do LaTeX.

Right now, I am planning to rely on Dropbox Paper Web version for my math notes. But, I am not satisfied with it either as it is not a replacement or intended for creating notes to store like Evernote.

Even if they can't support all kind of markdown, at least I wish for LaTeX editing like on Dropbox Paper on the web. The main feature of LaTeX Evernote should support is ability to go back and edit the LaTeX instead of deleting the whole math image and rewriting the code block again, in a convenient way.

I believe a lot of Evernote users dealing with math daily in their life would appreciate it very much! I am hoping for the integration in the near future soon.

I do code in my free time too. So, integration of code editing as an edit and read only special file note like how PDF editing works would be a big plus.

• Like 2

Oh yeah. LaTeX in Evernote is a sweet dream.

Here is the idea - this feature request is number one.

I was thinking to raise a support request, something along the line - please implement.

Thoughts?

The lack of markdown has made me leave Evernote a few times the past years. But I always came back. And every time after a few months I see a different tool that does support MD and then I leave again...

So +1 for me!

I agree. I think Markdown support would be useful. It should also be possible to export these notes as .md files so that they can be used in other use cases like pushing a repository to Github.

It would be also be great to automatically update the UI when typing a "- " with a bullet. This happens in other applications like Dropbox Paper where you can automatically get bullets added by typing. Instead of selecting the bullet option in the toolbar.

On 2017-05-26 at 2:34 PM, henchmanjustin said:

Just any way to represent mathematical notation is what I want.

Not supported by the Evernote Note editor.  

I use Pages (Mac/IOS) and theres support for LaTeX and MathML.  The documents work well as attachments to notes

Still no Markdown support?

giphy-downsized.gif

I am waiting for this feature for years right now and today I looked again when this feature will be there but still no sign. It has the most votes, please make it finally happen soon. At the moment there is no real competitor that has this feature but when there is a lot of people will move I think. I don't want to move because I like Evernote but it's hard and I thought about moving multiple times. Make Evernote super duper awesome with Markdown

200w_d.gif

• Like 2

I agree with this, until now I write my notes in Atom with markdown and after I copy it in evernote, but I can do it only in my notebook, when I use other pc i can't. Please markdown for web browser :'(

I would switch to paid Bear if they had their own server for syncing things, I don't like the fact that my notes could be using space in my iCloud account. 

Do you know another app that would do markdown and have also this idea from Evernote that you can upload things using an monthly quota?

On 12/06/2017 at 10:18 AM, heyKuchen said:

I would switch to paid Bear if they had their own server for syncing things, I don't like the fact that my notes could be using space in my iCloud account. 

Do you know another app that would do markdown and have also this idea from Evernote that you can upload things using an monthly quota?

There is also Dropbox Paper.. but there is no native app yet and their development efforts are a bit slow.

I guess it comes down to personal preferences and wants/needs. I personally have no issue with them using my iCloud account and have always found the idea of a monthly quota "odd". If I am paying for a service, I would expect to be able to use it as much or as little as I like.

Wasn't there another app that worked over the top of Evernote to provide markdown support? Could that be an option?

hace 1 minuto, Matt Corr dijo:

There is also Dropbox Paper.. but there is no native app yet and their development efforts are a bit slow.

I guess it comes down to personal preferences and wants/needs. I personally have no issue with them using my iCloud account and have always found the idea of a monthly quota "odd". If I am paying for a service, I would expect to be able to use it as much or as little as I like.

Wasn't there another app that worked over the top of Evernote to provide markdown support? Could that be an option?

The monthly quota is a great idea because you can upload any file you want an the next month you get your quota reset. You don't have to complicate over time deleting stuff for keeping your plan cheap.

There's an app that supports sort of markdown on top of Evernote: "Alternote" but its paid and they haven't updated it in a while.