Notes from two notebooks out of several notebooks

Say, I have several notebooks out of which two are: School and Supplemental. I want to see, in the middle pane, all the notes from only these two notebooks together. Is there a way without adding a tag for all of the notes in these notebooks. Any saved search will also do. 

I want to keep the number of tags as minimum as possible. 

I am using EN on Windows 7, 10 and Android.

Thanks in advance.

For other search terms you could use "any:" to get an OR of two search criteria, but unfortunately, per the search grammar (https://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/search_grammar.php), you cannot use that for notebooks:

The notebook is not included in the "union" created by the "any:" operator.

This may not fit in with your current organizational scheme, but if you can put the two notebooks into one stack you can then search all notebooks in the stack with "stack:name-of-stack" which would do what you're looking for.

Hope this helps!

-- Tom

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, Atul Mishra said:

Say, I have several notebooks out of which two are: School and Supplemental. I want to see, in the middle pane, all the notes from only these two notebooks together. Is there a way without adding a tag for all of the notes in these notebooks. Any saved search will also do. 

I want to keep the number of tags as minimum as possible. 

To amplify on what @tkraikit said,  and to your comment on tags, in general, tags are the easiest way in Evernote to categorize notes that belong to different notebooks. Yes, you can do the stack thing, stacks are clumsy, and they don't scale very well. Tags are easy;  and they cut across notebook boundaries, and they're much more flexible with respect to search: you can combine them in the search language (you can do AND searches with tags, or OR searches, though unfortunately not both in the same search), and you can also use wildcards with tags searches. (e.g. tag:abc*). Tags are usually my first stop for solving this sort of problem. I do understand the desire to keep your tag set to a minimum, but sometimes needs must.

OK, so there's a third way, which is to use note links to tie the notes together. You could have another note that has a note link to each of the notes you want to associate, or have each of them contain a note link to the other, so that if you find one, you can find the other.

Archived