Bloated With Notes

In the 7 years I've been using Evernote my usage has shifted several times. I know find myself with an Evernote too large & bloated to be useful. 

I've been pondering about closing this account and opening a new one. Or wondering if there is a archive feature -- over the years I've archived groups of notes in an attempt to tame, and render that clean slate

Any thoughts?

• Level 5*

Evernote has no specific archive feature.

Personally, I have over 12k notes; the majority are never looked at.
This is not causing me any problems.

My default sequence is update order.
I only see my current notes.

There are archive work-arounds.  I assign a tag (!Archive) to notes
By using -!Archive in searches these notes are excluded from view.

• Level 5*
21 hours ago, daniel lukas said:

In the 7 years I've been using Evernote my usage has shifted several times. I know find myself with an Evernote too large & bloated to be useful. 

I've been pondering about closing this account and opening a new one. Or wondering if there is a archive feature -- over the years I've archived groups of notes in an attempt to tame, and render that clean slate

Any thoughts?

If you really don't need to see the notes that often, you can create a new Basic EN account and export/import notes to that account.  Since you are a Premium subscriber it is easy enough to access the archive account using the Add another user option in the File menu.  I've moved about 6000 notes to a Basic account across the years, mostly old project stuff that I access rarely.  FWIW.

• Level 5*

I'm currently at 42,000+ notes and holding...  the new notes I'm adding seem to roughly balance out the old ones I delete in daily curation.  My searches turn up some notes that have been around for a while,  and others that were only ever reminders for things that have now happened and been recorded elsewhere.  I'll cull (and re-title or re-tag) whatever seems necessary to keep my searches reasonably tidy.  The natural wastage is pretty much offsetting my clips and other additions. 

I don't see that any major speed gains would come from spending an hour,  or a day navel gazing.  I'd rather spend my time doing.

• Level 5*
On 8/29/2018 at 5:56 PM, daniel lukas said:

I know find myself with an Evernote too large & bloated to be useful. 

1 hour ago, gazumped said:

I'm currently at 42,000+ notes and holding

The OP complained about "too large & bloated", with no details.
I'm wondering if your 42,000+ causes actual issues; things like response time.

At what point does Evernote start failing?
I know users have complained about physical disk requirements but I have lots of space available (Mac and iPad)

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, DTLow said:

At what point does Evernote start failing?

Exactly how are you defining 'failing' here...  like everyone else I'm finding that Evernote operates a lot like a Citroen 2CV.  It gets me where I want to go,  but 'comfort' and 'style' are not the words I'd usually want to use for my journey.  ("Full of character" would certainly work... :P)

I'm finding that there are periods where Evernote will space out - my disk usage maxes out (with Evernote being the culprit) and everything stops for a period... but whether I need to rebuild or repair something will have to wait until I have the time to worry about it.  (Busy,  busy...) 

I also have Windows 10 v1803 updates to contend with - they're stalking me at the moment.  When things quiet down me 'n Evernote Support will be having some conversations...  but meantime,  I'm getting the job done - eventually...

• Level 5*
13 hours ago, CalS said:

Gaz, when did this start?  I thought you were almost as lazy as I.  ?

LOL - I'm lazier,  and I have a bad leg.  It's just part of searching for anything - in the nature of all searches in Big Data(bases) there are always false-hit clips or reminders that aren't relevant.  In the interests of an easier life in future I'll (usually) re-title,  tag or delete the whole thing.  Unless it's a Friday.  In which case all bets are off.

Archived