Merge Penultimate and Evernote

gtranchedone

Penultimate is such a great app (besides bugs when cutting and moving drawings around) but at this point having it as a separate app makes little sense. With Apple’s and third-party pencils, hand-writing is super-simple.

My vision for a merge is the following:

• Discontinue Prenultimate as a separate product.
  • Add a button to Evernote for iOS and Android to attach a hand-drawing item to a note. Item added this way are previewed like Penultimate notes are, and can only be edited in mobile apps using the same tool.
  • The hand-drawing tool is the core of the current Penultimate: a multi page document editor that allows you to hand write anything and has some basic features like paper type, undo/redo, cut and move, zoom-in, and follow pen (all already in Penultimate).

Benefits:

• Notes aren’t forced to be viewed as belonging to a Notebook
  • Notes don’t need to be ‘read-only’ anymore, allowing for greater flexibility
  • Any note can have hand-written content
  • Evernote Corp. won’t have to maintain two products, but can keep current teams
  • Level 5*

I never understood the appeal of Penultimate.  
I'm using a much better product, and I store the documents as an attachment to a note.  Any note; any notebook.  Edit: Notabilty on an iPad

My preference is that Evernote focus on their core and not diverge into merging these third party products.
The third parties do a much better developing their products.

My issue with keeping those products separate is the link back from Evernote to the app is non-existent.  My handwritten notes can be updated a lot during a sale, and once organised by Evernote they become much harder to find in Penultimate.  I’d be happy if you click on a note in Evernote and it opens it in Penultimate (or Noteshelf, for example).  Otherwise just fix Sketch within Evernote to have multi page from within Sketch.  At the moment it’s a UX mess, which ever way you look at it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It’s not rocket silence to convert the sketch option into a writing based solution. They just need to add more to the core in terms of handwriting recognition. They can easily add writing templates and allow EN to offer Penultimate level writing via Apple Pencil without having to be forced to go out of the Evernote ecosystem. I have never understood why they just dont update sketch to be a writing tool. The same way they integrated Skitch can be applied to EN and a proper Apple Pencil writing feature. I shouldn’t have to export my hand writing meeting notes to EN every time every day simply because the Sketch Feature is unless. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/28/2018 at 7:39 PM, DTLow said:

I never understood the appeal of Penultimate.  
I'm using a much better product, and I store the documents as an attachment to a note.  Any note; any notebook.

What product is that? I'm struggling with the limitations of Penultimate (No built-in Pencil support for 1-finger scrolling, lasso tool not selecting everything, organization), and would love to have another tool that easily syncs to Evernote.

• Level 5*
On 11/8/2018 at 8:42 AM, Ryan Schuetzler said:

What product is that? I'm struggling with the limitations of Penultimate (No built-in Pencil support for 1-finger scrolling, lasso tool not selecting everything, organization), and would love to have another tool that easily syncs to Evernote.

It would have been smart to include app examples.

I use Notability on an iPad.  GoodNotes also works well
The documents are shared to Evernote for storage.

Archived