Spotlight not reindexing

Hello,

Im running High Sierra, the Newest Direct Download. I've tried the option click to open the troubleshooting in help and none of the options are actually firing. It'll give me a warning that it might take some time but it isn't actually reindexing? The application and all notes are missing from Spotlight. Ive tried to add it to the privacy list and then taking back off (which has worked in the past) is not working. Is there a fix coming?

Thanks,

Blake 

• 4 weeks later...

I first started getting this problem many years ago.  It seems to come back from time to time.  I am amazed and frustrated that this core functionality is still very fragile.  The reason I am here replying is that my spotlight indexing has stopped working again after being OK (but not great) for a few years.  Sorry to see that there is no snappy response nearly a month after your question. I suggest that you look back through the archives for tips. That's what I am about to do.

On 8/27/2018 at 3:13 PM, Blake D said:

Hello,

Im running High Sierra, the Newest Direct Download. I've tried the option click to open the troubleshooting in help and none of the options are actually firing. It'll give me a warning that it might take some time but it isn't actually reindexing? The application and all notes are missing from Spotlight. Ive tried to add it to the privacy list and then taking back off (which has worked in the past) is not working. Is there a fix coming?

Thanks,

Blake 

If the Evernote application itself is not being shown in Spotlight, that could be a Spotlight issue. Note indexing for Spotlight is done by a program within Evernote that has to make your notes readable by Spotlight...but that would not affect the ability to find the application itself.

FWIW, I'm having the note indexing problem on 4 Macs (all Mojave) that seem to point back to the EvernoteSpotlightImporter bundle. Specifically, a code signature error is thrown by Spotlight's mdimport when trying to access EvernoteSpotlightImporter.

I'm going to email support to see what might be up. I've removed and reinstalled the application, and reset Spotlight indexing on MacOS as well as reindexing within Evernote.

• 2 weeks later...

There is an issue with indexing. I have tried all the possible fixes without luck - wasted so much time. There is an error in Evernote's code as is usual with every update.

Evernote just gets worse and worse. So many bugs on every release, no attention to detail, unhelpful support, stupid new UI updates without fixing glaring problems. It's a shame it's so hard to move to other software. I've downloaded Notion app and am now trying it alongside Evernote.

Response from "support" after a few days:

After speaking with our technical support team about this issue, they advised that our development team is already aware of the problem and working on its resolution. We’re working on a fix that should be in an upcoming release, however there’s not an estimated date on when it will be available. I know this can be frustrating, especially if Evernote isn’t making a positive impact on your workflow and do apologize for the inconvenience.

If you have any further questions, please let me know. Thank you for your time and patience.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/8/2018 at 4:12 PM, JoeBloggs said:

After speaking with our technical support team about this issue, they advised that our development team is already aware of the problem and working on its resolution. We’re working on a fix that should be in an upcoming release, however there’s not an estimated date on when it will be available. I know this can be frustrating, especially if Evernote isn’t making a positive impact on your workflow and do apologize for the inconvenience.

If you have any further questions, please let me know. Thank you for your time and patience.

That was the response I got, so on the one hand I'm glad they are apparently aware of it. On the other, I'm unhappy they broke it.

I'm not going to disagree with any of the things you said, but man, despite those issues it is STILL hard to find a viable 100% replacement for Evernote. Lots of apps do some things better, but then don't do other things at all (or do them worse). Because I use virtually all of EN's functionality, it's been a real struggle to find a way off of it.

I'm using Notion as well. It's pretty awesome so far, especially if one your goals is to make well-formatted pages easily. I've migrated a huge chunk of my EN notes over, and I should be done before m EN subscription expires. I like it much better than OneNote or even Bear, Notion is still a long way from feature parity with EN, unfortunately.

• 1 month later...

I love Evernote and struggle to imagine note taking without it. After a year of Premium I've gone back to Basic due to disappointing support, however. While front line are helpful, all they are allowed to come back with is 'engineering know about this and may or might fix it at some point in the future'.

Spotlight indexing is one of the most important features of whole entire thing. You really really don't need to advertise dark mode. If I can't search my one thousand notes, it doesn't matter whether it's in dark or not. This is a big deal, Evernote is suddenly half as productive tool for me. I might as well go to text files, that will be Spotlight indexed.

I understand executives need upward pointing hockey stick graphs, and those don't come out of 'maintenance and bug fixing' but out of new shiny features. However if Spotlight breaks, Evernote on Mac is ruined, and executives should be all over that. If Premium tickets only get you a vague confirmation without timescales, tell people some other way what is going on. Use the forums (I'm sorry if I'm missing a thread, I didn't search very extensively). I can understand if Apple are messing things up for you guys, and would so much rather be told than left largely without information.

On 12/2/2018 at 8:14 AM, larrycz said:

I love Evernote and struggle to imagine note taking without it. After a year of Premium I've gone back to Basic due to disappointing support, however. While front line are helpful, all they are allowed to come back with is 'engineering know about this and may or might fix it at some point in the future'.

Yeah, I've dropped back to a basic user as well, after being a paid EN user since release. I'm tired of updates that make things worse, and the utter lack of improvement in core functionality (e.g. the actual note editor, which still struggles to consistently format text). Maybe they'll find their footing again before I've migrated everything out, but I'm not hopeful. The entire team seems to have lost the plot.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Not quite what you want but, is this helpful?

* Alfred *can* search in Evernote. I use the paid version but the freemium might work for you. You just invoke Alfred with a shortcut (just like Spotlight), type 'ENS" followed by what you're looking for. [I assume that Alfred uses the same macOS under-the-hood magic that Spotlight uses. Don't really understand why Alfred but not Spotlight can use it]

* You *can* also invoke an Evernote-only search. Look in Evernote > Preferences > Keyboard Shortcuts > Search in Evernote. I have ⌃⇧S, maybe this is the default. This is imperfect because you might not know if your Note is in Evernote or elsewhere.  

Archived