Edit note on iOS - always jumps to the bottom!

• Level 5

Really frustrating bug:

When viewing a note on iOS (EN 8.15.1) if you click somewhere and try to edit, it always scrolls you all the way to the bottom of the note and puts the cursor there. It's really difficult to position the cursor anywhere else in the note if you are trying to edit something in the middle.

I've found on long notes or notes with tables, it's basically impossible to edit so I end up just stuffing text at the end and having to go to the desktop app later to clean it up. This used to work much better, please fix!

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

Is it a bug? I thought it was just a fun game Evernote played with us.

*click*

*start editing*

*scroll back to original point* ...

*correct my corrections because I couldn’t blindly visualize where punctuation should be*

*scroll BACK up*

*start editing again*

*etc. >sigh<

• Sad 1
  • Level 5

I opened a support ticket (#2639285).  Suggest all others affected do the same to try to raise the priority on this. I don't think the forums are monitored that much by anyone who can actually fix this.

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, luckman212 said:

I opened a support ticket (#2639285).  Suggest all others affected do the same to try to raise the priority on this. I don't think the forums are monitored that much by anyone who can actually fix this.

done from my end too - #2639304

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Has been happening for me on phone with iOS 12 beta installed. Right after I updated iPad to the 12 iOS beta it’s jumping to the bottom on edits there too. Long press then quick tap sometimes works to edit.

Evernote should push a fix out, final 12 version is coming quick.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I also have this problem since I installed ios12. It seems to be worse the bigger the note is.

i know they say max note size is 200mb for premium but how do you work out size of your note?

i am hoping they will very quickly sort this bug out as it’s very frustrating.

i have submitted a couple of support requests with no answer yet.

I have the same problem, as like you all, have been a premium user for some time and depend on evernote. This bug is very annoying as have larger notes, and the lock out to take subsequent taps makes things worse. Is there a quick "go to top of file" command? Currently this lack of usability, makes me wonder if I should stay with evernote if they do not fix it. I have a CS request submittted too. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Clicking on the top of the iOS device where date, time, WiFi etc are will take you to the top of the note. 

I’m often not able to even add info to the bottom of a note when it jumps there. Just freezes. Hope this bug gets fixed soon.

• Like 1

That works, thanks. Did discover a workaround: upon initially opening the note, press and hold inside the note. That puts the cursor there and selects that text. Then one can abort then stay and navigate at the front (top) of the note. Thank heavens for these forums.

• Like 1

Same frustration. I tend to have long notes and use some of them very often, editing them at the top and sometimes in the middle. Thanks for all who suggested workarounds and hopefully there will be an update with a firm fix soon enough. I just completed EN survey where I complemented the service very highly… and now this…

October 10, 2018 comment. I just realized that i haven’t updated my EN for quite some time so i did it this morning (with Oct. 1 update in iphone’s App store), then went to a couple of long notes in EN and they now seem to behave normal. So all is fixed then?

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/5/2018 at 12:14 AM, jeff650 said:

That works, thanks. Did discover a workaround: upon initially opening the note, press and hold inside the note. That puts the cursor there and selects that text. Then one can abort then stay and navigate at the front (top) of the note. Thank heavens for these forums.

Yes - thank you for this workaround. As others noted, it started with updated to ios 12.x. The workaround is a lifesaver!

When I write long texts, the cursor stops working and I can't do the following things:

1. Jump to a specific word with the cursor. If I am writing and want to go back, I tap the older sentences but the cursor suddenly dissappears, or it gets "glued" to the last word I was writing.
  2. Sometimes if I try to tap a word I've written lines up, the tap randomly jumps to the bottom of the note, where Context-related notes are, and it automatically opens the first note of the Context menu... this is very annoying.

Am I the only one with this issue?

Hope it gets fixed. Just happens with Evernote on my iPhone and iPad...

• 2 weeks later...

From what I understand, this is a bug that the team is aware of and they are working on a fix. In the meantime, try turning off Context in the settings. This seems to have worked to fix it if you are dealing with the issue.

I also recommend a complete close out of the app after turning off the feature and then going back into the app.

• Like 1
  • 10 months later...
  • 4 years later...

Have the same problem which is >5y old now and STILL UNRESOLVED in Dec 2023:

Using an iPad Pro with the latest iPadOS 17.1.2 and latest EverNote 10.61.2

While editing a Note, if you move away (e.g. to copy from another application/tab) and come back (to paste the copied text in the EN Note), EN has already "closed" the Note such that you have to "Open" the Note again and navigate to wherever you were in the Note that you need to paste...

Seriously, WHAT can we do to get the EverNote developers' attention to sort this out?

Thanks in advance if anyone has figured out how to do this on iPad.

🙏

• Level 5*
On 12/9/2023 at 9:13 PM, drnikhilp said:

Seriously, WHAT can we do to get the EverNote developers' attention to sort this out?

Hi.  You could post this in the Feature Request section of the forums (if it's not there already) and get some votes in support?  Evernote has new owners as of the start of this year,  and they're busy cleaning house right now.

Edit:  I removed two other posts on this topic.  Please only comment once on any issue.

• Level 5

THIS had been an issue oh maybe 18 month ago. If prevailed for a few releases, and then was corrected. There should be forum threads where it can be reproduced when the reports started, and when they were put to a rest when the new version solved the problem, back then.

I can’t reproduce it on the current release 10.61.2., neither on iPad nor iPhone.

If a user still has something like it, he should contact support.

Dear @gazumped and @PinkElephant,

Thank you both for your input on this.

I had contacted EverNote Support after trawling throught the EN Discussions Forums- got a very unhelpful reply saying:

"We are currently restructuring the Evernote Customer Support department to ensure we can deliver a better service to you and all our customers. Some delay in response time is expected. We apologize for the inconvenience. We would like to invite you to take a look at the following resources available on our Help & Learning

If you still have doubts after following the instructions and suggestions available there and if you still need support:
please reply to this email making sure to include:
* As many details as possible regarding your request and experience, including any relevant supporting information
* All the steps that you took to resolve your doubts or issues after referring to the Help & Learning resources
Without a significant level of detail, we won’t be able to process your request quickly."

Anyway, I have replied to their email, once again providing them the "details" of the issue- which were explicitly specified already.

P.S. @gazumped, I take your point about multiple posting but I didn't "create" new posts- I just replied to the pre-existing threads since I didn't know which one would beget a reply if at all, given that (as I discovered) this "issue" (malfunction) has been around for >5 years.... and this was the first time I used this Forum... BUT I now know that souls like you and @PinkElephant are not only helpful but also amazingly prompt, so henceforth your advice about avoiding multiple posting is taken on board.

Many thanks to you both once again, and I will post here if at all this issue gets resolved.

Kind regards,

Nikhil.

• Like 1