Evernote installation is totally borked

I had a shared notebook that seemingly failed to share properly, so I tried to re-import it and delete the weird, empty version of it, at which point Evernote froze up. Fine. Whatever. I had to kill it using the Task Manager, but such is life. However, when I tried to open Evernote again, it said something was corrupted. UGH. Whatever. Uninstall, reinstall...but I can't log in. I try to log in using my Google account, and it either doesn't let me type in the e-mail input box, or it gets all the way through the login process and tells me it can't connect to the servers. This seems like nonsense since I can log in to my account on a browser like normal, but whatever. I try to update Evernote through the menu toolbar, and the installation fails due to a corrupted file. When I try to download the installer for the newest version, I get a whack installer that doesn't run properly at all. I download the installer on a different device, run it on the device that's having the issues, and I end up at an issue I've seen before: I can't type in the e-mail input box.

The device is a Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet 2, and it's running Windows 8.1. I'm at the end of my tether here.

I think I was running a slightly older version of Evernote at the time, but I'm currently running v.6.14.5.7671 (which was not easy to get the installer for, and which I couldn't update to from the older version because of some other bug).

Edit: The fun, new thing it's doing is that it's requiring me to enter my password before it'll sync my notes. Unfortunately, when I enter more than a certain number of characters, the "Ok" button is disabled. I'm also not sure whether this prompt makes sense, since I'm using a Google account.

• Ex Employees
8 hours ago, EvernoteDoesn'tWork said:

I think I was running a slightly older version of Evernote at the time, but I'm currently running v.6.14.5.7671 (which was not easy to get the installer for, and which I couldn't update to from the older version because of some other bug).

Edit: The fun, new thing it's doing is that it's requiring me to enter my password before it'll sync my notes. Unfortunately, when I enter more than a certain number of characters, the "Ok" button is disabled. I'm also not sure whether this prompt makes sense, since I'm using a Google account.

Please click "cancel" to dismiss the prompt, select File > Sign out, and log back in with your Google Account. That should stop the password prompts from appearing. Let us know if it doesn't. Thanks. 

On 8/24/2018 at 5:42 PM, Austin G said:

Please click "cancel" to dismiss the prompt, select File > Sign out, and log back in with your Google Account. That should stop the password prompts from appearing. Let us know if it doesn't. Thanks. 

I signed out, and when I tried to sign back in, I was not able to type my e-mail address. I can see the cursor in the input box, I can click to make absolutely sure that window has focus, but I can't type any letters.

On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 5:42 PM, Austin G said:

This has not stopped the password prompts from appearing, and I am still unable to type anything in the text input box on the Google sign-in page.

I've made a few discoveries since making this post.

Firstly, I suspect the microSD card in the tablet I was using is busted. Any writes or deletions to the microSD card did not persist between reboots, and I think they were quietly "undoing" themselves after some amount of time had passed. This seems consistent with the microSD card never being written to, and since I'm pretty sure I had Evernote storing data on the microSD card, this could be responsible for the file corruption message Evernote was showing me. If anyone else knows anything about how microSD cards behave when they're failing, I'm all ears. I plugged the microSD card into my desktop and tried to run chkdsk /f on it, but it failed with the message that the card was read-only. I found some random forum that said that sometimes microSD cards make themselves read-only when they're failing in order to preserve the data, and I am in the process of setting up that tablet with a new microSD card to see if that resolves it.

Secondly, the issue where I can't type anything on the Google sign-in page seems to be resolved by left clicking on the input box a lot. I am not yet sure that the issue is actually resolved, since I only just signed in on a different device and the broken password prompt has yet to reappear, but time will tell. Let the record show that I am using a Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 2 running Windows 8.1, and that I left clicked using the mouse that is built in to the Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 2 Bluetooth Keyboard with Stand. I'm not sure that finger taps fix it, but I haven't tested that. Oh, and I am updated to the latest version of Evernote.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5
16 hours ago, EvernoteDoesn'tWork said:

Since installing the new microSD card, I have not had any corruption issues or garbage password prompts, so I would say my problems have been solved.

Excellent news! And in the wake of that ... umm ... any chance of revising your screen name? :D

• 2 weeks later...

Archived