Having "Fatal Error" since updated to v.6.14.5.7671

I am using Win10 (64-bit) PC. 

Since I updated Evernote to v.6.14.5.7671, whenever I start my laptop it shows a Fatal Error message.

(screenshots of error message and related log attached.)

Uninstall and clean re-install does not solve the problem.

No practical problems with using the app. Just annoying messages.

Could you tell what the problem is? / how to fix?

246554257_Fatalerror-Evernotev.6_14.5_7671.PNG.b212b3e3b4eb2f1be2d73460ed776cf5.PNGScreenClip.png.ee49c10b6008a07b1106533eaaf14cb2.png

• Level 5*

Hi.  I also use Windows 10 on a 64bit machine but beyond a couple of fatal errors I have no trouble using Evernote.  We're a (mainly) user-supported forum,  so no way to check your account internally.  I'd suggest you report the issue to the Support team on https://twitter.com/evernotehelps.

Meantime I'd suggest you uninstall,  reboot and reinstall Evernote again from Evernote.com - and run the installer software as Administrator (right-click the EXE file).

I can second @Dongyoon Song issue.  This exact issue has been happening to me EVERY TIME I turn on my PC and open EN, since updating to latest v.6.14.5.7671 a few days ago....bloody disappointing.

I'm on a Windows 10 64-bit Laptop.

I have tried full restart of PC + sign-out/in of Evernote App on Windows etc but no joy.

I just finished doing a full backup of EN database files + individually backing up each notebook, for which the entire process took 1.5 hours ( I have 3,578 notes across approx 235 notebooks, contained within about 12 stacks), as I am starting to get a little nervous, but, I suppose it makes prudent sense to do back-ups regularly anyways.

I did the above backup in prep for doing an EN App delete/install...but after reading @Dongyoon Song results, think I will wait for the next update/release and see if that works.

Cheers

Evernote is in my autostart (WIN 10 x64), at my computer and at my notebook.
On both systems I got the same error since the last Evernote update.
Arthur's solutions does not fix it.

Anyone else an idea please? Thanks.

This has will be fixed in an upcoming release, in the meantime if you wish you can use the steps below to revert to a previous version that doesn't have this bug: 

1. After Evernote crashes, open it again (this time Evernote should open normally)
  2. Make sure all of your recently changed or added notes are synced with Evernote web under www.evernote.com
  3. Go to File > Exit
  4. Select the Windows Start icon> Settings (gear icon)> Apps
  5. Select Evernote and click Uninstall
  6. Go to the following link to download and install Evernote 6.13.14: http://cdn1.evernote.com/win6/public/Evernote_6.13.14.7474.exe
On 8/20/2018 at 5:47 PM, RavBoy said:

I can second @Dongyoon Song issue.  This exact issue has been happening to me EVERY TIME I turn on my PC and open EN, since updating to latest v.6.14.5.7671 a few days ago.@Dongyoon Song

I have the same issue.  I've found that unchecking "Automatically check for updates" works for me as a workaround. 

Same issue, every time the computer starts the fatal error dialog appears.

Also, when I try to shut down windows without fully quitting evernote it will prevent the shutdown.

Is there an option where I can automatically quit evernote by just closing the window instead of having it shrink to the tray icon?

Unfortunately @BEHA this 'un-check' solution... only worked for a short while, and now once again I get the error on opening my PC/EN each day!  Just a small issue....but I'm looking forward to the new release, that fingers crossed fixes things up.

6 hours ago, RavBoy said:

Unfortunately @BEHA this 'un-check' solution... only worked for a short while, and now once again I get the error on opening my PC/EN each day!  Just a small issue....but I'm looking forward to the new release, that fingers crossed fixes things up.

Yes. Agreed. Same for me.

Running Vista 32

Launched Evernote  and it tells me unable to connect to server, every other app works fine but I cant launch Evernote . Ive uninstalled and reinstalled but it wont start up using the correct log on or using Google. This has been the same for 3 days, I can log on with my android Smartphone or laptop (Windows 10) no issues. Whats going on, somethings changed.

gadwon002.jpg

• Level 5*
On 8/25/2018 at 4:21 PM, tony k1957 said:

Whats going on, somethings changed.

Did you update your Evernote recently?  Newer versions don't appear to work with Vista...

Edit:  Oh yes,  and this: 

• Level 5*
On 8/25/2018 at 11:21 AM, tony k1957 said:

Launched Evernote  and it tells me unable to connect to server,

What version of Evernote are you using?

Did you update Evernote recently, in relation to :

I too am having the exact same issues as Dongyun Soon.

Evernote has never lost notes before, but ever since v. 6.14.5.7671 when the program distinctly changed its icon too, (for version ID) I lost a few critical journalism notes and now the program always crashes on the initial launch. Prior updates have always been smooth with no problems until this most recent update under the v. 6.14.5.76 subset of updates.

Please FIX this issue as soon as possible for Windows 10/64-bit users. My laptop has never been changed or been swapped.

Do not mention to me about re-installing, installing, restarting my computer et. al. with that crappy version - I used to be a tech-head before switching fields. I hope the link to Ron Bauerle's old Evernote version/reinstall is the same reliable version I've had! (will update on this).

I loved how the old version never lost notes. I am also not happy that ordinary Evernote users cannot send email reports, etc. - one has to be a premium user which is frustrating. My affiliation membership dues and constant equipment repairs and costs sink all my funds - there is nothing left for other memberships. I now backup all my Evernote Notebooks with the .ENEX archival tool after the v. 6.14.5.7671 episode. Evernote used to be one of the most reliable/valuable software for me. Iphone always glitches and loses notes, hence my reliance on Evernote.

All thanks to Ron Bauerle, as aforementioned, in my previous post! Reverting back to the old Evernote version solves the fatal error. P.S. old Evernote icon with green bcg. is more attractive than the new circle icon with the plain white? The square matches well with the Adobe Suite icons imho. If we are happy with our old versions, I hope Evernote will allow us to keep that version! Updates can often be worse in their compatibility issues. The motto, "if it ain't broke, don't fix," can be applied here. Perhaps for premium/business users, there can be options to "update" if it influences their work, but for the rest of us happy users, we'd rather have "the stable, tried-and-true" version. Please do not prompt base-tier users to update unless all bugs fixed. Premium and business users can complain and report, but the rest of us can't easily do this.

• Ex Employees

Thanks for these reports. We've fixed the top crashes occurring on 6.14 in our 6.15 Beta 1 release. You can install it from here:

This has a fix for the crash that was occurring on the initial launch of Evernote after restarting the PC. In this case, opening Evernote again should work as expected. 

Please let us know if you're still seeing crashes after updating to Evernote version 6.15.

Hi, Dave, for the foldover shape of the Elephant "ear"/page fold connotation has always been good and thank goodness, they did not change "Mads-the-Elephant" - that's akin to messing with the Coca-Cola branding - some things are so classic that to alter is just some fancy-pants designer way of raking in dough. Believe me, I came from the 3D animator world before I switched fields - we use drafting, illustration skills - a crossover between art and design, but to be honest, many "designer-decisions" drive us berserk. Square formats and the former icon sealed the linear rectangular visuals of computer monitors and interfaces. The green square against the dark elephant also had visual pop. Round white circle becomes as staid as a flat iTunes circular icon - boring! Why would anyone want that? Evernote also needs to be aware with mobile design everything is so washed over by white space and and white grid formatting too.

Speaking of which, I've always valued Evernote's clean panel designs and the simplicity of the interface to store critical information. Design should never! replace functionality and the cleanness of an interface, and I'm glad that doesn't seem to have changed. The only thing I would recommend, however, is I hope for the premium or corporate accounts they do have a way that is built into Evernote to sync with a Gmail or Outlook calendar. This is actually a very important and much needed feature, if Evernote doesn't have this built-in feature yet. For us base-tier users, Google calendar sync is not available, which is perfectly understandable. Had my finances not been so severe, Evernote and Hightail (now called Opentext) will always be one of my top/favorite programs.... Hightail is another beautiful, easy platform superior to the dreaded, invasive and ridiculous Dropbox.

I also say beware the graphic designer - not all are created equal. Some are geniuses, but many only follow industry trends blindly or have a shocking lack of practicality and common sense. That is why architects and engineers always use CAD, and not any excessive, bells-and-whistles interface. Windows started to fall apart when they tried to cater to the same consumers that Apple caters to. For us, where information and organization is critical, functionality drives us -  function above all else are the building blocks of a "logical, engineered" world. The beauty of Evernote is how it makes everything so organized and easy to find :).

I have also reverted to Evernote 6.13.14.7474 and will wait for a stable/non-beta release. 6.14 should not have been allowed to be released with such a glaring bug. Especially if Evernote is trying to "rebrand", this was not the way to do it. I rely on Evernote as my primary document management system and therefore stability and reliability is paramount.

What's taking so long for 6.15 to come out of beta? I will not install a beta version for my own production enviornment.

Valued Evernote Team,

With regards to this (and similar) fatal error notification, it would be great if Evernote would implement kind of "server side" notifications (or what ever technical term is appropriate) for end users.

Meaning, upon launch of Evernote app, it does a quick check (yes, internet connection required) e.g. for KNOWN errors like this > echoes a user-friendly notification to end-user(s) screen like "OOPPPSSSSSS, we have *rewed up, there's a know issue in Evernote for xyz <Error> and it seems you are impacted. Fear not, we are aware of this and a fix is on it's way. Details <link to error> and workaroud <link>".

By having such implementation in place:

1) It would greatly decrease the amount of un-necessary inquiries (= les workload)

2) It would be very good customer service and increase customer satisfaction

3) It would be easier to follow (and react upon); now people are trying to do ("fixes") something that has no real impact.

Regards,
Timo

I got the same error.

I contacted support and they offered to unsubscribe from public notebook called "GTD" (Evernote published on their website).

Ok, that helped for one day and after that the error returned. The new answer from support is that there is a bug and i should wait. 

Here is the official answer:

evernote reply.PNG

• Level 5*
35 minutes ago, Mishkafofer said:

The new answer from support is that there is a bug and i should wait.

As noted above,  there's a beta version (6.15.2 now) which has a lot of bug fixes,  though to be fair I had a crash recently - I wanted to delete a note (keyboard delete key) and the whole app disappeared!  I had the crash report window and Evernote reloaded immediately...  Been having Windows problems though recently,  which may be related.

Yea, it's know issue by the EN engineering staff and fix is WIP.

However, just wanted to point out in my previous post on this thread, that implementing somekind of server-side notification on systems impacted would be much appreciated from UX point of view.

• Level 5*

@dconnet - it happened to me again! (sorry to hijack the thread).  My laptop was only recently started up,  Evernote Outlook and Firefox running;  was reading one note,  clicked on the next title (in side [ugh] list view) and 'poof' no window.  Evernote icon still in the bottom right corner (Win 10 1709) but using 'open Evernote from there gets me 'Evernote is not ready to accept clips' and the shut down quit Evernote option doesn't work.  Tried restarting the app from the Start menu,  and I got the Fatal Error window.  Filled in the dialogue with a link back here.  Hit 'send' (or OK or whatever..) and the window closed - and Evernote opened up right away.  Weird.  (This is in 6.15.2 by the way...)

752469480_right-click1.jpg.5190a1f0d7f362573df9d7a25e313623.jpg

976328727_right-click2.jpg.4886d3baf2451d765fa1d0046f901245.jpg

(Edited to add image)

Just adding my +1 to this thread, I'm having many issues with fatal error at startup and also random crashes from time to time, having the kill the evernote components in task manager because it won't restart the app etc. 

As for the suggesting to move to the beta....

On 8/29/2018 at 11:24 AM, Austin G said:

Thanks for these reports. We've fixed the top crashes occurring on 6.14 in our 6.15 Beta 1 release. You can install it from here:

NO WAY! after the recent disasters on the beta train, I'm not going back there for a long time!

• Level 5*
On 8/28/2018 at 8:24 PM, Austin G said:

Hey Austin,

Just so you know, I've had two crashes on the 6.15 betas, didn't have any prior.  Sent both of them in via the panel that appears.

• Ex Employees
On 9/17/2018 at 11:03 AM, CalS said:

Hey Austin,

Just so you know, I've had two crashes on the 6.15 betas, didn't have any prior.  Sent both of them in via the panel that appears.

Thanks Cal.  I'll check the crash reports shortly.

Have you seen a crash with the 6.15  GA yet? We just released it to 5%. 

• Ex Employees
On 9/15/2018 at 9:48 AM, gazumped said:

@dconnet - it happened to me again! (sorry to hijack the thread).  My laptop was only recently started up,  Evernote Outlook and Firefox running;  was reading one note,  clicked on the next title (in side [ugh] list view) and 'poof' no window.  Evernote icon still in the bottom right corner (Win 10 1709) but using 'open Evernote from there gets me 'Evernote is not ready to accept clips' and the shut down quit Evernote option doesn't work.  Tried restarting the app from the Start menu,  and I got the Fatal Error window.  Filled in the dialogue with a link back here.  Hit 'send' (or OK or whatever..) and the window closed - and Evernote opened up right away.  Weird.  (This is in 6.15.2 by the way...)

752469480_right-click1.jpg.5190a1f0d7f362573df9d7a25e313623.jpg

976328727_right-click2.jpg.4886d3baf2451d765fa1d0046f901245.jpg

(Edited to add image)

Thanks @gazumped. I'll confirm that we're tracking this crash.  

Please let us know if you see the same issue on the 6.15 GA. 

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, Austin G said:

Thanks Cal.  I'll check the crash reports shortly.

Have you seen a crash with the 6.15  GA yet? We just released it to 5%. 

Out and about for a few days, no laptop. .  Will upgrade when back. Thanks.  

Archived