Search Grammar "Google Drive"

Alexpie

• Level 5*

Evernote's search feature is documented at https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208313828

I don't see a specific Google Drive search, but resource: is one of the parameters

edit: the resource: attribute works for attachments.  It does not work if for file links or Googles web/file links

resource:[MIME type string] - will match notes that have a resource with a MIME type that matches the argument. E.g.: 

• resource:image/gif 

• Matches notes with at least one image/gif resource 

• resource:audio/* 

• Matches notes with at least one audio resource

• -resource:image/* 

• Matches notes with no images 

• resource:application/vnd.evernote.ink 

• Matches notes with one or more ink resources

• Level 5*

The normal Evernote resource types don't seem to work with files on Google Drive.

I also found Google Drive specific MIME types (https://developers.google.com/drive/api/v3/mime-types), but unfortunately they don't seem to work in Evernote either:

Supported MIME Types

You can use MIME types to filter query results or have your app listed in the Chrome Web Store list of apps that can open specific file types.

The following table lists MIME types that are specific to G Suite and Google Drive.

MIME Type Description
application/vnd.google-apps.audio  
application/vnd.google-apps.document Google Docs
application/vnd.google-apps.drawing Google Drawing
application/vnd.google-apps.file Google Drive file
application/vnd.google-apps.folder Google Drive folder
application/vnd.google-apps.form Google Forms
application/vnd.google-apps.fusiontable Google Fusion Tables
application/vnd.google-apps.map Google My Maps
application/vnd.google-apps.photo  
application/vnd.google-apps.presentation Google Slides
application/vnd.google-apps.script Google Apps Scripts
application/vnd.google-apps.site Google Sites
application/vnd.google-apps.spreadsheet Google Sheets
application/vnd.google-apps.unknown  
application/vnd.google-apps.video  
application/vnd.google-apps.drive-sdk 3rd party shortcut

• Level 5*
On 8/20/2018 at 8:24 PM, gazumped said:

I went old-school and searched the body of the note for "https://drive.google.com" (with or without the quotes) - seems to work,  even when only the Evernote icon is visible...

Not too sure about this one. the string https://drive.google.com can be found if it's in the text of the note, but in the case of an attachment, it's stored in an anchor tag, and not visible, so it doesn't seem like it's being found. For example, from a .ENEX file, embedding a PDF:

<a href="https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9pL6vKZLnIEc3RqcnRlcl9maWxl" rev="en_rl_small" style="min-width: 380px;">Getting started</a>

That also shows why the standard MIME types don't work either; they're not even present in the application

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, jefito said:

Not too sure about this one

I may be special - ran the search again and turned up all the files I would expect,  including this one...

ScreenClip.png.32285cd83910babb2829deaef048e289.png

The URL is not visible,  but I can copy it from the icon...

Anyhoo..  a clear link (that works for everyone) would be good - unless you think ahead and use a tag or a keyword...  ;)

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, gazumped said:

I may be special

Oh, I've been saying that for a while ?

2 hours ago, gazumped said:

ran the search again and turned up all the files I would expect,  including this one...

I tested this out, and it didn't work for me. A little baffled, but not that much, as this isn't a valuable use case for me.

On the server-side search, resource file names are included in the "all" field, so it's as if they are actually in the note text. You can also manually search for just them with resourceFileName:somefilename. The Mac and Windows clients don't use server-side search right now, though.

Google Drive attachments, though, are really just links rather than true attachments, so they're not a "resource". So I don't think there's a good way to search for them, unfortunately. I'm noting it down as an improvement we could look into, though :)

• Level 5*
33 minutes ago, rezecib said:

The Mac and Windows clients don't use server-side search right now, though.

Is that in the offing, though? It would be nice if the client searches matched the server-side search, even if they don't use it explicitly for performance reasons.

I did notice that the Google Drive attachment links are obfuscated somehow, so searching on their actual names wouldn't really accomplish much.

• Level 5*
59 minutes ago, jefito said:

It would be nice if the client searches matched the server-side search,

Vice versa at this point for me.  Server side search has issues.  Typically notes are missing in my server side text searches.  Current trouble ticket in place.  That and i don’t care for the slowdown of a client server relationship. Replicate the function in my view. 

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, CalS said:

Vice versa at this point for me.  Server side search has issues.  Typically notes are missing in my server side text searches.  Current trouble ticket in place.  That and i don’t care for the slowdown of a client server relationship. Replicate the function in my view. 

My idea was more along the lines of "replicate the searches that the server-size is supposed to deliver (there's a spec for this, remember?), modulo bugs (which ought to be fixed)". When a specific client does things that other clients cannot (I'm looking at you, hierarchical tag searches on Windows), it means that saved searches may not deliver consistent results on different devices. How it gets there (explicit use of the server, or strict emulation) is not material. On one hand, Google search, say, seems to keep up fine, but realistically, you need some sort of client side search for when you're offline. and that's gotta match up.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, jefito said:

My idea was more along the lines of "replicate the searches that the server-size is supposed to deliver (there's a spec for this, remember?), modulo bugs (which ought to be fixed)". When a specific client does things that other clients cannot (I'm looking at you, hierarchical tag searches on Windows), it means that saved searches may not deliver consistent results on different devices. How it gets there (explicit use of the server, or strict emulation) is not material. On one hand, Google search, say, seems to keep up fine, but realistically, you need some sort of client side search for when you're offline. and that's gotta match up.

Yup, replicate the search.  Expectation is same search result independent of platform or sync method.  Seems reasonable.  Data be data.  

Archived