Evernote for Windows 6.15 Beta 1

Chantal Leonard

Idea

Hi folks - 

Today the team is making version 6.15 Beta 1 available. You can download it here or check for updates (make sure you've opted into betas.) 

This release has a handful of editor improvements. Please try these out and let us know what you think. 

Thanks,

Chantal and the rest of the Windows Team

Release Notes for Version 6.15

Note: Versions 6.15 is supported in Windows OS versions 7 and up.

Fixed:

- Pasting into numbered/bullet list removes list text between images

- Bold turning back on with paste after being turned off in list

- Pasting from Excel into EN Mac, requires table upgrade but UI is missing

- Pasted text in Evernote from external coding text editor alters formatting

- Copying and pasting bulleted lists from Word into EN changes bullet alignment

- Annotation: Annotated 2byte character are garbled

36 replies to this idea

1 hour ago, EdH said:

You do not want 6.13. IIRC that one had a bad sync bug. 

No, this was the first version I did try after remaining at 6.7 for ages. This was the version after the bad sync bug, and the one that you brave beta testers told me was the first relative stable since 6.7.

I am now at 6.14, and since the "cursor is anywhere" bug is resolved with this version, I will stay with it (which really drove me crazy in 6.13).

I don't remember when it started, 6.13? 6.11? maybe earlier.

The issue is that almost every time I have to reboot my Win10 computer, the one program which consistently hold back the reboot process is Evernote.  Sometimes I wait a while to let it finish whatever it is, otherwise it takes too long and I force the reboot.  Making sure I sync first doesn't help.

Since I don't recall seeing this mentioned, maybe it is just my computer, or something.

• Level 5*
15 hours ago, Don Dz said:

I don't remember when it started, 6.13? 6.11? maybe earlier.

The issue is that almost every time I have to reboot my Win10 computer, the one program which consistently hold back the reboot process is Evernote.  Sometimes I wait a while to let it finish whatever it is, otherwise it takes too long and I force the reboot.  Making sure I sync first doesn't help.

Since I don't recall seeing this mentioned, maybe it is just my computer, or something.

Maybe try not starting EN at Windows login see if it makes a difference?  Assuming you have that option set in Tools - Options - General - Launch Evernote at windows login.

27 minutes ago, CalS said:

Maybe try not starting EN at Windows login see if it makes a difference?  Assuming you have that option set in Tools - Options - General - Launch Evernote at windows login.

I meant the reboot (closing before restarting) process is affected, not the boot (login) process, sorry if that wasn't clear.

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, Don Dz said:

I meant the reboot (closing before restarting) process is affected, not the boot (login) process, sorry if that wasn't clear.

I think we are talking about a PC reboot, if so the setting re Starting at Windows login could add some cycles to the PC boot.  Personally I don't have it checked.  I click on EN when I am ready, soon after boot for sure.

Image.png.8b6329c621f9e1842ff7805354154718.png

39 minutes ago, CalS said:

I think we are talking about a PC reboot, if so the setting re Starting at Windows login could add some cycles to the PC boot.  Personally I don't have it checked.  I click on EN when I am ready, soon after boot for sure.

While the suggestion didn't make sense to me, I tried it anyways.  I disabled the setting, and rebooted 3 times, just now.

1st reboot was without delay, but launching EN produced a fatal error.

Next two times it rebooted with the usual EN delay, no fatal errors upon launching EN, so changing the setting apparently did not change the behavior, except the 1st time.

Of course, exiting Evernote manually before rebooting takes care of this issue, I guess I could try an AHK script to exit Evernote on every reboot, but that could be complicated.

Since the reboot delay did not happen in earlier versions before around 6.11 or so, i suspect a bug.  I did not mention it sooner since we were all dealing with bigger fish at the time.

• Level 5*
12 hours ago, Don Dz said:

While the suggestion didn't make sense to me, I tried it anyways.  I disabled the setting, and rebooted 3 times, just now.

1st reboot was without delay, but launching EN produced a fatal error.

Next two times it rebooted with the usual EN delay, no fatal errors upon launching EN, so changing the setting apparently did not change the behavior, except the 1st time.

Of course, exiting Evernote manually before rebooting takes care of this issue, I guess I could try an AHK script to exit Evernote on every reboot, but that could be complicated.

Since the reboot delay did not happen in earlier versions before around 6.11 or so, i suspect a bug.  I did not mention it sooner since we were all dealing with bigger fish at the time.

Sorry it didn't help.  I don't see the same problem, which doesn't mean too much based upon all the configurations out there.  But I don't reboot that often either and when I do I close windows.

On 8/29/2018 at 2:07 AM, Don Dz said:

The issue is that almost every time I have to reboot my Win10 computer, the one program which consistently hold back the reboot process is Evernote. 

I just submitted a bug fix that should clean this up - It should be in Beta2 (not sure when we're targetting that release - soon...)

FYI: What's happening is the shutdown process tells everyone to exit. Well, we now have sub-processes for the editor. These exit. And then during our shutdown we ask them for their text (so no changes are lost). And we timeout since that process is no longer talking to us. Our timeout is muchmuch longer than what Windows is willing to wait...

• Level 5*
13 minutes ago, Dinh Hai Dang said:

Does anyone have En 6.13 file installation? I want to revert back to it. 6.14 and 6.15 is quite annoying to me.

On 8/20/2018 at 6:17 AM, TK0047 said:

When you hit ESC while focused in the note, it looks like focus does not switch to the note list. That shortcut is something I use all the time working among notes and I think it got lost somewhere after 6.8. 

Is that the intent to get rid of the ESC option?

I have been skipping releases until today because of this loss of functionality, but today I was weak and accepted an update to 6.14.5.something. When I noticed this was gone, I went back through all previous versions I could find on FileHippo until I got to the newest version where it works, which was 6.10.3.6921.

16 hours ago, bcook75 said:

I have been skipping releases until today because of this loss of functionality, but today I was weak and accepted an update to 6.14.5.something. When I noticed this was gone, I went back through all previous versions I could find on FileHippo until I got to the newest version where it works, which was 6.10.3.6921.

?

People might say it is such a small thing, but it is a big part of how I use it and it is very convenient with they keyboard. And I just realized SHIFT + TAB in 6.7 does not take you to the title from the note. Interesting. 

Glad you found your version that gives you the ESC option.

Cheers and Happy Friday!

• Level 5*
16 hours ago, bcook75 said:

Seems to be some inconsistency in this feature. I can't remember the last time ESC took me back to the note list; certainly not in the past year. And I was recently using 6.9GA for a few months, where this feature was not available. And it's not in 6.14GA either.

It would be convenient, though a AutoHotKey hotkey that replicates F2 (go from note body to note title), SHIFT+TAB (go from note title to note list) is an OK substitute.

1 hour ago, tavor said:

Seems to be some inconsistency in this feature. I can't remember the last time ESC took me back to the note list; certainly not in the past year.

Not sure when 6.7 came out but ESC works in 6.7.

There's a  serious problem about 6.15 Beta.  I've recently changed my Evernote password. I also turned on the two-step verification feature. So, after entering the password to the application, the confirmation code is sent to my phone. But I just logged out and then accidentally opened my old password and opened the application. I logged back in and opened it, and this time I entered the new password I changed. The application sent the confirmation code to my phone and then the application was opened with this password. How can my old password still open the application? Without asking for a confirmation code?

Evernote 6.14.5.7671 (307671) Public (CE Build ce-48.0.5483) on Windows 10 crashes a lot. Everytime I open it that crashes once and sends a report. Then it opens. I thought that would get fixed in 6.15 as this was a problem introduced in 6.14 GA. But based on the release you have not added any stability updates. Is that being fixed?

On 8/18/2018 at 7:06 AM, Dinh Hai Dang said:

Please fix the encoding error in note title. This is a major bug that affects the whole user experience. Should be a high priority bug to fix.

Given what year we live in it is inexplicable, that we still have to struggle with encoding. Actually it is a very dubious achievement, that the title and body use different encoding!

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, TK0047 said:

When you hit ESC while focused in the note, it looks like focus does not switch to the note list. That shortcut is something I use all the time working among notes and I think it got lost somewhere after 6.8. 

Yeah, F2 - Shift+Tab is more work.

1. Invisible tags continue to plague my work flow.
@Chantal Leonard - I asked before, but no response -- should I just stop asking about this an manually recolor the few hundred tags I've been leaving 'invisible' for testing purposes?  Is there a plan to fix this, or can Evernote even fix this?  

Tags turn "invisible". Reported 2018-03-21 (still in 6.15.1)

2. Horiztonal Rules still a mess - they sometimes work, sometimes don't.  In one case I just tested, I have two HR's near the bottom of my note, but go to add one elsewhere, and one of the bottom ones disappear.  ** this is in a note generated daily by an IFTTT routine to generate a new note - perhaps I need to generate a new 'break' after HR's instead of my usual "BR" html commands to get it to work?

3. Cross platform syncing of shortcuts still a problem -- @Chantal Leonard - perhaps pass a message along to the iOS team -- I think the problem stems from that side of things.  On this windows version, I added a shortcut, synced - and the sync showed up in the web version.  Sync'd iOS and my changes to the shortcuts list were gone. Initially reported July 8 2018.

4. activty list - no sort order?  appears random - reported 2018-07-21

5. Suggestion:  let me add a 'tags' shortcut to the top tool bar (the equivalent action of ctrl-shift-T).  I've suggested it quite some time ago. seems like a simple addition to the toolbar options.
On 8/17/2018 at 7:41 PM, Chantal Leonard said:

Today the team is making version 6.15 Beta 1 available.

Ahhh. I think I missed something. v6.15 Beta 1 is out and I didn't see a v6.14 General Release yet? Are we skipping a v6.14 GA?

53 minutes ago, RgaDawg said:

Ahhh. I think I missed something. v6.15 Beta 1 is out and I didn't see a v6.14 General Release yet? Are we skipping a v6.14 GA?

They didn't bother to announce the GA, but it  came out about 1 or 2 days ago.  If you disable beta checking before you check for updates, you should get the GA.

• Level 5*

If your sidebar is in light mode, hovering over a notebook causes the note count to be invisible. It is the same font color as the hover color. The Bible Notes notebook shown below is not empty.

image.png.99b47f3696a9161cfb115dbdc1d47662.png

• Level 5*
On 8/17/2018 at 5:41 PM, Chantal Leonard said:

This release has a handful of editor improvements.

I am still able to in a bullet list press enter on the last line on the screen and have my cursor move below/off screen. The screen should scroll up to always keep the cursor in view (unless I purposefully scroll it off using the mouse and scroll bar).

Also ran into an issue where I had a word I was using (workspace) not in the dictionary. I added it, but I had to close and reopen the note to get it to remove all of the red wavy lines. If you add a word to the dictionary, it should remove the red wavy from the entire note.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, EdH said:

If your sidebar is in light mode, hovering over a notebook causes the note count to be invisible. It is the same font color as the hover color. The Bible Notes notebook shown below is not empty.

image.png.99b47f3696a9161cfb115dbdc1d47662.png

Same in 6.14 GA.  Good catch.

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, Dinh Hai Dang said:

Does anyone have En 6.13 file installation? I want to revert back to it. 6.14 and 6.15 is quite annoying to me.

You do not want 6.13. IIRC that one had a bad sync bug. 

I installed this today and noticed a few things.

1) in Snippet View, in the Note List, the date and tags (below the note title) are now grey.

Is this a bug or by design? I don't like it quite yet. maybe i get used to it :)

Before the data was blue and the tags as well (I think).

In Card View the date is still blue.

image.png.5136c1bb29a81e44d9f988aa075bf005.png

2) the space (line spacing) between checkbox entries is slightly wider.

hard to compare to before, only by memory, but I swear it looks wider. Maybe my eyes are tricking me though.

bug or by design?

cheers

I've tried 6.15 twice in the last three days. The first time it blew up completely as I was editing a note and trying to attach an image. I lost that note. I then got scared and reverted to 6.14 GA where I stayed for the next day.

Getting brave again, I installed 6.15 B1 again and the first note I edited, again attempting to attach an image, ka-boom. While I didn't lose the entire note this time (just the formatting) a table below the insertion point suddenly grew an extra column. Sort of like operating on your left hand and your right foot sprouts an extra toe. Bye-bye 6.15 B1 and hello 6.14 GA again. Wow! The extra column is gone and my note looks normal.

This is on a Win 7 machine. I'm running 6.15 B1 on my notebook under Win 10 and all is well although I don't use that for editing.

• Ex Employees
1 minute ago, OrbWeaver said:

I've tried 6.15 twice in the last three days. The first time it blew up completely as I was editing a note and trying to attach an image. I lost that note. I then got scared and reverted to 6.14 GA where I stayed for the next day.

Getting brave again, I installed 6.15 B1 again and the first note I edited, again attempting to attach an image, ka-boom. While I didn't lose the entire note this time (just the formatting) a table below the insertion point suddenly grew an extra column. Sort of like operating on your left hand and your right foot sprouts an extra toe. Bye-bye 6.15 B1 and hello 6.14 GA again. Wow! The extra column is gone and my note looks normal.

This is on a Win 7 machine. I'm running 6.15 B1 on my notebook under Win 10 and all is well although I don't use that for editing.

Thanks for the report. Looking into this now.

If you have a moment, can you export the note, and message it to me? Thanks!

Evernote rarely freezes on me, and when it does it usually has to do with some massive operation like large file import or something, but lately this beta has tended to freeze from time to time for no apparent reason, giving me a message of not being ready to accept clips yet or something like that (won't open the main window, either via the taskbar icon or via a hotkey) .  Assuming it means web clippings, I usually keep that extension disabled on the browser, maybe that's the reason?

Sometimes it solves itself if I wait a while, other times i have to reboot.

Just thought I would mention it in case anyone else noticed more frequent freezing .

An observation.

The Evernote Branding message went out this week.  So far, when I visit sites and look at the reviews, I see people expressing some real disappointment.  No one is saying branding is bad.  However, the real concern is the continued stripping away of features coupled with more and more limitations.  Here in the beta form, I continue to see the concern about old bugs that have not been addressed.

Is there a beta program that will generate solid fixes for the Windows product in the next three month period?

I would like to see some positive comments about the product that indicates

a) Past chronic bugs are fixed!

b) Features that people really need to be addressed ( I am confused about the spell check)

c) Core features improved (e.g., added notebook size for premium customers). 

Evernote is a product that is important in my work. 

The negative press, it is really getting hard to take.

Archived