Margarida Afonso

Disable auto format

Idea

25 replies to this idea

I've been notified by the android team that they will be adding the option to disable autoformatting on android, unfortunately I don't know exactly when.  For reference, the autoformatting article contains information on what autoformatting is supported on each platform and how to disable it (where possible).

• Like 1

@gazumped

Hi! I don't want autoformat. I need my text as I have typed it. I have disabled this feature when using Windows and iPad versions of Evernote but I cannot do it in Android.

• Like 2

Yes! When I need a line beginning with a dash followed by a space I can not do that. It's a common use case for me.

In my workflow with Evernote I disable autoformat and I do special formatting explicitly when necessary.

Thanks for your interest!

• Like 1

This is definitely a new problem that was introduced in the 8.3 update. I have started new lines with "- " (dash space) using earlier versions with no trouble. I tried the undo button as suggested in another post. It reverted ALL changes to the current note. Like other people in this thread, this is a huge problem for me! Android dev team, please DO NOT introduce new "features" without allowing the user to configure them.

• Like 2

This is infuriating! Glad to see the team working on it. Upvoting of course.

• Like 2

I heartily agree with both suggestions in this string: 1) give us the option to disable autoformat in Android, and 2) don't make significant changes without giving us the ability to opt-out.

• Like 1

Hi.  Can you explain how autoformat is interfering with what you're trying to accomplish?  What's actually happening?

Do you get automatic bullets occurring where they shouldn't?  Capital Letters in the wrong places?

Hmmn.  I'd never noticed before that there's autoformat. 

Attempting a " - " + <space> immediately gets you to a bulleted line.  There doesn't seem to be a way to cancel that.  I had a good look through settings and the various tools,  and I agree there's no obvious way to turn that off either.  If anyone knows otherwise perhaps you can enlighten us!  Meantime I voted (top left of the page).

I agree that this should be configurable--for those for whom it exists! I tried starting a series of lines with dashes (various kinds of dashes, too), and never got a bullet. What version are you using, @ARNeto, and on what device?

I just installed 8.3, and find this happens for me too. - or * and a space produce a bullet; [] and a space produce a check box. Weirdly, and unhelpfully for those who might actually want this, nothing produces a numbered list! Wrong; see my correction below.

Two kludges: type - followed by any nonspace character, then a space, then go back and delete the extra character; if your keyboard has it, type an em dash — or en dash –  instead of a hyphen -.

20 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Weirdly, and unhelpfully for those who might actually want this, nothing produces a numbered list!

My bad! I should have checked the autoformatting article linked by @Ron Bauerle. There it indicates that 1. or 1) followed by a space does produce a numbered list. Also, ---, ===, or *** at the beginning of a line followed by Enter produces a horizontal rule.

Food for thought: What is the most important bit about auto-formatting features in the latest generations of MS Office? It's that you can stop it immediately.

Regarding Dave-in-Decatur's hack (thanks!), I've found that just doubling up on the character suppresses the auto-formatting , then enter your space, then your text.  Works and might be a little quicker and it's still almost the same as what we're used to (although I don't want to HAVE to do this!)

Example:

** how is this

-- You got me

Yes, this issue is a major PITA and should absolutely be disableable.  Let me dream...could we be allowed to program the tab spacing???

Android 8.6.1

It is still a problem and its infuriating! please, fix that. Thanks.

It's been basically a year. How is this still an issue? I'm so sick of having to add unwanted spaces when I'm writing dividers (******) between scenes in stories because Evernote decides I need a horizontal rule or having to type an empty space in front of a line and backtrack to put 1), 2), etc. when I want a list which isn't indented. Pressing undo usually doesn't work - and even when it does, retyping the content caused auto formatting to happen all over again. Surely it can't take that much effort to enable a toggle to turn this nonsense off!

7 hours ago, L.K. said:

It's been basically a year. How is this still an issue?

The problem with some changes is that getting to the toggle is like moving the bottom can in a supermarket display pile.  Not something you want to do until you have to change the whole display for something else.  Otherwise a minor change costs a whole lot of time and effort...

Hello! Just to push up the topic.

The problem is still existing. Seriously, how could it take more than a year to just let users disable a feature they never wanted?.. Why on the other platforms you can do that but on the Android you can not? Very sorry, but I am sick and tired of not being able just simply to type the text the way I want...

• Like 1

On 10/19/2019 at 10:51 PM, BMXer_V said:

Hello! Just to push up the topic.

The problem is still existing. Seriously, how could it take more than a year to just let users disable a feature they never wanted?.. Why on the other platforms you can do that but on the Android you can not? Very sorry, but I am sick and tired of not being able just simply to type the text the way I want...

https://evernote.com/blog/mid-year-review-progress-so-far-how-you-can-help/

Thanks for the topic push! (BMXer_V, hit the upvote button please [top left].)This issue still annoys and messes me up ever time I make a note!  Keep pushing people. Changing code in software (back to what it was) is really hard when you're a professional programmer...

• Like 1

I don't care for this feature, and would also like to have the option to disable it. But it's fair to remember that they didn't put it in place just on a whim. I imagine there are people who use it gladly every day. It's not a bad idea, just one that many of us would like to be able to turn off.

The lack of ability to disable this annoying feature, which I commented about on 27-Aug-2018, has caused me to start looking for an alternative to Evernote. From what I can tell, the product works well on iOS and MacOS. Based on personal experience, it works just OK on Windows, though the editor has some quirks that take getting used to. But on Android, where I basically run my entire life, Evernote is VERY DISAPPOINTING! As others have commented, it's been over a year and we're still dealing with this issue. I understand and support the team not catering to free-level users. But as a paying user (Plus level subscription), I would think this issue would get more attention than it has. Dear Santa, all I want for Christmas...

• Like 1