Hello Evernote for Mac 7.4!

macfixer

Idea

30 replies to this idea

6 hours ago, EdH said:

I am flabbergasted that effort was expended to compile and distribute a new build that is a brand update.

It is obvious what is important at Evernote. I suspect hundreds and hundreds of man hours were spent on this project. How many bugs could have been fixed with that effort?

What if I told you that is not the case? Our engineering teams are still very much working hard every single day fixing bugs, iterating over designs, creating new features, and carefully / passionately thinking about the product and our users.

• Level 5*
12 hours ago, egypturnash said:

If a new release of Evernote came out that had no margins, I would be very unhappy. White space is good, white space gives my eyes somewhere to rest, white space sets off a note from the rest of the UI or from the stuff outside the window if

No one is advocating 0 margins. I just said it was possible with tables. The fat margins on Windows an MacOS clients is absurd. Tons of complaints in the forums. 

On 8/15/2018 at 11:04 AM, EdH said:
  • Fat margins in all clients, and I don't buy the tables issue. I can set margins to 0" in Word and have tables bump up right against the edge of the paper.

If a new release of Evernote came out that had no margins, I would be very unhappy. White space is good, white space gives my eyes somewhere to rest, white space sets off a note from the rest of the UI or from the stuff outside the window if you've opened it in a new window. And as everyone scrambles to make mobile devices with ever-smaller bezels, it sets your note off from the rest of the entire world. I've been a paid EN user for seven years and never once have I said "these margins are too big".

18 hours ago, DTLow said:

I deleted my post realising the language is a bit colorful. I apologise for that. However, it expressed a valid opinion that this "brand refresh" is a storm in a teacup and massively underwhelming. If stating my opinion makes me a troll, then let me be a troll.

I left the other post be. You have to click four times to get to the announcement. That's just a fact. And a good example of Evernote's focus on user experience. 

Also, the banner at the top of the forum ... it takes FOUR clicks to get to the Medium post. At the third post, you have to look for the third entry in the forum. Why not a direct link?  

• Level 5*
21 minutes ago, serginal said:

it would have been nice to share a stack of sub-titles. I prepared a lesson, for example, and I want to share them in bulk. it is sad that this is not possible. so I share all my books individually. and i think spaces only on business model

We've gone off topic but my preference is not to have notebooks shared individually.
I prefer a single notebook, with the note titles indicating the subjects.

14 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Sharing of notebooks Stacks has never  been a feature.

Notes and Notebooks can be shared.  The new Spaces feature can be shared.

it would have been nice to share a stack of sub-titles. I prepared a lesson, for example, and I want to share them in bulk. it is sad that this is not possible. so I share all my books individually. and i think spaces only on business model

• Level 5*
23 minutes ago, serginal said:

After updating, share our stacks just like notes is it impossible again? :(

Sharing of notebooks Stacks has never  been a feature.

Notes and Notebooks can be shared.  The new Spaces feature can be shared.

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, Eduardo Estefano said:

I don't see any difference other than the elephant icon. Should I be seeing something else new?

I think the only changes were the "Brand"; icon, color palette, fonts  ...

I upgraded, but mostly I just ignore the marketing hype

On 8/15/2018 at 8:41 AM, Mark Miller said:

What if I told you that is not the case? Our engineering teams are still very much working hard every single day fixing bugs, iterating over designs, creating new features, and carefully / passionately thinking about the product and our users.

On 8/15/2018 at 8:41 AM, Mark Miller said:

I'm sorry but as a premium customer to be told that there's a new version to download that includes a 'new colour palette' and new 'Fonts' that don't actually seem to exist... i can't  find them anywhere, is unacceptable. All that seems have happened is there's a new logo which us users/CUSTOMERS do not care about.

How about this you ask us what WE want and then do it ?

• Level 5*
10 hours ago, Mark Miller said:

Mark, I have no doubt the people coding the software are deep into it and have a passion for it. 

But right now, just the some of the issues that are affecting me:

• Fat margins in all clients, and I don't buy the tables issue. I can set margins to 0" in Word and have tables bump up right against the edge of the paper.
  • Reminders are next to useless on the Windows and Mac platform, because they go off and if you aren't sitting there to watch them go off, they just vanish, and I have to set up special saved searches so every few days I can "Find past due reminders."
  • Even though I have Sync on Demand enabled, the Evernote client locks up/freezes way too often on my PC. And it isn't my PC. I have an i7 with 16GB of RAM on a 1TB SSD. SQL Server is installed on this and it screams. My Macbook at home has a super-anemic mobile processor (Macbook 2015) and it runs circles around my Suface Pro 4. It is the database that is being used. 
  • On both Mac and Windows, if I get to the end of the screen and hit enter, most notably in some sort of list, my cursor disappears off screen. So if I am taking notes and glance back to my screen, I cannot tell where I am. I can manually scroll the screen down, or start typing, but neither of those should be necessary. Under no circumstances should typing cause the cursor to go off screen. 100% of the time, the screen should adjust content to make sure the cursor is on screen. I know I can use the scroll bar to move the cursor off screen, but I should never have to use it to move it on screen just because I'm typing.
  • Evernote on iOS refuses to share notes in iMessage saying "Recently viewed notes will appear hear when Passcode Lock is turned off." Why in the world would I turn passcode lock off to share notes? This is a recent (last month or so I believe) issue, so it wasn't always this way.
  • I continue to merge notes in Windows and lose content because some of the notes content haven't downloaded to my Windows PC. (Sync on demand). So it merges note subjects and throws the rest of the note in the trash. Then I have to get all of them out of the trash, delete the merged note, and remerge. And heaven help me if I don't notice.
  • I've lost tool bar settings in Windows because apparently there is a way for the stars to align just right that when I upgrade clients, it deletes all toolbar preferences.
  • In a day an age where everything is #hashtagged it is impossible in Evernote to find hashtags because the # symbol is explicitly ignored in any and all search contexts. I have tons of notes with hashtags, some culled from Twitter via IFTTT, others are just commands like the #date() command I use in Power Query. The proposed solution is to export all of your notes to an ENEX file and search with a text editor. Really?
  • While I know looks are key in a branding exercise, how about fixing this 3+ year old bug in how font choices are set in Windows on an HDPI monitor?
    • image.png.8549bf9eea1c13ce9aba75a8b5b2a5f9.png
  • I still cannot merge notes in my chosen order on the Mac. It is by date edited, or not at all.

That is a quick list. 

So I appreciate the team in the trenches diligently working on stuff, but as for senior managers and upper management, do not tell me again what is important to the Evernote team. Phil Libin did several mea culpas over the years promising better quality. Never happens. O'Neill has done the same. Nothing changes.

Don't tell me what is important.

Don't tell me you are "engaging with what matters."

Don't tell me that giving us "the ability to focus on what is most important to [us], something magical happens." The only thing I can focus on is a product that often fights against me.

Don't tell me anything else.

SHOW. ME. 

I desperately want to love Evernote again.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, maverator said:

Until the next product manager comes in and decides the look and feel needs to be refreshed again, and basically nothing of actual value for the existing customers is added. Only a needless disruption that everybody needs to get used to all over again, again.

Like the dark side bar now. It is definitely darker. To the point of being difficult to look at. Previously, the colors softened the starkness somewhat. So yeah, I'll get used to it. But why was this specific change made? Focus groups? Product manager didn't like it? Didn't fit the new palette, so it had to be changed regardless of whether it actually looks better? It just seems so pointless, so forgive me if I'm irritated by this when as others mentioned there are bugs that existed for years that still aren't fixed.

Glad it's not just me - the sidebar is definitely wrong.

(I like change!! so this isn't me just complaining because it's different)

Until the next product manager comes in and decides the look and feel needs to be refreshed again, and basically nothing of actual value for the existing customers is added. Only a needless disruption that everybody needs to get used to all over again, again.

Like the dark side bar now. It is definitely darker. To the point of being difficult to look at. Previously, the colors softened the starkness somewhat. So yeah, I'll get used to it. But why was this specific change made? Focus groups? Product manager didn't like it? Didn't fit the new palette, so it had to be changed regardless of whether it actually looks better? It just seems so pointless, so forgive me if I'm irritated by this when as others mentioned there are bugs that existed for years that still aren't fixed.

• Level 5*
52 minutes ago, Mark Miller said:

Mac Fanatics,

The 7.4 release was a brand update. Stay tuned for our regularly scheduled updates coming soon.

I am flabbergasted that effort was expended to compile and distribute a new build that is a brand update.

It is obvious what is important at Evernote. I suspect hundreds and hundreds of man hours were spent on this project. How many bugs could have been fixed with that effort?

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, macfixer said:

Where?

I dunno. You posted a image that said new fonts, color pallets, etc. I assume they infinitesimally tweaked the fonts Evernote is using for some dialog box somewhere.

10 minutes ago, Metrodon said:

It's working - it just looks pretty bad...

It looks great with the dark mode on Mojave IMO. Though as with every update of every software known to man, there are going to be people that love it and people that can't stand it.

Evernote recently updated on my mac and since then I cannot open notes on different windows. When I open a note in a new window, the original windows goes darker and when I click on it, the new window automatically closes. Any idea what to do?

• Level 5*
55 minutes ago, macfixer said:

The release notes are a little sparse, but I see you, new Evernote logo! ?

Still can't merge notes in a specific order though can we?

Archived