Jump to content
Nicke

Scrolling after later upates = delay, unresponsive, jerky

Recommended Posts

Hi.

Later updates of the desktop version, including this one, have left me with terrible a scrolling issue inside of notes. The exact same thing went on after previous major update. For this reason alone I was using 6.6.5.5512 until now.

There are several things acting out:

  • the response of the scroll is delayed - it simply doesn't show instant response and varies depending on scroll movement
  • scrolling is not continuous (as in smooth) even though my fingers on the touchpad are - it is jerky as if I was making tiny scrolling movements up/down across the touchpad (!)
  • if fingers are kept on the touchpad after stopping the scroll movement the response kicks in after something very close to 1 second
  • a quick swipe over the touchpad to reach top/bottom of a note leaves the note still, until the touchpad/keyboard is activated again
    • there appears to be no particular time frame within which the scrolling has to be activated. I can leave everything be for half a minute and more with same the same result

The problem appears to be "visual". Evernote seem to recognise that scrolling is going on, because the length of "one scroll" correspons to where I would expect to end up after finishing the finger movement, as in the case of the third point above. I would argue that responsiveness is of absolute importance for any program/app - no one wants to use something that isn't responding correctly.

Do anyone know why this could be?

Is anyone else experiencing the same thing, and if so, have you found a way to counter it?

As a non-paying user, can I directly bring this to the attention of the developers? (As I understand it, this forum is mainly user/community driven, and perhaps 

Share this post


Link to post

It's not just you. I too have noticed a change in scrolling behavior on my Macbook Air:

  • As I type a note, the window does not scroll with my cursor position.
  • When I use the mouse to select text, the window does not scroll down with my selection.

A defect needs to be recorded on this behavior, as this is degradation from previous releases.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Enrique P. Pineda said:

It's not just you. I too have noticed a change in scrolling behavior on my Macbook Air:

Maybe so, but you're posting in a forum specific to the Windows Evernote application, so it's likely not related. You should report it over here: https://discussion.evernote.com/forum/219-evernote-for-mac/

Share this post


Link to post

I have the same problem with desktop app on Windows 10. It's been like this for quite a few months in fact. The problem is also compounded with the windows 10 bug where on restart the mouse setting of "number of lines to scroll" is always reset to 6.

Anyway, this is pretty poor for evernote, as being able to scroll precisely through a note is of utmost importance - at the moment it really impacts on usability.

 

BTW the scrolling with your fingers with the touch screen (if you have that on your laptop) is perfectly fine!

 

Edit: I found that if I switch the from windows control of my Alps touchpad to Alps control in the control panel, then this gives perfectly smooth scrolling!! The downside is that the reason I chose windows control in the first place is that with Alps I can't find a way of turning off the right click region (I find two finger touch more intuitive).

Share this post


Link to post

I have the same issue with scrolling on my laptop with a touchpad. It sometimes doesn't respond to scrolling. The problem goes away sometimes if you restart evernote but then comes back again.  Scrolling with touch works well. So, I think the problem is related to touchpad scrolling. 

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/28/2018 at 1:55 PM, rocky_od said:

I have the same issue with scrolling on my laptop with a touchpad. It sometimes doesn't respond to scrolling. The problem goes away sometimes if you restart evernote but then comes back again.  Scrolling with touch works well. So, I think the problem is related to touchpad scrolling. 

I experience this as well, though intermittently. About 10% of the time, touchpad scrolling works well while 90% of the time it's slow and laggy. All types of scrolling on my computer, other than Evernote touchpad scrolling, work just fine.

Has anybody filed a bug report? Or contacted Evernote support on Twitter?

Share this post


Link to post

I beg your pardon everyone. I have not done any kind of reporting. But I'll see if I can bring this thread to the attention of EN support.

Since touch screen scrolling works just fine for others, and myself now that I've tried, perhaps it isn't as much a bug as it is a feature. A pure guess is that the scrolling is adapted for touch screen usage, which restrain touch pads to be working optimally at the same time. The same would be true the other way around. It would be very weird though, since both forms works in other apps, programs etc.

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/23/2018 at 2:50 AM, Nicke said:

I beg your pardon everyone. I have not done any kind of reporting. But I'll see if I can bring this thread to the attention of EN support.

Since touch screen scrolling works just fine for others, and myself now that I've tried, perhaps it isn't as much a bug as it is a feature. A pure guess is that the scrolling is adapted for touch screen usage, which restrain touch pads to be working optimally at the same time. The same would be true the other way around. It would be very weird though, since both forms works in other apps, programs etc.

Have you heard anything from Evernote staff about this? My touchpad scrolling is still pretty laggy most of the time. It would be nice if scrolling just worked.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...