Still on Evernote 4.6, do I need to upgrade?

I was just made aware of the HTTP security issue with older versions, specifically 6.4 - 6.7. However, I am still on Evernote 4.6, so:

1. Do I need to upgrade, or is the 5-year old version safe?
  2. Does 6.8 still have the mind-boggling issue seen in the attached image?

On my computer, the only way I use Evernote is opening upwards of 10 notes at at time (each in a separate window). I am not interested in a note-taking app where fully half of the space a note takes on-screen is wasted. Do I need to cancel my subscription and look for a more efficient note-taking solution?

Evernote 5.png

Reposting this to answer everyone's questions. Evernote Team blocked Evernote versions older than 6.7.6 due to a security flaw they found. They are refusing to create patches for older versions. I'm pissed because the newer versions beyond 6.5.4 have wide GIANT ASS margins on the sides. My employees use small monitors mounted to the wall, and I have spacing constraints. The margins reserved for tables make no sense. The devs could have made a floating table toolbar instead.

Anyways. They state that they are only supporting 6.7.6 and higher due to this security flaw. However, the patch they released for 6.7.6 is broken. So, you'll have to upgrade to 6.8.7. When they fix 6.7.6, then you can jump to that. Link to 6.8.7->> https://filehippo.com/download_evernote/80354/

Well I have good news: my 4.6 is still working! I've even logged out and back in, and my notes still sync. Maybe I can still get a few good years out of Evernote before I have to move on.

In case it can be of use to you and your team, here's the installer for the 4.6.1.7860, the last version before forced margins and extra headers:  https://filehippo.com/download_evernote/14084/

• Level 5*

Just as a comment - as long as you're a subscriber,  questions like this can be addressed to Evernote Support via https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new - the value of that being that Evernote get immediate feedback about issues arising from this change and (hopefully) can do something about them.  This is a -mainly- user supported forum,  and while devs do read these pages,  useful information may not get back to the company in a timely manner.

17 hours ago, gazumped said:

Just as a comment - as long as you're a subscriber,  questions like this can be addressed to Evernote Support via https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new - the value of that being that Evernote get immediate feedback about issues arising from this change and (hopefully) can do something about them.  This is a -mainly- user supported forum,  and while devs do read these pages,  useful information may not get back to the company in a timely manner.

Thank you. Even tho I already know this, for those that don't, I appreciate you posting. The more posting we do in the forum, the more they will hopefully notice. 

Here's my take. I don't think I'm that different from other business owners. I look at all feedback. I search my company, read if people are talking about me. I read my employees notes, customer feedback, and Invision what I can do to fix things. Then we talk about it on Mondays. I walk through problem areas with my team and ensure everyone is on the same page. 

I got the attention of Evernote CEO the other day on Twitter. He tweeted back and thanked me for the feedback, and said he's working on streamlining all of this nonsense. We'll see. I'm on 6.8.7 or whatever. Don't like it, but none of the older versions will sync for me. 

• Level 5*

<sigh>

8 hours ago, AndreasM said:

There is no value of addressing issues to Evernote, period.

If you don't tell 'em it's broke,  how are they supposed to fix it?  Evernote isn't exactly a big company,  and rants here and in other media don't give them enough background - unless they're easily repeatable on Evernote's own devices - for individual issues to be identified closely enough to fix. 

If you're gonna say "I'm paying for this product,  it's up to you to fix it without troubling me for information or copy log files..." you have to be prepared for a long wait while they try to work out exactly what's bugging you personally.  Getting things to work is a two-way street!

8 hours ago, AndreasM said:

gurus like you who always defends the company and accepts everything the are throwing on us

<double sigh>

No,  we (on behalf of all Gurus) don't.  I'm not going to defend the dumbacity that is all too often Evernote,  but I'm aware that sadly the employees there are only human.  Screwups happen.  I've even been there a few times myself.  However if everyone stops grandstanding and gets together to fix things, we can all enjoy a better experience.

Archived