Lost all of my local notebooks after "Evernote for Windows Update Required" security update

Hi evernote

I recently received an email entitled "Evernote for Windows Update Required" which suggested that I log in and out of my evernote account to keep in secure

It was about 9:30pm when I did log out, and when I logged back in, I lost about 3 local notebooks, and about 110 notes between them, notes with very sensitive and important information...

I've read about this issue, but there is no information about local notebooks

Please help! I'm freaking out!

• Level 5*

Hi.  Local notebooks are part of the Evernote database (EXB) file,  so as long as you have the original version of that file on your system or in a system backup archive,  you should still have your notes. 

Is it possible when logging back in that you used the wrong access details?  If not,  I'd suggest you log out,  restart your system,  and back in again - maybe the first time didn't quite work properly...

• Level 5*
12 hours ago, Rob1 said:

I lost about 3 local notebooks

It might be too late for you but all users with Local Notebooks should be aware that these notebooks are not backed up by Evernote.

Users are responsible for maintaining their own backups and restoring when required.  Use the export feature to create a backup.

5 minutes ago, DTLow said:

It might be too late for you but all users with Local Notebooks should be aware that these notebooks are not backed up by Evernote.

Users are responsible for maintaining their own backups and restoring when required.

Could you expand on that please? I thought EVERYTHING was backed up by Evernote.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Major Major said:

I thought EVERYTHING was backed up by Evernote.

Evernote runs extensive backups, but it's server based and only for sync'd data.
By definition, Local Notebooks are not sync'd; only a single copy exists on your device.

I would not have expected the above software upgrade to lose any data, but Local Notebooks are always at risk.

• Level 5*
9 minutes ago, Major Major said:

I have notes in notebooks, and they do sync, so I assume they are syncing to that great server in the sky. What am I not getting?

This issue is relating to Local Notebooks; special non-syncing notebooks.

6 minutes ago, Austin G said:

@Major MajorThanks for this report!

Logging out and back in should not have removed local notebooks. I opened a support ticket to look into this. Please check your inbox and reply when you have the time. Thanks!

Austin -

As gazumped correctly said, I am not the OP and have not lost any local notebooks. I was just asking questions about them. 

• Ex Employees

Thanks @gazumped! Fortunately, the email went to Rob, I just called out the wrong user in my post here. Please excuse me as I now go grab more coffee.

@Major Major Sorry for the confusion, but to answer your question, some people just prefer to not have their data synced to our service. As you hinted, syncing across clients is essential most. Local Notebooks are not for everybody.   ?

• Level 5*

...and to answer your question 

1. Local notebooks are not synced,  so don't count against your upload allowance - they're a handy place to put any files while you wait for a reset.
  2. They're not (obviously) online,  so notes can go there temporarily before you encrypt content,  then get moved to a synced notebook securely
  3. Some notes can live there if they're too complicated to encrypt and you don't want them online and -potentially- hackable.
  • Ex Employees
11 minutes ago, Rubinstein said:

I have the same problem, all my local notes are gone after updating from version 6.5.4 to 6.7.6 and logging out/logging in! At least I have a backup, but that shouldn't happen!!

Thanks for this report. You're right, logging out and back in should not have caused that to happen. 

When you have a moment, please reply to my email in your inbox with your activity logs attached. I'm eager to see what's happening in the logs. Thanks!

6 minutes ago, Austin G said:

When you have a moment, please reply to my email in your inbox with your activity logs attached. I'm eager to see what's happening in the logs. Thanks!

Hi Austin, I've sent you an email with the logs.

4 hours ago, gazumped said:

Local notebooks are part of the Evernote database (EXB) file,  so as long as you have the original version of that file on your system or in a system backup archive,  you should still have your notes. 

Hi Gazumped

I've actually got a .exb file on my computer, and I've tried opening it / and sending as a file on evernote but I always get the response that it is too large, and the app will only open up notes that are 25mb long.... My file is almost 14 gb.

Do you know if there's a way to open up the exb file?

Please let me know 

image.png.a4122bbedc2fcc61489fa60d2375085f.png

• Level 5*
21 minutes ago, Rob1 said:

The .exb file is used by Evernote as the database file.

You need to locate the current .exb file and replace it with your backup file.
Make sure you're signed out of Evernote.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, Rob1 said:

Yup - this is an Austin G special.

You'll wind up with an ENEX file per notebook,  which you can import into a synced or a Local notebook as you require.

Archived