System error - won't allow access to notes

Hi,

My notes won't open in Evernote on phone (they open ok in PC).

When I tap on a note, it shows a loading circle "Opening a note" and then throw an error message: "Oops! System error. We'll close Evernote to eliminate the error. If the problem persists, try to restart the device."

I tried to restart the device, to reinstall Evernote - it didn't help.

The tickets in Evernote support cannot be reported. It's stupid that there's a page to submit a ticket  w i t h o u t   the actual possibility to submit it. So, how can I report this problem?

Any attempt to access any note on the Evernote app on my Android phone results in "Opps! There is a system error. We'll close Evernote now to resolve the problem. If the issue persists, try restarting your device." - when I click on the "OK", Evernote closes

Despite powering down, then back up my phone, this message and behavior still occurs.  I can get to my notes via the Web, but not my phone.

Help!

AndrewSanDiego

Same problem here.  All my notes are gone on both the web and app.  Says I'm a basic user even though I've been premium for years.  Happened when I logged off and back on per the email alert I received.

Thanks Dave,

Yes, the problem has started recently. Surprisingly, it correlates with the time, when my notebook crashed and I had to reinstall all the programs (as well as Evernote) there.  However, the issue is reproducible on my Android phone only!..

I'm having exactly the same issue and error message. I've tried on wifi and on mobile data. Have uninstalled, rebooted, reinstalled and rebooted and still the same error. I can see and search all my notes, but I can't open any of them (tried a random selection across 2 yrs of dates).

Everything is fine and accessible on windows app and web browser.

Hi, I wanted to let you know that our team is working on a solution for this and considers it a top priority issue.  In the meantime, there may be a fix you can apply yourself: Some users have reported success after updating Android System WebView (a Google component for Android). You can do this from the Google Play store here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.webview

Please let me know if the problem persists after updating WebView.

I just  updated Webview from My Apps & Games in the Play Store.  I do not use Auto Update.  It was one of the apps waiting for me to update.

Updating Webview solved the problem with the Note Update error.  Working fine now.

Thanks for the information

• Ex Employees

We've recently released an 8.3 update that should fix this issue. Google has added version 8.3 to the Play store, but it may take a few days before the update reaches your device. Please keep checking for updates until then.

Thanks for the info concerning the update. Unfortunately only 8.0 is currently available on the Play Store. Is there a possibility of downloading the latest version for Android on the Evernote site ?

I have a similar but slightly different issue -- Evernote opens, I can see the note I want, and there is content in the "preview" -- but when I open the note it's BLANK.  Copying the note results in another BLANK note (but still shows data in preview).  Data DOES open on computer.  Have tried syncing to no avail.

I have not tried reloading the app, which is I guess the next step -- tho why that should be required is a little questionable.

It is SUPER AGGRAVATING that Evernote makes it IMPOSSIBLE to report this to THEM.  I am at the point of abandoning what has been one of my favorite apps over this.  I was an early adopter, and to not be able to report my first issue in 5 + years is just incomprehensible.  Sorry to vent, but I'm hoping someone at Evernote actually monitors some of these forums.

So aside from the immediate issue -- if anyone can recommend an alternative, I'll vote with my feet -- since that's the ONLY feedback I'm allowed.

On 8/16/2018 at 12:04 AM, Jay-Bob said:

We've recently released an 8.3 update that should fix this issue. Google has added version 8.3 to the Play store, but it may take a few days before the update reaches your device. Please keep checking for updates until then.

Thanks. The update to 8.3 has solved the problem.

two problema (for me) re fixes above --

Webview -- when I go to Play Store it says "disabled" -- however it's not in my list of apps -- so how do I enable?

Evernote is showing as 8.2 in my phone "no further updates available" -- however Google Play shows as 8.3  -- but says "installed"?  Do I have to uninstall from phone and reinstall?

Thanks

• Level 5
5 hours ago, ParacleteDove said:

Hello,

Thank you for your comments.  I uninstalled Evernote on my Android, then reinstalled with version 8.3.  I'm still getting the error message and can't open the note on my phone.  Any new ideas?

Thank you, Deborah

Hi Deborah, and welcome to the forums. If this is only happening with one particular note, you might try going to that note in the Web version of Evernote (https://www.evernote.com/Login.action), and if all is well with it there, copy all its text and paste it into a new note. Maybe even paste as plain text (without formatting), if that wouldn't cause too many other problems.  It's conceivable that some stray formatting problem is causing an issue  on the Android device.

You are a genius, Dave!  It worked perfectly!  It was a mutated note--I had been have some sync warnings in the last few days.  It's a note that I frequently use and modify as a master task list.  Thank you so much for your help!  By the way, with your expertise, I am using Evernote with David Allen's Getting Things Done.  I've found some YouTube videos and a pdf from David Allen Co, but I was wondering if you have other insights?  Thank you very much!

Unfortunately the 8.3 update still has an un-sguashed bug. Some notes open, some don't. When the system error message appears, Evernote crashes. Tried copying online the contents of the note that crashed Evernote on my Android device and created a new note. The new note also had the same error and crashed the app. This is very frustrating and currently makes Evernote unusable on an Android device. No problems online or on my PC. ?

• Level 5
21 hours ago, ParacleteDove said:

You are a genius, Dave!  It worked perfectly!  It was a mutated note--I had been have some sync warnings in the last few days.  It's a note that I frequently use and modify as a master task list.  Thank you so much for your help!  By the way, with your expertise, I am using Evernote with David Allen's Getting Things Done.  I've found some YouTube videos and a pdf from David Allen Co, but I was wondering if you have other insights?  Thank you very much!

Well, ahem, you hang around long enough and pick up on what people who know what they're doing say, and you start to look smart.... :) I don't have any experience with GTD™️ (or actually with ordinary gtd!), so I can't help there.

On 8/20/2018 at 4:18 PM, cjhowell62agmail said:

I have found the Android web view and it says it is disabled..?? No matter how hard i try i am unable to enable it...!! Please please help

How do i enable Android web view..?

I have found it in play store and it will not allow me to enable it.. 

I've uninstalled evernote and then reinstalled it.. I'm still unable to access my notes & notebooks.. And it still says  Android web veiw disabled..i have also uninstalled chrome, and reinstalled that too and still Android web view is disabled  ..will somone please help.. Otherwise I'm going to have to uninstall EVERNOTE completely..

On 8/17/2018 at 5:31 PM, MMcD said:

I have a similar but slightly different issue -- Evernote opens, I can see the note I want, and there is content in the "preview" -- but when I open the note it's BLANK.  Copying the note results in another BLANK note (but still shows data in preview).  Data DOES open on computer.  Have tried syncing to no avail.

I have not tried reloading the app, which is I guess the next step -- tho why that should be required is a little questionable.

It is SUPER AGGRAVATING that Evernote makes it IMPOSSIBLE to report this to THEM.  I am at the point of abandoning what has been one of my favorite apps over this.  I was an early adopter, and to not be able to report my first issue in 5 + years is just incomprehensible.  Sorry to vent, but I'm hoping someone at Evernote actually monitors some of these forums.

So aside from the immediate issue -- if anyone can recommend an alternative, I'll vote with my feet -- since that's the ONLY feedback I'm allowed.

I have EXACTLY the same problem, and same frustrations. Tried same fixes. Couldn't figure out how to get help. 

Pixel (1) user, problem occurred suspiciously close to when I upgrade to Android 9. 

Didn't figure out a real solution, so I ended up copying the note contents from the note when opened on PC and emailed it to evernote using my evernote email address and just creating a new note.

Good luck

• 3 weeks later...

I tried all of the above.  Still "Note Edit error  Oops@  There is a system error.  We'll close Evernote now to resolve the problem.  If the issue persists, try restarting your device."

Uninstalled.  Reinstalled.  Copied and pasted new documents.  

Suggestions?

My purpose for choosing Evernote is to have it work on my phone. I may need to cancel if no solution is found. 

I remember being taught in one of the training videos (?) about Evernote. Using it, running into challenges--Does anyone have recommended other training?

Challenges: 1.) I am having trouble opening my material in my phone.  I keep getting Note Edit error.  Oops there is a system error.  We'll close Evernote to solve the problem. If the issue persists try restarting your device. 

Also, 2.) When I copy and paste something into a note, it is not transferring in properly--part of one word appears on one line, the rest on the next. i.e. "we owe our thanks to the Lord i

n everything; nevertheless, there are supreme geniuses among men. "

Thank you in advance

Archived