SadTaxPayer

Manual Page Breaks, Page Numbering for Printing

Idea

After spending six hours researching all the forums, I have finally determined that the above titled capabilities, among others involving printing, still do not exist even though they have been requested since at least 2012. I use EN for all my work notes; I am a Project Engineer and Maintenance Manager for a food manufacturing company. I keep all my project notes by project in single notes. When the project is done, I would like to print the project summary (costs, issues, contacts, etc) to send it up the management chain. Page breaks would make it look imminently better, whether on paper or by PDF. I know this is more than a Windows version issue, but one has to start somewhere.

#Windows, #PageBreak, #PageNumber, #Printing

(Sorry, I don't know how to show the neat little tags people have on their ideas, so I reverted to hashtags)

Edited by SadTaxPayer
Cleaned up and added explanation
  • Thanks 1

5 replies to this idea

You may want to  use a different format for your documents.  
Evernote's base format enml/html is more related to web pages than word processing documents.

I don't print often, but I just had a need recently, and I needed to format a couple notes into several specific pages. What I found for a workaround was to 

1. Duplicate the note
  2. Select the duplicated note, and Do File / Print Preview... which brings up the note in a PDF viewer (Chrome for me)
  3. Examine the note, and guesstimate where to add line breaks
  4. Repeat from step 2 until it's broken into pages the way you want.

I'm not saying that this is ideal, and I wouldn't want to do it very often or with long documents. But the occasional times I need this sort of facility are pretty rare. 

Alternatively you could print to PDF, and use a PDF editor to insert page breaks.

• Like 1

This should be possible nowadays in html with the css styles page-break-before and page-break-after. Here's hoping Evernote adds a way for us to set them on an element. 

The solution is still the same.  Use a word processor editor

Evernote's note editor/format is the wrong tool.    
However, the documents can be stored as note attachments

>>I would suggest that non-animatable css would be a natural place.

Maybe, but there's been no action from Evernote on this request; and user support is one vote

3 hours ago, DTLow said:

The solution is still the same.  Use a word processor editor

Evernotes note editor/format is the wrong tool.    
However, the documents can be stored as note attachments

I think offering any formatting at all for a note is a slippery slope. People will say "I wrote my notes here and formatted them so they look nice. If only feature X existed, I could do Y with them, rather than having to export my note to software Z".

There seem to be certain natural places to make seams however. I would suggest that non-animatable css would be a natural place.