Manual Page Breaks, Page Numbering for Printing

SadTaxPayer

Idea

After spending six hours researching all the forums, I have finally determined that the above titled capabilities, among others involving printing, still do not exist even though they have been requested since at least 2012. I use EN for all my work notes; I am a Project Engineer and Maintenance Manager for a food manufacturing company. I keep all my project notes by project in single notes. When the project is done, I would like to print the project summary (costs, issues, contacts, etc) to send it up the management chain. Page breaks would make it look imminently better, whether on paper or by PDF. I know this is more than a Windows version issue, but one has to start somewhere.

#Windows, #PageBreak, #PageNumber, #Printing

(Sorry, I don't know how to show the neat little tags people have on their ideas, so I reverted to hashtags)

Edited by SadTaxPayer
Cleaned up and added explanation
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

You may want to  use a different format for your documents.  
Evernote's base format enml/html is more related to web pages than word processing documents.

• Level 5*

I don't print often, but I just had a need recently, and I needed to format a couple notes into several specific pages. What I found for a workaround was to 

1. Duplicate the note
  2. Select the duplicated note, and Do File / Print Preview... which brings up the note in a PDF viewer (Chrome for me)
  3. Examine the note, and guesstimate where to add line breaks
  4. Repeat from step 2 until it's broken into pages the way you want.

I'm not saying that this is ideal, and I wouldn't want to do it very often or with long documents. But the occasional times I need this sort of facility are pretty rare. 

Alternatively you could print to PDF, and use a PDF editor to insert page breaks.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

The solution is still the same.  Use a word processor editor

Evernote's note editor/format is the wrong tool.    
However, the documents can be stored as note attachments

>>I would suggest that non-animatable css would be a natural place.

Maybe, but there's been no action from Evernote on this request; and user support is one vote

• Like 2
3 hours ago, DTLow said:

The solution is still the same.  Use a word processor editor

Evernotes note editor/format is the wrong tool.    
However, the documents can be stored as note attachments

I think offering any formatting at all for a note is a slippery slope. People will say "I wrote my notes here and formatted them so they look nice. If only feature X existed, I could do Y with them, rather than having to export my note to software Z".

There seem to be certain natural places to make seams however. I would suggest that non-animatable css would be a natural place.

• Like 2
On 8/4/2018 at 2:17 PM, jefito said:

Alternatively you could print to PDF, and use a PDF editor to insert page breaks.

I'm considering the alternative of breaking my long list files into multiple single-page segments. But I have a lot of them, they're long, and it is such a pain...

I, too, though that I ought to be able to use a PDF editor to insert page breaks. But after researching it, it turns out you can't!

If you know of a way, please do let me know. But the best explanation I've seen is that a PDF is essentially a collection of page images. There is no "flow" capability in that universe, so page breaks have to be applied to the content before generating PDF from it.

Another alternative was to generate HTML and add "page-break="always" attributes to a div or heading tag.
But:
    1) When I export to HTML and open in Word, there is a checkbox and a newline at the start of every list element.
    2) When I open in (very old) DreamWeaver, I don't get checkboxes, but there are no bullets, either.
         (and DW doesn't print)

So at the moment I'm on a lookout for an HTML editor that reads the generated HTML properly, lets me add div tags, and has print capabilities, ideally with synchronized HTML and WYSIWYG views.

Hah! I found the magic incantation. Here's the process I'm using now:

1. Open the page in the browser. Refresh the page every time I add a page break and use the print-preview option to see where the next one goes.
  2. Add style="page-break-before: always;" to a heading, paragraph, list, or list element tag that needs it.
    For example: <p style="page-break-before: always;">  
    (I found the clearest syntax on this Buildable page. It turns out the newer "break-before" syntax isn't seen in my Edge browser, but the older page-break-before is.  Use whichever syntax works in the browser or editor you're printing from.)
  3. Since the generated HTML has no line breaks or indents, I'm using an ancient copy of DreamWeaver to position my cursor. (DreamWeaver syncs cursors between the HTML and WYSWIG views, so I position the cursor in the view window, and add the style attribute in the code window.)

It's still painful, but reasonably do-able, as long as you don't need to edit the file very often.

Byt now, there are may be better HTML editors for the purpose, too. (Let me know!) But so far the process works. And if you have to, you can always use a plain text editor and search for the next bit of text where a style attribute is needed.

Edited by eric_treelight
corrected the magic incantation
  • Level 5

How often do you need to print ? Do you need any specific features to print. Formatting, embedded tables or pictures ?

If not: Select all, copy to a program able to print, print.

Not a solution, but a better workaround than splitting notes that have no „page“ concept into „paged“ notes. Else you switch printers, and find that there is one line of text too much in your elaborated print-notes.

21 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

If not: Select all, copy to a program able to print, print.

If only that worked! The copy and paste works--except for the bullets and new lines you see in Word.
But you still don't get reasonable page breaks.
Posted the solution I found just about a minute ago!
:__)

• Level 5

I have no problem to convert into real pages, doing this on my Mac: Open note, cmd-A to select all, cmd-C to copy the selection.

Now I use Pages, but MS Word should do the same, as all page layout / word processing programs. Lean editors like Notepad (Windows) or TextEdit (Mac) are probably not as good, because they have no page layout.

It snuggly pastes into the document, inserts page breaks based on the defined rules of the template used, and allows to print. To avoid overwriting the initial template settings, use "Paste & adapt style" to insert only the text content. If you have formatting to retain, use plain "Paste".

No issue at all:

image.thumb.png.c79d2942858c55a3e1403c063fac0088.png