Marry Evernote and Dropbox

jcelest

• Level 5*
On 8/3/2018 at 4:08 AM, jcelest said:

Any plan to bring Dropbox and Evernote together like with Google Drive? I would really like that.

Hi.  I still haven't worked out the benefits of that feature - I can (and do) post links to files in my notes from Onedrive,  DropBox,  GoogleDrive and others and while they aren't quite as pretty as the Google feature makes them - and I don't have a menu button to open Explorer to look at the files - they still open up when I want them.  Google integrations (I'm guessing) would be easy because Evernote uses co-located servers and has internal connections.  Others,  not so much.

• Level 5*
On 8/2/2018 at 8:08 PM, jcelest said:

Any plan to bring Dropbox and Evernote together like with Google Drive? I would really like that.

I'm not a Dropbox (or Google Drive User).  Could you identify the benefits of storing files in Dropbox instead of Evernote?

I prefer storing the file as a note attachment.  
- I have no concerns about the file location (folder/subfolder,/...)
- the file and versions are backed up
- file contents are indexed for searching

On the rare requirement for cloud storage, I use Apple iCloud

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, DTLow said:

Could you identify the benefits of storing files in Dropbox instead of Evernote?

Good question - In my case...

Reference PDFs can be quite large - full user guides or product manuals - and long (I have one that rocks 400 pages!) - and that's bumping up both the database size and slowing my searches down in two ways - more pages to search through,  and hundreds of thousands more words to generate background noise for my searches.  While I'll consult my car manual if I want to change something mechanical,  I don't need to search it for possible references to the word 'bolt' when I'm looking at crossbows...  It's enough to have a bookmark note to remind me where I stashed the manual when I need it.  Big reference PDFs are much better in connected storage locations.

Smaller ones - I have around 7,500 attached PDFs with one-page user guides and receipts,  and I need to see the content.  They're fine (in fact essential) to have as attachments,  and I want to search the full content of all those notes each time.

As long as you bear in mind that a remote file isn't indexed for searches (you'll need to add an 'exec summary' of the content anyway so you can find it again) it's easy to choose which way to treat individual documents.

YMMV! :)

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, DTLow said:

Could you identify the benefits of storing files in Dropbox instead of Evernote?

Two for me, mostly for Excel files, which I link to the local version in a note:

1. A guaranteed backup every time you change the attachment.  Nice for those models that might get updated multiple times in a single day.
  2. Not sure it is the case now, but in the past Excel files with Pivot tables would get corrupted when the attachments  folder in EN wasn't cleared as it should be.  The file name would have a (1) appended to it and things would fail.  Fixable, but a PITA.  If it's fixed I would still leave the files in DropBox because of reason 1.

This works when you don't need to search the contents of the file.

Archived