I consider this a bug more than a feature request:

What:   Please change the indent shortcut from:

Shift ⇧ + Command ⌘ + [

Shift ⇧ + Command ⌘ + ]

to

Command ⌘ + [

Command ⌘ + ]

Why:  OS X convention is 

Command ⌘ + [ and Command ⌘ + ].  This is observed by all other applications that I have access to.  Evernote breaks this convention.

Thank you

2 replies to this idea

On 7/28/2018 at 8:40 AM, picoglot said:

Hello,

I consider this a bug more than a feature request:

Shift ⇧ + Command ⌘ + [

Shift ⇧ + Command ⌘ + ]

to

Command ⌘ + [

Command ⌘ + ]

Why:  OS X convention is 

Command ⌘ + [ and Command ⌘ + ].  This is observed by all other applications that I have access to.  Evernote breaks this convention.

Thank you

Evernote is already using  ⌘ + [ and  ⌘ + ] to go back and forth between notes. It's unfortunate when signs like [ and } are used for keyboard shortcuts, as it does not work on all keyboards.

However, you can change the shortcuts yourself in Preferences > Shortcuts > App Shortcuts.

On 7/28/2018 at 1:40 AM, picoglot said:

Shift ⇧ + Command ⌘ + [
Shift ⇧ + Command ⌘ + ]

to

Command ⌘ + [
Command ⌘ + ]

Why:  OS X convention is Command ⌘ + [ and Command ⌘ + ].  This is observed by all other applications that I have access to.  Evernote breaks this convention.

You actually can override the shortcut Evernote is using if you're on a Mac.

Here's how...

1. Go to System Preferences --> Keyboard --> Shortcuts [top tab] --> App Shortcuts [sidebar tab].
2. Click "+" at the bottom of the table. A small modal overlay will appear and ask for more details.
3. From the Application dropdown, choose "Evernote".
4. For Menu Title, use the exact text used in Evernote's menu (Format --> Text --> Increase Indent Level || Decrease Indent Level)
5. For Keyboard Shortcut, focus the input and type the shortcut you want. I've tried Command⌘+] and Command⌘+which work, but right now I'm trying Tab / Shift+Tab, which I set not 5 minutes ago to see if it fixes Evernote's broken bullet/linebreak behavior (Cheesus, how do they ***** up bullets? But here we are.).
6. Click Add.

That's it. If you go back into Evernote, your new shortcut will actually appear in the dang menu as if 'twere magic itself. Maybe this conflicts with moving back and forth between notes, but lets be honest, who the F cares about or uses that.

Good luck!

Archived