Web database does not sync changes made on desktop

Hi! 

I am mainly using the desktop app on my PC to make changes to my notes. Since a few weeks all changes are not updated on the web database no matter how many times I press the sync button. It worked fine again for a while after I emptied the trash, but now I have the same problem again. Since it is the web database that is not updating properly I cannot reinstall the desktop app without loosing data. This seems to be the default solution to syncing problems otherwise when having problems that the desktop app is not updating. I am trying here to not having to manually copy all the missing notes to the web database, but finding a better and faster solution. The desktop is synchronising fine from the database . 

Any ideas what I should do?

Thank you in advance!

/I

• Level 5

The master copy of your notes is the one on the Evernote servers, accessed through the Web interface. So it sounds as if the desktop app is not syncing to that master database on the EN servers. (It is naturally reading its own database on your computer correctly.) Sometimes in a case like this the problem is caused by logging into the Web interface with different credentials (username and password), thus creating a new account. But if you are seeing your previous notes in the Web interface, and if emptying the trash did cause notes to sync properly for awhile, then that is probably not the case here.

I presume you have already tried closing Evernote completely (File > Exit; the red X-box at the top right corner of the window only closes the interface) and restarting it; and restarting your computer. If those have not helped, then reinstalling Evernote may be your best next move. The safe way to do this would be to export the notes that have not been updated/synced to the online database, in order to preserve them. Do File > Export, and export them one at a time in ENEX format to a safe folder on your computer (not to your usual Evernote database location). Then uninstall Evernote and reinstall. Let it download the notes from the online database, which should give you back everything except the notes that did not sync there. Then do File > Import for each note, and restore them to their proper notebooks. Then try syncing, and check the Web interface to make sure that they are there. I hope this is some help!

Thank you Dave-in-Decatur! I did as you said and exported the notes and un- and reinstalled Evernote on the desktop. Then the strange thing happened that when I reinstalled and logged in to my account some of the notes that are not on the web database appeared in the reinstalled desktop version. BEFORE I imported the notes. So those notes are somewhere savedon my account but I do not see them. It's a mystery to me!

Probably I will now just use the web database to add and change notes. That means manually copying from the desktop version the missing notes. But rather that extra work than not having all my notes everywhere.

Thank you anyhow!

Best,

Tilia

Archived