Jump to content
Chantal Leonard

Evernote for Windows 6.14 Beta 1

Recommended Posts

Hi Folks - 

We're releasing version 6.14 Beta 1. You can download it here, or check for updates if you have beta features turned on. 

This release brings a number of fixes with some notable editing tweaks noted below. In addition, we've enabled the "Notebooks" view in this Beta with improved performance. Please give this a go and let us know what you think. 

Thanks,

Chantal and the rest of the Windows team

 

Release Notes for Version 6.14

Note: Versions 6.14 is supported in Windows OS versions 7 and up.

Fixed:

- Losing of indent for ordered list after switching notes

- Note changes aren't saved when quickly navigating away from the note

- Cannot delete via right click menu -> delete on inline PDF.

- Unable to invoke Assign Tags dialog in single note view in joined notebook/space with view permission by Ctrl+Alt+T hotkey

New:

- We've introduced a Notebooks view to Evernote for Windows making it easier to view and manage your notebooks from one place

Share this post


Link to post

I often have to click on the title twice to get a cursor if:

1-I reached the note via a note link

2-There is no bulleted or numbered list present on the note, and

3-Either the bulleted list or numbered list icon appears highlighted (I noticed this before but did not associate it with anything till now).

When I finally get a cursor, it may appear either at the beginning or at the end of the title (even if I clicked on the end).

This seems fairly consistent behavior.  I am not yet sure whether this happens under other circumstances.

Some of this behavior was already present in 6.13 GA, except the part about the cursor not always appearing exactly where you click.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Morning All. After installing beta, it appears notes have a major problem being printed. Going back to previous version.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, fchandler said:

Morning All. After installing beta, it appears notes have a major problem being printed. Going back to previous version.

we're taking a look. can you give me a sense for what you're seeing on your end?

Share this post


Link to post

On the reported printing problems, I was getting blank pages until I turned off the computer completely, then back on.  It is now printing fine. 

On what I reported about title issues, it now behaves somewhat differently (putting the cursor to the beginning of the title more often than before, rather than not appearing at all, but not always).  Rest is as reported.

Also, before I could not see what the new Notebooks feature was until turning off the computer also.

Not sure why all of these issues changed from turning off the computer (rather than just rebooting, which I did do).  Possible connection with Windows update, I think.

 

Share this post


Link to post

Suggestion (made this the last time you played with inserting the "all notes" button too... move it ABOVE shortcuts.  I have a very long list of shortcuts with "dividers" to keep it organized -- but "all notes" would be more helpful  below "ne1015011789_evernoteallnotesScreenClip2.png.0d27a9484c10dcd8bcf89e277b2cf7e7.pngw note" and above "shortcuts"... that being said, as you can see I have it in my tool bar in a 'convenient' location.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

?️  Still seeing the following...

Tags turn "invisible". Reported 2018-03-21 ☹️
 
activty list - no sort order?  appears random - reported 2018-07-21
 
 

? Just wondering if a server side fix was in place (since just the other day) for cross platform sync issues (notes and shortcuts).
I don't mind doing a bit of testing on it.. but would like to do so "controlled" versus having things get wiped out at a bad time.

All shortcuts wiped out - reported 2018-07-18
 

Share this post


Link to post

I have no idea what you test this "notebooks" feature on for a machine.. but on my i7, 16gb ram, 1tb SSD, it is still so slow it's an unusable feature for the most part.  Evernote goes "unresponsive" for several seconds waiting for the list to update.

Also reported when it was first introduced:

Evernote "notebook view" is slow (unusable). Reported 2018-04-25
http://www.evernote.com/l/AJCPexiPo-5A1aQrGFyeEe6RfZkBbjwDCSY/

I'll admit, performance is better that from back in April.. and is reasonable on a small notebook of a couple hundred notes or less.   Stuttered and didn't like my 3000 note notebook, but eventually worked (2-5 seconds)... and when I looked at my biggest single notebook of 14,000+ notes, it stalled out for a good 15+ seconds - anything more than a couple hundred notes it is useless I would say.

Share this post


Link to post

This previously reported problem is still present, just thought I would mention it again since it is a recent problem:

 

Share this post


Link to post

A suggestion: "New Note" and "All Notes" in the Left Panel should be optional and able to be hidden in Options, since they duplicate some functionality in the toolbar, give people the option to use either the Left Panel or the toolbar for such things.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, ej8899 said:

I have no idea what you test this "notebooks" feature on for a machine.. but on my i7, 16gb ram, 1tb SSD, it is still so slow it's an unusable feature for the most part.  Evernote goes "unresponsive" for several seconds waiting for the list to update.

On my older i7, 8GB, SSD it takes 20+ seconds to load the notebooks feature. EN is unresponsive during that time. Not useable yet...

Share this post


Link to post

top tool bar was wiped out except for sync button.

Was working fine this morning.. I go out for a few hours, (work on a different computer with evernote 6.13.14, along with an ipad)  come back, start evernote 6.14.1 and this is what I'm left with. Normally I have "all notes | new note+ | ink note| sync | usage | screenshot | < > | activity | |work chat".

1917742973_evernotebug-toptoolbarwipedout-ScreenClip.png.d2cec2128f96d9b19269fcd6880539fc.png

 

Share this post


Link to post

Found a PDF file that the layout of the PDF file gets corrupted when viewing it.  I know there was a lot of prior discussions about PDF - so perhaps this was already addressed.

* I see that it does this in web viewer too - running Chromium on Linux Mint 19.

I can save the PDF and it displays correctly in Foxit PDF viewer. 

Haven't noticed this before -- and I do create and save a LOT of pdf files --- but then, I went through and checked several of those other PDF's and all seem to be fine.
Here's a link to the original unfilled PDF if you're interested in trouble-shooting:  http://www.forms.ssb.gov.on.ca/mbs/ssb/forms/ssbforms.nsf/GetFileAttach/006-FRO-001E~2/$File/FRO-001E.pdf

482164745_evernotebug-pdfdisplaymessedup.png.d702f0f50c7613091e96a0edf6f55fc2.png

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Some bugs:

Sometimes when working with notes that contain links, particularly if they are bulleted, pasted text that is not a link will turn green.  It won't inherit any other attribute (bold, underline, previous link info, etc), just the green color.  This bug was present in 6.13 GA.

Also with bulleted lines, if I delete an entire line, the cursor will often jump to the beginning of the previous line (a behavior very similar to my previously reported title cursor bug).

Also with bullets, if I try to convert a bulleted line into a numbered line located right after a rule line, it will often show both the bullet and the number in the very same line (none of the other nearby bulleted lines are changed, as would normally happen).

Share this post


Link to post

Some bad news and some good news ....

(1) The user-created dictionary is not used for spell checking in 6.14 beta 1. The is a regression.

(2) " - Losing of indent for ordered list after switching notes " is fixed for my use case

 

Share this post


Link to post

Confirmed.

This version prints blank notes or notes with only a picture in it.

On 7/24/2018 at 9:10 AM, fchandler said:

Morning All. After installing beta, it appears notes have a major problem being printed. Going back to previous version.

Confirmed.  The program prints out blank paper with no content or the occasional picture.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/24/2018 at 9:10 PM, Don Dz said:

On the reported printing problems, I was getting blank pages until I turned off the computer completely, then back on.  It is now printing fine. 

On what I reported about title issues, it now behaves somewhat differently (putting the cursor to the beginning of the title more often than before, rather than not appearing at all, but not always).  Rest is as reported.

Also, before I could not see what the new Notebooks feature was until turning off the computer also.

Not sure why all of these issues changed from turning off the computer (rather than just rebooting, which I did do).  Possible connection with Windows update, I think.

 

Cannot confirm.  I have turned off the machine, done a restart.  It is still printing blank pages.

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/24/2018 at 11:44 AM, Chantal Leonard said:

we're taking a look. can you give me a sense for what you're seeing on your end?

Can you let us know of a fix date for the printing?  This is a bit of surprise bug for the program.  

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post

This new beta holds a lot of promise.  However, rolled back due to the printing error.

 

Jerry

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Ethan Mings said:

This new beta holds a lot of promise.  However, rolled back due to the printing error.

 

Jerry

Print to PDF works in this beta version.

Edited by Ethan Mings
update.

Share this post


Link to post
37 minutes ago, Ethan Mings said:

Cannot confirm.  I have turned off the machine, done a restart.  It is still printing blank pages.

Sorry, should have been more thorough, printing to PDF and preview both work fine, printing to paper produces blank paper for me as well, before turning off and restarting, I was getting blank pages on both the PDF and the preview.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
16 hours ago, ej8899 said:

top tool bar was wiped out except for sync button.

Was working fine this morning.. I go out for a few hours, (work on a different computer with evernote 6.13.14, along with an ipad)  come back, start evernote 6.14.1 and this is what I'm left with. Normally I have "all notes | new note+ | ink note| sync | usage | screenshot | < > | activity | |work chat".

1917742973_evernotebug-toptoolbarwipedout-ScreenClip.png.d2cec2128f96d9b19269fcd6880539fc.png

 

I lost my toolbar settings too.

Even stranger, there's a single row of pixels visible of selectable text just beneath the toolbar. Dragging it out into a text editor and it turns out to be some metadata about a completely unrelated note to the one I'm currently looking at, one that's not even in the same notebook. In this case the text is as so:

reated:    2018-07-23 10:32    Updated:    2018-07-23 10:44
Tags:    Problems, RFS, Samba/CIFS

It doesn't matter if I change notebooks or notes, the same hidden text is there.

ScreenClip.png

Share this post


Link to post
21 hours ago, ej8899 said:

top tool bar was wiped out except for sync button.

Was working fine this morning.. I go out for a few hours, (work on a different computer with evernote 6.13.14, along with an ipad)  come back, start evernote 6.14.1 and this is what I'm left with. Normally I have "all notes | new note+ | ink note| sync | usage | screenshot | < > | activity | |work chat".

1917742973_evernotebug-toptoolbarwipedout-ScreenClip.png.d2cec2128f96d9b19269fcd6880539fc.png

 

It seems we must have somehow thought you were using the current default toolbar (the default toolbar has now changed to just Sync - AllNotes is now in the sidebar). This would be a bug... About the pixels, can you tell me what your DPI setting is (for instance, I'm running at 225% - I don't see that). Also, have you tweaked any of the compatibility settings (in the property dialog of the actual exe)?

@Liam Gretton Same question about settings to you too...

(Gads, I hate when we change the toolbar defaults!)

Oh, and what version of Windows you're on...
Thx!

Share this post


Link to post
24 minutes ago, dconnet said:

About the pixels

Ah. I can repro it a little. Not sure there's anything we can do - my repro case is where Windows applies auto-scaling. I have 2 monitors, 225% and 100%. If the app enables DPI awareness, the 100% monitor has the extra pixels. If I disable awareness, then the 225% monitor has them. Basically, if Windows has to scale the app, the pixels appear.

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, Liam Gretton said:

I lost my toolbar settings too.

What version were you upgrading from? I've just tested from 6.11.2 and 6.13.14 (to 6.14.1) and my toolbar was unchanged.

Edit: did Windows reboot while EN was running? (or you logged off?) My investigation points to the long-standing issue we have with updating the registry if Windows forces us to close because of reboot/logoff (we just don't seem to be able to write our reg values). 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, dconnet said:

Ah. I can repro it a little. Not sure there's anything we can do - my repro case is where Windows applies auto-scaling. I have 2 monitors, 225% and 100%. If the app enables DPI awareness, the 100% monitor has the extra pixels. If I disable awareness, then the 225% monitor has them. Basically, if Windows has to scale the app, the pixels appear.

I get the 'pixels' in a variety of locations... 175% scaling on primary screen, 100% on secondary (where EN is running when I'm not mobile).  Doesn't bother me, just doesn't look professional. 

Image.thumb.png.e6b72ce62a8fb7f0aae438cae30f90d0.png

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, dconnet said:

It seems we must have somehow thought you were using the current default toolbar (the default toolbar has now changed to just Sync - AllNotes is now in the sidebar). This would be a bug... About the pixels, can you tell me what your DPI setting is (for instance, I'm running at 225% - I don't see that). Also, have you tweaked any of the compatibility settings (in the property dialog of the actual exe)?

@Liam Gretton Same question about settings to you too...

(Gads, I hate when we change the toolbar defaults!)

Oh, and what version of Windows you're on...
Thx!

I'm on Windows 10, went from 6.13 GA to this beta. My DPI settings are 100% (even though I have a 4k monitor), I've never changed that. I've not touched the executable's compatibility settings either.

I have rebooted recently while EN was running, I applied some MS patches very recently and would have let Windows deal with shutting applications down. Not sure whether that was before or after 6.14b1 was installed though.

Share this post


Link to post

I am also having problems printing - it just prints blank pages.
In the past it would only print the first time in any session - now I can print any time - but only blank pages.

Print preview produces a PDF - as previously - which I can then print normally. 

Version: 6.14.1.7551, Windows 8.1, Oki C531DN

Share this post


Link to post
23 hours ago, cswilly said:

(1) The user-created dictionary is not used for spell checking in 6.14 beta 1. The is a regression. 

I have previously noted that Evernote doesn't carry over the user dictionary between updates.  I end up re-adding the same local placenames and the like every few days.

I have also previously suggested that the user dictionary goes into the database, so that it is available on whichever machine or platform is in use.
(No response yet)

Share this post


Link to post

Hi!  I am using 6.1.4.1.7551 (307551) on Windows 10.  If I right click on the "Notebooks" header in the left panel, then click on "Export Notes", the program behaves as expected and creates an export file.  If I right click on the "All Notes" header in the left panel and then click on "Export Notes", the program does nothing.

Share this post


Link to post

Export bug

Selecting all notes  in the note list and clicking export correctly exports everything in the display order (usually updated in my case).

Exporting notes via Notebooks view (on the left panel) produces a jumbled order of notes, with recent notes both at the beginning and at the end of the exported file, even though the sort order in "Sort by" (Notebook view) says Updated. 

If the issue is sorting by Notebook name first, it is showing notes in a notebook starting with "C" before notes in another starting with "B" (reserve order is not selected).

 

Notebook view doesn't seem to provide any of the useful options  before exporting that the usual method via the note list provides.

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/26/2018 at 12:35 PM, Don Dz said:

Sometimes when working with notes that contain links, particularly if they are bulleted, pasted text that is not a link will turn green.  It won't inherit any other attribute (bold, underline, previous link info, etc), just the green color.  This bug was present in 6.13 GA.

Also with bulleted lines, if I delete an entire line, the cursor will often jump to the beginning of the previous line (a behavior very similar to my previously reported title cursor bug).

I can absolutely confirm this - and the bug has been there a while.

Share this post


Link to post

Our beloved PDF viewer does not seem to support Unicode or at least Chinese characters. When I add a file with Chinese file name (admittedly rare event for me but there is a bunch of Chinese round...), I only get a lot of numbers and letters:

nocharacters.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/26/2018 at 5:11 AM, ej8899 said:

Found a PDF file that the layout of the PDF file gets corrupted when viewing it.  I know there was a lot of prior discussions about PDF - so perhaps this was already addressed.

* I see that it does this in web viewer too - running Chromium on Linux Mint 19.

I can save the PDF and it displays correctly in Foxit PDF viewer. 

Haven't noticed this before -- and I do create and save a LOT of pdf files --- but then, I went through and checked several of those other PDF's and all seem to be fine.

Same problem here (6.14.1.7551 (307551) Prerelease (CE Build ce-48.0.5483))

  • Corrupted in the built-in PDF viewer, looks about the same problem as yours, with the text columns all over the place
  • Thumbnail in snipped and card view looks OK
  • Opens correctly in Chrome
  • Opens correctly in other viewers

This is the PDF: https://ac.els-cdn.com/S0370269309008594/1-s2.0-S0370269309008594-main.pdf?_tid=7210c579-856b-49d4-9659-43a9a56290b2&amp;acdnat=1532784799_d89fd54f8eb117c7917a50cc7c5f2892

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/26/2018 at 11:11 AM, ej8899 said:

Found a PDF file that the layout of the PDF file gets corrupted when viewing it.  I know there was a lot of prior discussions about PDF - so perhaps this was already addressed.

* I see that it does this in web viewer too - running Chromium on Linux Mint 19.

I can save the PDF and it displays correctly in Foxit PDF viewer.

I see this corruption in basically all my pdf files since 14 Beta 1. Typically, the layout is messed up and backgrounds turn black.

I'm working with A LOT of pdfs - very distracting bug and I am almost tempted to ask whether such an obvious bug could have been found on EN side prior to release? But let's not go there?

Share this post


Link to post

Minor bug: 

  • Open a note that contains an internal note link in a separate window
  • Click on the note link to go to the linked note
  • The note displays correctly, but the window's title bar does not change to match the new note's title

Share this post


Link to post

I can't drag files out of a note into GMAIL or a folder. This is a recurring problem in Evernote; happens every other update it seems. Rollllllling back. 

Share this post


Link to post

This thread has been locked as a newer version is now available.

To discuss, go here:

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...